Author Topic: DanS Not Logged on Forum!  (Read 977 times)

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
DanS Not Logged on Forum!
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
Haer! Hear! Let it be known at 8:35 CDT tonight DanS does not show as being logged the forum. I think it is the 1st time I have witnessed such an event. Hope all is well.
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
Re: DanS Not Logged on Forum!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:17 PM »
Probably just an electrical outage or something.  I'm sure he'll be back as soon as the typhoon passes.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:06:31 PM »
As much as he likes to tinker and experiment, I'm sure he's got something going on and will be back better than ever!   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 05:01:13 AM »
Hear Hear (I am). Actually I got out this AM to do some surge suppressor shopping for the therm/hygro to console line. Man I didn't realize just how difficult it is to find regular transient voltage suppression diodes at the electronic shops around here. Everyone wanted to sell me telephone surge protectors and most of those just semi protect the two center (red/green) lines only. Finally found some varistors and gas discharge tubes but still looking for the diodes to complete this project. When I got home this afternoon the internet died so I took advantage of the down time, shutdown the wx p.c and cleaned all the dust and lint out of it and the UPS. So that's where I've been. :grin:

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 06:38:43 AM »
Oh Darn, it was a shame it was some maintenance type of stuff.  I thought for a minute that I finally had clear sailing to the be the last poster in that thread. #-o :-(
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 02:15:47 PM »
I wasn't worried, Dan. I know you are always tinkering and when you have the surge surpressor done please share it with us.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:45:39 PM »
Dan,
Just make sure you are not wearing a red shirt when you are out buying your parts.....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 07:28:54 PM »
Dan,
Just make sure you are not wearing a red shirt when you are out buying your parts.....

Andrew

Ah, you've been following the local news here I see. Luckily you don't see the effects of all this going on around up here (in the north) but they're saying it's supposed to get a bit more nasty soon.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »
I wasn't worried, Dan. I know you are always tinkering and when you have the surge surpressor done please share it with us.
Bob

You bet. I have a couple more shops to check out today. It makes it more of a challenge doing these things with the language barrier. Got to draw and print out lots of things. :-P

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Dan,

Andrew

Ah, you've been following the local news here I see. Luckily you don't see the effects of all this going on around up here (in the north) but they're saying it's supposed to get a bit more nasty soon.

Doh!   #-o     I was thinking the "red shirt" joke as far as Star trek.  What is happening around their Dam?

SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
Dan,
I had heard various news reports of the red shirt events over there past few weeks, then my friend just got back from a three week vacation there.  His girlfriend is Thai, and living in Toronto, but goes back for a few months each year.  He said it was pretty crazy and she was out a few nights with red shirt activity.  No bombs or guns that he was near, but said it was pretty tense.  Saw some graphic images that did not make it outside the borders from a news perspective.  They sure do like their shirt colours over there, its seems like just yesterday that the yellow shirts took over the airports.

Andrew

Ps: Sam, that's pretty funny, I saw the same star trek red shirt jpg the other day on google when searching news on the protests, it appears just under the news about thai red shirt movement.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Dal

• Climbing the cliffs of Moher in my sleep
    • The Sanctuary Weather Station
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »
Hear Hear (I am). Actually I got out this AM to do some surge suppressor shopping for the therm/hygro to console line. Man I didn't realize just how difficult it is to find regular transient voltage suppression diodes at the electronic shops around here. Everyone wanted to sell me telephone surge protectors and most of those just semi protect the two center (red/green) lines only. Finally found some varistors and gas discharge tubes but still looking for the diodes to complete this project.
Ok, from the above I'm guessing there's no such thing as a simple 'plug and play' device that one can just plug their cable between therm/hygro and console into?
Gun tigeadh Solas nan Solas
dha m’ dhridhe doilleir o t’aite.
Gun tigeadh ais an Spioraid Air mo chridhe

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 07:06:25 PM »
Hear Hear (I am). Actually I got out this AM to do some surge suppressor shopping for the therm/hygro to console line. Man I didn't realize just how difficult it is to find regular transient voltage suppression diodes at the electronic shops around here. Everyone wanted to sell me telephone surge protectors and most of those just semi protect the two center (red/green) lines only. Finally found some varistors and gas discharge tubes but still looking for the diodes to complete this project.
Ok, from the above I'm guessing there's no such thing as a simple 'plug and play' device that one can just plug their cable between therm/hygro and console into?

I've seen devices on the Internet that look like they'd work but unable to locate anything in this town. Lots of AC line voltage, some cheesy telephone and a few rs-232 serial port suppressors around but nothing down in the low voltage (rs-422 etc.) range. I have to build it and have some of the required components. I have the parts list and schematic drawn up and take with me as I check around some more today.

on a separate note, in your signature, what does that say in English?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:47:19 PM by DanS »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 11:40:30 AM »

Based on Dan's RS-422/485 comment, B&B has one:

The 422SP on http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=108...

Dunno about availability in NZ, though.

Offline Dal

• Climbing the cliffs of Moher in my sleep
    • The Sanctuary Weather Station
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 12:10:01 PM »
on a separate note, in your signature, what does that say in English?
"A wanderer, nameless and traceless I become."
Gun tigeadh Solas nan Solas
dha m’ dhridhe doilleir o t’aite.
Gun tigeadh ais an Spioraid Air mo chridhe

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 12:18:59 PM »
Thank you, Dal.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:30:08 PM by DanS »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »

Based on Dan's RS-422/485 comment, B&B has one:

The 422SP on http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=108...

Dunno about availability in NZ, though.
That in a rj-11/rj-45 configuration http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465452-REG/APC_PTEL2R_RJ_45_and_RJ_11_Surge.html I believe is what is needed. I looked some more today until my feet were about to fall off with no luck but I'm not giving up (yet).

anything