Author Topic: Spam  (Read 1243 times)

Offline wd68

Spam
« on: November 02, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »
I have been sending weather info to Weather Underground for a few years now. Always had a paid type account as i was sending them my data. Now, I am getting spammed to death from there site. For whatever reason it is killing me with the adds and plain span that makes it hard to even see my information. When we started sending it was a given for ad free site. Did they change that or did it somehow get past there site?

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
Re: Spam
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 01:14:36 PM »
Spam, as in eMail?  Or Advert's on the dashboard?  If the latter, are you sure your page didn't get logged out? 

Offline wd68

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 01:22:46 PM »
At first it was adds now it s showing up in places that block what you are looking for. I cleared the browser catch and also changed my password. I use my email address as my user name. I just deleted the account and will see if that will work when i start it up again. Ever since they changed things have been screwed up. Now adds and spam showing up in my Browser when i start up to use it. I am getting a lot of the same type of adds on my site. It showed as a free account but i was told you got the premium with your weather station,, But i guess they have changed it.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 01:27:44 PM »
If you check your "Profile" and "Member Settings", do you see any expiration/membership details?

Offline wd68

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »
Yes i did. It did update to 1,20. Now good to 11,2,21 Still not working. I deleted this account and started a new account. My new address is KTXWICHI149. But when i go to log in it goes back to the old station address. I cleared the catch, not sure what else to do.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 01:40:57 PM »
Ugh. While I kind of doubt she is still with WU, you could try sending an eMail to Victoria.Gardner@ibm.com. In the past, she has been helpful sorting these things out. Otherwise, give it a day or so and see if you get lucky.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 01:44:16 PM »
Also check that your weather station is using your new account to post its data.

Offline wd68

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
will do. It shows the station but not connected. Do i need a API key from Ambient Weather to get it working?

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 02:01:15 PM »
You should be able to run the IPTools app, or access the IP address of your device and edit your "Weather Network" setting.

Offline wd68

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
Ambient weather is working. PWS is working. Weather underground is not or Weathercloud not and of course Chops. I need to get the old add out of them to make them send data again.

Offline wd68

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 02:20:32 PM »
Correction Ambient weather is not connected. Why PWS is connected is a mystery. No one else is connected

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 02:59:01 PM »
I don't think there should be a need to start a new WU account. Whatever is the matter or not should be able to be resolved with the existing account. If you start with a new account you'll lose all your historical data which can be valuable.

I think it is important to define some terms so that we can properly communicate what things are and aren't....

ads = advertisements you see on a website. They may be banner ads or even pop-up type, although pop-up type should be less common than it was a few years back.
spam = emails with unsolicited junk. Sometimes you can opt out...other times you just can't. A good email service should filter most of these out (Gmail, Outlook/Hotmail, Yahoo...etc.)

Weather Underground should not show up ads if you signed in and you have a weather station configured to upload data. If you see ads then something is wrong with your browser login or browser cache. It is also possible that your computer is infected with malware and ads are occurring because of other unwanted spyware/adware that you may unknowingly have. If it is Windows computer I suggest Malwarebytes to clean up the computer.

If you are using Weather Underground on a mobile device it used to be that you got an ad-free experience on their mobile app if you were a weather station contributor. This is unfortunately no longer the case. You can though still get an ad-free experience on mobile if you are using the browser instead of their app.

It would also be helpful to know what type and model of weather station you are using and sharing what your IDs are so that we can look at what is and isn't uploading and what the data looks like.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wd68

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 07:29:56 PM »
I am running a WS-2902 by Ambient Weather. Have two station ids right now. Old was KTXWICHI117, New one created today WTXWICHI149. Ambient weather is reporting as is Weathercloud. Weather underground and PWS along with Chops is not. Not total sure about chop. I am unable to gain access to my station info. I don't care about the different stations using the same info just make up its mind a to which one to work. I am close to getting a new weather station. Not sure what will be the procedure to get it reporting to all the sites i send data to. Thanks for any help, Dan

Offline wd68

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 08:53:42 PM »
One good thing, Weather Underground is no longer showing adds! thats a plus

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 08:59:02 PM »
KTXWICHI117 has data from well over a year. That I would say is worth keeping. Even if you get a new weather station you can continue to feed that same ID with the new station, even if it is a different brand.

The WS-2902 is notorious for stopping the upload to WU. In the Ambient knowledge base there is even a few articles on how to deal with this issue and it involves resetting some things on the the WS-2902 to get it start uploading. The console is known to at times upload to Ambient and other places but not to WU. That is rather odd thing to experience, but it happens. Resting some things can get you back to uploading to WU. It will require a lot of your patience and focus to troubleshoot and go through all the required steps.

Often I wondered why Ambient even offers the ability for AmbientWeather.net to upload to WU and this is one of those reasons this feature exists. It exists for people that just don't have the patience to focus and see this trouble through to resolution. I own a WS-2902 and I have been through this myself and I'm a pretty technically adept person and I will tell it you can really test your patience. But even though AmbientWeather.net can upload to WU for you I would advise you not to use this way of resolving the problem, because it is not as nice of a solution. If AmbientWeather.net uploads to WU then you will only have 1 minute data uploads to WU and you will not have rapidfire live data on WU. For some people this may not matter. But if AmbientWeather.net goes down (which happens) then your WU upload will also go down. I think it is therefore better for the console to upload to any site possible as directly as possible.

