Author Topic: MX on Windows Setup guide?  (Read 970 times)

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
MX on Windows Setup guide?
« on: February 21, 2021, 08:39:52 AM »
So I've had MX running a while now local on my weather pc and wanted to start testing some features on my server. I really like the software but I have to bash the documentation and support. I upgraded to the most recent build, also not an intuitive process with no easy directions to follow so not sure that was event done right.

The official forum and wiki are dreadful IMHO - very difficult to search or find a simple PDF of setting up the additional web files feature which I assume from Googling issues is how I would get the system to create files over my LAN to the server without using FTP.

Does a simple PDF setup / configure guide exist for this software? Any assistance in finding current valid documentation would be helpful. I joined the official forum and never received a response is that common?

Thanks in advance.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline box

• Forecaster
Re: MX on Windows Setup guide?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:57:52 AM »
So I've had MX running a while now local on my weather pc and wanted to start testing some features on my server. I really like the software but I have to bash the documentation and support. I upgraded to the most recent build, also not an intuitive process with no easy directions to follow so not sure that was event done right.

The official forum and wiki are dreadful IMHO - very difficult to search or find a simple PDF of setting up the additional web files feature which I assume from Googling issues is how I would get the system to create files over my LAN to the server without using FTP.

Does a simple PDF setup / configure guide exist for this software? Any assistance in finding current valid documentation would be helpful. I joined the official forum and never received a response is that common?

Thanks in advance.

The information is all there although I would agree it takes a bit of finding

It's the difference between an enthusiast product and a commercial one I'm afraid.

It's a pretty polished product essentially for free, commercial alternatives cost proper money

Responses in the forum are usually pretty fast and helpful, I am sure they will respond shortly

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 09:04:10 AM »
Thanks - Yeah I was hoping there was a user written pdf guide that consolidated, streamlined all the necessary setup for windows only without the endless click click dead-ends. It is a great software, maybe someone will pull the data out and create a usable publishable PDF user guide. There are many software packages in the same situation that have full documentation.

Note: Some clarification "Responses in the forum are usually pretty fast and helpful, I am sure they will respond shortly" However I never received an admin email allowing me to post in the forum, signed up three times, over several weeks, used three different emails and checked all the possible spam buckets, the lights are on but nobody is home.

Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline freddie

• Alcaston Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »
Hi Brian,

I'm the admin on the Cumulus forum.  Could you please PM me the email address you registered with and I will get your account activated.

Best regards,
Freddie
Freddie

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 12:02:42 PM »
Yeah I was hoping there was a user written pdf guide that consolidated, streamlined all the necessary setup for windows only without the endless click click dead-ends.
Not sure about the click click dead-ends comment, but there is allways improvements that can be made, and are... (YTBR)

It is a great software, maybe someone will pull the data out and create a usable publishable PDF user guide.
Volunteers would be welcome!  A hurdle is the ongoing program changes/improvements that would need to be kept up with.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »
maybe we need to look at why this page is insufficient then: https://cumuluswiki.org/a/MX_on_Windows_OS
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 01:04:35 PM »

Volunteers would be welcome!  A hurdle is the ongoing program changes/improvements that would need to be kept up with.

Enjoy,
Paul

are you volunteering again Paul lol
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 04:29:02 PM »
I'm still on b3043 but I run mine on a Raspberry Pi 3 using Jessie (I believe) and looks to be a lot involved to get it to work with the newer versions.

If I were anyone setting MX up I would definitely try and direct them to using a Pi system (which is very frugal on energy consumption) which has been VERY stable for me now for about 4 years.  I have the newest version downloaded but I only have so much free time to prep my Pi for a full upgrade to Buster.  I'm running Mono 4 but have been told that's no longer stable for the newer versions of MX.  I do nightly cloud backups of the entire CumulusMX directory so I may try an upgrade to a different Pi first as a test rig (as a software QA guy I can't get away from being like that).
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 04:51:34 PM »
But the "newest version downloaded" is not the newest version :lol: 
Can't help you with setting it up on Pi but understand there is a simplified tool available.  Having said that, I have my Pi put aside as haven't fully understood how.  But am pretty good with CumulusMX on Windows ;)

Enjoy,
Paul