Author Topic: GoDaddy moving to cPanel Linux  (Read 1241 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
GoDaddy moving to cPanel Linux
« on: March 24, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
I got an email today from GoDaddy saying they will be moving all their Linux stuff to a new platform, cPanel Linux.
The promise is that it will be done, moved, and I won't have to do a thing, and all will work just peachy.

I'm not sure what the implication is for cPanel.  I'll do some reading, but will all the scripts and php engines and all work ok under this new platform? 

I wonder if there are hosts already using this cPanel thing.  Is it better?  Is it faster or slower?  Do all the tools work or will there be areas ( I see once in awhile that a routine requires version such and such of a program like php and won't run on a higher version.)

Just wondering if this will be when I lose my web page.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: GoDaddy moving to cPanel Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 12:21:21 PM »

Hi Dale,
In December 2017 I moved my GoDaddy Deluxe Linux (at their strong suggestion) to their cPanel.  My invoice reads Deluxe Hosting with cPanel so presume that is what you have been told.  After a bit of apprehension at the time I like it better and seems easier to use.  Don't know the application benefits but all seems good - other than the high costs of GoDaddy services.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 12:55:35 PM »
Paul,
Well, that is good news.  I'm paid up for awhile yet, but certainly would, in these economic and other times, worth looking about.

So far, it has been set  up, and zero interaction to modify or do, so I'm pleased that way.

I am assuming that as they discard/abandon old services and move to the new, that they'd let my current subscription run out before billing me at a higher rate.

Who knows, maybe something newer or better would surface by then.

Oh, with the new 'premium' service they gave you, does the https certificate come as part of the deal?

Thanks again, Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 01:11:54 PM »
Even if you went to another hosting provider, odds are they too are using CPanel.  It's just a standardized web interface for configuring your Linux system.  So yes, it's some new buttons to get used to, but that's really it.

Knowing GoDaddy, I doubt an SSL cert is included.  They'll want to charge for that.  And they do charge a lot.

There's always SSLForFree which uses the Let's Encrypt certificate.  But you have to manually install that every 3 months.  So it becomes a question of how much time and effort you want to put into it.

There are other hosting places that give free certs out.  Those too are usually Let's Encrypt.  But they built in a program that will automatically fetch and install those for you.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 01:43:05 PM »

Hi Dale,
No, GoDaddy does not offer the certificate free.  I just got a new quote last week and it would be about $200 for the first year for my domains, then list prices.  Current pricing:  https://ca.godaddy.com/offers/ssl-certificate/month?isc=sshl5bca01&countryview=1&currencytype=CAD&msclkid=ce32c29d7a9b149943c09ce758e3a251&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=en-ca_sec-ssl_sem_x_b_x_x_x_pros_intl_x_001&utm_term=godaddy%20ssl%20cert&utm_content=gdcorp_ssl&gclid=CMaF_oeys-gCFUKlxQIdVvULsQ&gclsrc=ds

Actually I don't think the cPanel hosting was higher cost than the renewal of the Deluxe plan at the time.  Probably mark-up of the old plan to help convince users to change over to cPanel.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:36:37 PM »
Ditto on PaulMy's experience with the GoDaddy move. Think mine was around that same time as well. Cost was about the same for the annual service. cPanel has been a lot better to use than using the prior interface.

And the SSL cert is extra, but would recommend not buying it from GoDaddy. Search the forums here. You will find a thread about installing a free SSL cert. Fairly easy to do.

Still with GoDaddy more out of inertia than anything else. There are other, cheaper providers out there. Just a a bit of work to move. That said, they have been good to work with.
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Ecowitt 3501 | Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge/WeatherBridge
AmbientWeather.net
PWSweather: KMTSTEVE24
https://casskalinski.slickpic.com

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:58:01 PM »
Yeah, it is a balance and once established I understand it isn't like porting your cell service from one place to another.

If they are going to pretty much do all the move and guarantee it doesn't goof up, which the essentially have, I'll probably take this time confined to my house here in Wis for the next 30 days to get some reading done, clean up some junk I don't need on the web server, and then figure out how brave I am.  I'll start with the SSL, from the free service, I guess.

Thank you to EVERYONE for their sharing and help.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 07:21:27 AM »
I am assuming that as they discard/abandon old services and move to the new, that they'd let my current subscription run out before billing me at a higher rate.
They didn't automatically abandon my old service after I was forcibly converted last summer.  Only in the past month has my old Linux Deluxe service, renamed by them to 'gwwilkins.org.old', been terminated, and then only after many notices that it was going to be turned off if I didn't pay up.  Be sure your old service is turned off and any automatic renewals are also terminated.

I really do like the cPanel!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com