Author Topic: DIY "GREEN DOT" Data Logger  (Read 94638 times)

Offline gmu

Re: DIY "GREEN DOT" Data Logger
« Reply #300 on: May 29, 2020, 11:36:49 AM »
I have finally cracked this.  [tup] 

With an Attiny45 and an arduino nano.

Thanks to night303's davis_random.zip hex file on page 12 and the flashing instructions and files found here: 

https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-As-ISP-Burn-Hex-File-in-AVR-Fuse-in-AVR-Ar/

https://www.instructables.com/id/Program-an-ATtiny-with-Arduino/

Just make sure to steer the cmd directory to where the averdude.exe / .hex file is and that it writes to the chip despite the strange info messages. 

After setting up, these 4 commands did the job in my case and I flashed two chips no problem.

avrdude -c arduino -b 19200 -p xyz

avrdude -F -c arduino -b 19200 -p t45 -P COM7 -n

avrdude -F -c arduino -b 19200 -p t45 -P COM7 -U efuse:w:0xFF:m -U hfuse:w:0xDF:m -U lfuse:w:0xC1:m -U lock:w:0xFF:m

avrdude -F -c arduino -b 19200 -p t45 -P COM7 -U flash:w:davis_random.hex

Note:  night303's davis_constant.hex file didn't seem to work (the console receiver seemed to stopped working) but his davis_random.hex file did work.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:16:50 PM by gmu »

Offline night303

« Reply #301 on: August 21, 2020, 04:35:33 PM »
@gmu, thanks for the feedback.
As I credited, code is not my work, it's watson's, I merely compiled it with Bascom which is I guess a bit of rarely used software when it comes to AVR development nowdays.
In my case I used MiniPro programmer and both random and constant versions worked on multiple Davis Vantage Vue and Davis Vantage Pro II stations, I used ATTiny85. Instructions in torkelmj's paper claim that random version of code works only with ATTiny85 as ATTiny45 lacks memory for the buffer and constant version should be used.  It's however very critical part of programming process to use exactly specified fuses, otherwise it doesn't run correctly. Your instructions for Arduino as ISP are surely welcome as Arduino is more commonly used board and quite cheaper than MiniPro.

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #302 on: August 09, 2021, 11:28:51 AM »
The other 192 bytes of the GreenDot_Table is a stupid "copy and paste" of the first 64 bytes, with very poor permutations.

Coming very late to the discussion but that looks more like a non-maximal-length LFSR sequence or similar, which would make sense since it's very easy to generate on a low-power CPU.

anything