Author Topic: HOBO in Davis Radiation shields / Part Numbers?  (Read 9519 times)

Offline WX4GPS

• North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station
HOBO in Davis Radiation shields / Part Numbers?
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:24:28 AM »
I have an application to launch a couple UA-003-64 HOBO data Loggers, they log precip and temperature, they will be on poles near USGS stream gauges, so relatively remote areas but no in large cleanings so I would like to go with a FARS set up, and what I would like is to have a rain gauge shelf with a Rainwise 8" tipping bucket and then a 24 Hrs Davis round radiation shield with solar panel and some battery set up.  but then I thought I could cut the cost down with using the Davis ISS gauge and the FARS mounted below the gauge, basically an ISS without the ISS transmitter...  the Davis Wireless Temperature / Humidity Station picture shows a non FARS radiation round shield (as far as I know the round is the only one that can be upgraded to FARS), and its got almost what could be used as a Rain Gauge Shelf, I do not have dimensions of the top plate, but I don't need the transmitter. so I don't think you can buy the parts separate.  And Davis sells the old Radiation shield (round) by itself but not the round.  On top of that I cannot find a part number for the 24 hr FARs for davis, they only list the daytime.   I want the best I can do accuracy for a reasonable price, and I hear the 24 hour is probably what I want to go with.

So can anyone confirm can I get a ISS mounted rain gauge and 24 hours FARS without the ISS transmitter?  what part numbers are we looking at? Im pretty sure the 24 hours FAR is an upgrade kit that I would purchase separately.

I see stuff like on ebay auction numbers 380449071462 and 380449071890  Is this all I need? or do I need something like a better inline to make it 24 hour? I don't think its 24 hours as shown or advertised?  And why can't I find these items as davis part numbers to order more in this configuration?

Thanks for your input.  Ron
<B>North Elkhorn Creek Weather Station</B><P>
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
Re: HOBO in Davis Radiation shields / Part Numbers?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 10:52:38 AM »
Ron, go right to the source, www.archertradingpost.com/atp    I buy alot of stuff from this guy and he's worth the look. That first ebay #, he does not stock it all the time, the second one...you can find out by checking the site out.  VERY GOOD place to shop for Davis stuff.      Jack
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline WX4GPS

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 01:15:39 PM »
Jack,

Thank you very much for the site, and I again see a Davis 7747 which is just a daytime, and it even states "The daytime model is half the cost of the 24-hour fan-aspirated models " but I don't see the 24 hr model, I almost think I would want to go with a 24 hr as there are some effects that I guess can occur in passive models at night, but I don't know if Davis makes a 24 hr model, or if there is a known modification to make it 24 hour.  I read somewhere on double C rechargeable batteries and a case.  I may go ahead and initially outfit my own personal Vantage Pro with the dayton for the price, and see how it works with my high temperatures, I don't have perfect open wind flow to my station due to some higher houses 75 to 100 feet away.

I see the passive pieces, looks like a good source to piece it together the way I am wanting...  But if someone could comment, is the conversion to a 24 hr aspirated something davis sells or is it a modification to the daytime version?
Looking for vintage weather station documentation, available parts, and photographs for stations that are not produced anymore.   Please upload at groups.io/g/Weather.  Thank you!

Offline WX4GPS

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
I also see this comes with a new cover for the ISS with the dual solar panels.  I see other people with one that has a metal wing like shown here...  http://www.davisnet.com/productpics/big/06163.jpg  what is the difference between this and the one you mentioned that has the dual ISS panels?

Reason I ask if I want to not have an ISS transmitter then the mounting of the ISS cover panels will be difficult unless I get the housing empty...  then I think that would be a near place to put batteries inside to run the FARS.  but I am learning here what I need to  do.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
Ron    the first ebay # you have is for the 24 hr FARS, sometimes ATP has it in stock(take-offs from the 6153/63???) sometimes he doesn't, it's a chance thing. Changing the DFARS to 24 HR FARS is VERY easy to do. Go to the Davis Instruments board and there is a thread going there about the conversion from DFARS to 24 HR FARS. AS LONG AS YOU HAVE 120v AC close by..... Also, you won't find the kit ATP has listed anywhere else that I know of (24 hr). I have done this change from D to 24 hr on two of my stations, a third one will get done as soon as the Davis fans show up.       Jack

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
I just checked ATP's page, look for his part #6153S, none in stock, but when he has them, it is $154.

anything