The fact that the WS-2902 is uploading to some sites (AmbientWeather.net and WeatherCloud) is a good sign that at least you do have your WiFi configured correctly.

I would like to discern which exact WS-2902 you have. There are 4 versions of the WS-2902. There is the WS-2902 (original) then the WS-2902A and then the WS-2902B and now the WS-2902C. If you don't remember which one you have then you can at least tell us when you bought it as that could give us a clue. The biggest difference between them all is really with the original WS-2902 as that used a different app to manage it. If you are using the awnet app successfully then you at least have a WS-2902A.

Here are the help article to see about resolving your upload to WU:

https://help.ambientweather.net/help/wunderground-com-not-reporting-ambientweather-net-works-fine/

https://help.ambientweather.net/help/wunderground-com-stopped-updating-ambientweather-net-updates-fine/

Read those knowledge base articles carefully. Read every word. Even if it looks like what you have already attempted. Do it all again....carefully. Pay attention to upper case and lowercase as required and to make sure that you have no spaces at the end of the ID or key. Pay attention to both entering the ID and the passkey. Realize that WU requires a device key listed on this page:
https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices
and make sure that you are not using the login password for the WU website.

Also realize that your station ID has both the letter I and the number 1. Be careful entering the correct character. Pay close attention to the device key if you happen to have the number 0 or the letter O. If you can't tell them apart you can jot them down on piece of paper and try out the different combinations...one time with the letter O and another time with the number 0. You can also copy and past the device key and paste it into a word processor or notepad application and then type both the letter O and the number 0 and see which it looks like as sort of playing a matching game to compare what you type to what you see. That might help you see the difference.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 09:00:34 PM »
Next thing to tackle is Chops...what is Chops?  Do you mean CWOP - Citizen Weather Observer Program?
Tele-Pole

Offline wd68

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 10:50:15 PM »
sorry, I am not feeling all that well. Dr's care is not as wanted. Cwop is correct. Sorry.  My current unit is a WS-2902. Not an a,b or c series. I had this issue a few months ago. I got it to somehow work. It has acted up again. I am thinking about not wanting another station. first acurite then ambient, am not happy with both of them.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 12:58:11 AM »
At first it was adds now it s showing up in places that block what you are looking for. I cleared the browser catch and also changed my password. I use my email address as my user name. I just deleted the account and will see if that will work when i start it up again. Ever since they changed things have been screwed up. Now adds and spam showing up in my Browser when i start up to use it. I am getting a lot of the same type of adds on my site. It showed as a free account but i was told you got the premium with your weather station,, But i guess they have changed it.
I don't think this has anything to do with Weather Underground. I checked my page and everything looks normal, no ads. It sounds like your browser has been hijacked by some kind of malware. Do a Google search on,  "browser hijacker".

It's been years since I dealt with something like this (knock on wood) so I won't offer any specific advice. Hopefully someone more savvy will chime in.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 06:45:18 AM »
Another solution is to upgrade to the WS-2000 display console. It is compatible with your sensor array. It not only offers a nicer display but it is also much easier to configure and it is more reliable as far as staying connected. It is also compatible with more optional sensors like lightning and extra temperature/humidity sensors, air quality sensors and more. You can keep the current display as just a display in another room as a 2nd display.

https://ambientweather.com/amws2000c.html
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 06:50:58 AM »
Upload to CWOP is something you probably have configured via AmbientCWOP.com. That gets data from Ambientweather.net. As long as Ambientweather.net is working and you have properly configured AmbientCWOP.com, then you should see data. Let us know if you see data on your AmbientCWOP.com. We can worry about CWOP itself later. First need to ensure AmbientCWOP.com is getting data.
Tele-Pole

Offline wd68

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 04:53:29 PM »
Ambient weather is working. Weathercloud is working. CWOP seems to be working. I got tired of screwing around with weather underground and canceled the station. PWS is screwing up on there end. Not sure whats happening. sometimes it shows data and other times not showing anything like today. I got the blank page again. If all i can do is Weathercloud and CWOP so be it. Not sure if i want another weather station. With my luck i'd die and it would end up in the trash anyway. Thanks for trying

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 06:13:31 PM »
By chance have you configured WU upload in the Ambientweather.net website? What I'm saying is that Ambientweather.net has the ability to upload to WU. It is important to not upload to WU via Ambientweather.net if you plan on having your console do the uploading. You cannot have both uploading at the same time to WU. It is better to have the console do the uploading to WU. The reason Ambientweather.net allows uploading to WU is because it provides an easier mechanism to configure that to have to deal with the console. But the result of having Ambientweather.net be the one to upload to WU is that then your WU uploads are limited to once every 60 seconds. That is why is is better if you can to instead have the console be the one to upload to WU directly. Therefore make sure that Ambientweather.net is not uploading to WU.
Tele-Pole

Offline wd68

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2020, 03:40:02 PM »
Tell you the truth, I can't remember how i did it. I closed the site for the time being. Need to get CWOP. Weathercloud is reporting. Cannot figure out if PWS is or not. They have been working on that site for awhile and not easy to get into the site. CWOP is my most important part. Ambient weather is reporting. to weathercloud and CWOP but have a issue i think there. 
 As for WU, its one thing to send my info for free out of pocket. its another to have to pay for the commercials to disappear. There station like the gold metal is slowly dying as more of us shut our station reporting off.