Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 39685 times)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2020, 10:46:47 AM »
Ok i am now in official test mode, got the fars running on the main site and the pro on the 113 wu site and the wind speed shown on the pro site is using my spare anny mounted just above the shield so will know real wind speed at shield height. Now time will tell the story.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2020, 03:04:20 PM »
How much does the shield your testing out run? Funny how a temp. probe(s) can read 1.5 to 2 degrees higher even in overcast windy conditions during the day. I have 3 temp probes in a small bird house painted white inside and out with a open bottom in it; all of which tend to run higher than davis non-aspirated shield.

Thanks,
tweatherman

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #252 on: February 15, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
If only the bottom of your bird house is vented and since heat rises....

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #253 on: February 15, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
Yes very true but if I put holes in the top and sides rain will eventually get on the sensors.

Thanks,
tweatherman

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2020, 12:22:30 PM »
An upside-down container is essentially a heat trap. I would expect the sensors in there to read high.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2020, 03:46:36 PM »
Just an update to the old post, Jan at Barani has sent Valentine weather and myself a new version of the Pro shield for testing. It is supposed to have improved low wind results and mine should be here Monday and i am going to test it against a Davis fars. I and i am sure Randy will post some results after we get things going.

Does the design of the new Pro looks any different?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »
Yes there are a couple things that are different, the inside of the white shield is also black now and the mounting plate now holds the probe clamp instead of being on the shield itself, a lot easier to swap probes. So far the low wind speed readings are much improved compared to the old pro and today the wind has been mostly calm with winds when it blows up to 4 to 5 on average and for short periods of time. This morning the wind was mostly calm until nearly noon and the pro hung in there with the fars. The fars so far today has a max .4 degrees higher than the pro.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2020, 05:31:32 PM »
What size sensors would fit inside of this shield?

Thanks,
tweatherman

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2020, 05:38:28 PM »
I really haven't measured it but it is pretty small inside the shield. Valentine weather probably knows more about that than i do, my sensors are homemade and pretty small to fit inside the shield.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2020, 07:09:16 PM »
Yes there are a couple things that are different, the inside of the white shield is also black now and the mounting plate now holds the probe clamp instead of being on the shield itself, a lot easier to swap probes. So far the low wind speed readings are much improved compared to the old pro and today the wind has been mostly calm with winds when it blows up to 4 to 5 on average and for short periods of time. This morning the wind was mostly calm until nearly noon and the pro hung in there with the fars. The fars so far today has a max .4 degrees higher than the pro.

I wonder when they will be on sale?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2020, 07:24:10 PM »
I think they are now.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
I would check first for the new shield availability.
A little video of differences. Jan told me in an email they changed the plastic material along with black color on the new shield reducing heat and reflection. 

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zp2TuF0Ifo&feature=youtu.be&t=10[/youtube]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
Here are a couple of SHT31 sensors I trimmed down. These fit just fine inside the shield without touching.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
Here are a couple of SHT31 sensors I trimmed down. These fit just fine inside the shield without touching.

Nice!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2020, 04:33:45 AM »
I used a pair of dikes to trim the board down. Takes about 5 minutes just don't cut through the circuit anywhere. I use silk I think its a 300 thread count to cover the full sensor as a filter. 

Correction I'm using 100 count. 300 would also work I'm sure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JOYKV9I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:50:52 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2020, 05:54:22 AM »
Here is the store but like I said check and make sure you are getting the updated version. I personally would wait for more testing.
https://www.allmeteo.com/meteo-shop/solar-radiation-shield-for-weather-station
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2020, 03:13:40 PM »

What did you use to make it a “probe” without the sensor sliding out of the shield?

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #267 on: February 18, 2020, 03:28:40 PM »
Jan says they have been selling the new version since July.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2020, 02:39:27 PM »
Sun reflection over snow I can report very good results today. 750 W/m2 solar and seeing no temperature increase inside the shield. It's running a few tenths under the FARS. Very good news indeed, the new Pro shield design change with added black and plastic composition is looking like a winner. Prior testing I was seeing 2F+  over snow.

I would still like to see an extended period of full sun at least an hour-long of 0-3 mph at anemometer height and check for heat buildup inside the shield for conclusive evidence but with snow reflection, I'm seeing virtually no warming of the sensor inside the shield.

In general, the PRO runs cooler daytime by about 1/2 degree vs Davis FARS with wind speeds in 8+ mph range. Sometimes it gets as much as .8 tenths cooler as wind speeds increase.

Here is 1:35 pm snapshot 700 W/m2 solar over snow with a 4 mph wind speed less at shield itself I'm sure.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2020, 03:04:41 PM »
This may have gotten buried Jan is looking for a few more testers if anyone is setup to test if interested.

Hello, please also have a look at this Davis FARS vs MeteoShield Pro comparison. If anyone wants to test the new helical MeteoShield Pro, let us know. We will offer a number of users free shields for just shipping costs if they want to do and publish comparisons.
MeteoShield Pro vs. Davis FARS:
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2020, 03:15:08 PM »
This may have gotten buried Jan is looking for a few more testers if anyone is setup to test if interested.

Hello, please also have a look at this Davis FARS vs MeteoShield Pro comparison. If anyone wants to test the new helical MeteoShield Pro, let us know. We will offer a number of users free shields for just shipping costs if they want to do and publish comparisons.
MeteoShield Pro vs. Davis FARS:
I assume for comparison, one would need another sensor, a transmitter, and a console "like" devise to monitor both at once on different channels?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2020, 03:22:21 PM »
Doing such test(s) assumes all the sensors are identical which is not a reality, there are always slight production variances...UNLESS all the sensors are quantified FIRST.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2020, 03:25:52 PM »
Doing such test(s) assumes all the sensors are identical which is not a reality, there are always slight production variances.
You'd definitely have to do a side by first. When I was comparing 31's, I'd just stick two in the sensor chamber and merely switch between the two with my console in hand to see immediate results. Works very well.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2020, 04:15:53 PM »
BEFORE actual usage, simply put all three sensors in a Styrofoam box and see what they individually read...repeat with COLD box (couple hours in freezer) and again with HOT box (wife/girlfriend's hair dryer).  Plot all the results to show slope/intercept for each sensor. This is when an ENVOY8X is very handy.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2020, 04:37:22 PM »
I use the Davis envoy 8x with up to 8 channels. JerryG I'm not sure what kind of setup he uses.  As far as results go a tenth or two between sensors isn't that big of a deal when we are looking at FARS vs a passive shield where huge differences have occurred.

Having a desert climate tester would be great. Jerry is hampered by lots of wind & clouds, I have it a little better than Jerry with more sun and less wind but still not that many dead still periods except at night.

I wouldn't go to any extra expense if you don't already have the equipment unless you were planning on expanding and a passive shield was something you wanted to try. My goal is to switch over completely if testing continues to look good. 
Randy