Author Topic: Guess there's no VP3 coming  (Read 9433 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: Guess there's no VP3 coming
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2019, 03:33:38 PM »
There's an embedded 'marketing' concept that EVERYONE owns and uses a cell phone...which is 100% wrong (DAVIS, are you listening?).

Yes, they are the 'future,' but right 'now' they're NOT up to future expectations nor utilizations.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:37:06 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2019, 03:51:51 PM »
Any guess as to price for a VV ISS + WLL hub. (w/o console)?

US list for 6100 (WLL) is showing as $250, when it ships.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2019, 04:22:59 PM »
Any guess as to price for a VV ISS + WLL hub. (w/o console)?

US list for 6100 (WLL) is showing as $250, when it ships.

Thanks.  That will make the combined price of VV ISS and WLL at $480 List. Maybe closer to $400 street price.

There's an embedded 'marketing' concept that EVERYONE owns and uses a cell phone...which is 100% wrong (DAVIS, are you listening?).

Yes, they are the 'future,' but right 'now' they're NOT up to future expectations nor utilizations.

Cell phones are almost ubiquitous.  What everyone seems to miss is that they are not well suited as always on/permanent replacements for consoles.  I want something that's permanently installed and always on where I can get a glimpse at the display in <<1 sec and do this very frequently when at home or in the office. 

I don't want the household members to have to go get a phone, turn it on, launch an app, view a website of data and then have it go into standby after a few moments. The cell phone is best used for remote monitoring vs. continuous household use.

Maybe something like an Amazon Fire Tablet could take the place of a console but I'm not sure if they can be configured as always on/always connected. (ie override standby or sleep modes). I don't want to have to do anything to view weather data but turn my head and look.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2019, 04:38:04 PM »
Appears to be going down the road of being increasingly closed shop and a forcing towards the subscription model based on restrictive cloud backward technology especially if WLIP is being discontinued.   

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
We need to see if the WLL has a local interface as well as upload capabilities. No mention of it in the catalogue, but if they are phasing out the WLIP...
Mark

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2019, 04:51:18 PM »
A local API for WLL is apparently in development. It would be logical for this to have a WLIP-emulation mode (ie LOOP/LOOP2/HiLow/Archive over TCP/IP), but no information yet as to whether this might happen. But remember that WLL effectively also replaces an Envoy8X in terms of functionality so the API would potentially need to be more comprehensive. The same JSON API as wl.com 2.0 would be one obvious candidate, but who knows at this stage?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:59:41 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Online CW7491

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2019, 10:47:13 PM »
Looks like they’ve modified their temp/hum sensor on page 33 ... might we be hopeful they’ve fixed some of those issues?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 11:13:33 PM by CW7491 »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2019, 11:34:50 PM »
As long as the sensors remain large brick-like objects, WLL won't save them.  All they have started to do is replace 3rd party HW devices that work WAY better than anything they dreamed up.  Seriously   - go look at Acurite, TP-Link, etc. and see what a sensor could look like.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2019, 03:25:39 AM »
Looks like they’ve modified their temp/hum sensor on page 33 ...

No, 6834 is (AFAIK) effectively just a standard T/H minus the radiation shield. I think the idea is that now that WLL has Envoy8X functionality it's more practical to have multiple T or T/H sensors, but each with their own transmitter, deployed at various indoor locations. If you look at p31 then you'll see that there is also a 6331 AC-mains powered version of the 6332 Transmitter minus the solar door, also intended for indoor use.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:30:54 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2019, 08:33:12 AM »
This new WLL looks promising. It's as if Davis has finally started showing signs they realize what year it is. It appears they're going to provide some open (and possibly standards-based) access to received weather conditions on the LAN which opens up a lot of possibilities from the get go. A good move. Indeed it is if the device will have the ability to receive all 8 possible stations like the Envoy 8x. The reception restrictions are quite baffling with their other console type devices.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2019, 11:19:44 AM »
So Davis is still going to be selling their problematic Legacy SHT31 in 2019 and no new console? ...No thanks.
WLL offers no solution to current better 3rd party options. Davis needs to focus on upgrading their temperature/humidity sensor and on a decent console.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2019, 11:50:32 AM »
I'm noticing that the 24-hr FARS fan & shield hardware is listed as new. Davis now claims 2.5 m/s airflow during the day. That's over twice as much as before. I'm seeing the same batteries, though, and no new board to draw power differently. Solar panel looks the same. Hmmm.... The "new" fan appears to be the same flimsy thing that failed too often causing many of us to seek alternate solutions. I'm skeptical of their claim it only needs to be replaced every two years. If it were rated IP55 (sealed properly for outdoor use), why not put that in your marketing materials?

[EDIT: I'm referencing page 35 of the above linked PDF]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:29:51 PM by openvista »
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »

statistics support davis's "marketing" concept..

http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/mobile/

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2019, 12:58:41 PM »
I'm noticing that the 24-hr FARS fan & shield hardware is listed as new. Davis now claims 2.5 m/s airflow during the day. That's over twice as much as before. I'm seeing the same batteries, though, and no new board to draw power differently. Solar panel looks the same. Hmmm.... The "new" fan appears to be the same flimsy thing that failed too often causing many of us to seek alternate solutions. I'm skeptical of their claim it only needs to be replaced every two years. If it were rated IP55 (sealed properly for outdoor use), why not put that in your marketing materials?

Something changed for sure.  I can see daytime going up by just tweaking voltage but don't see how they can raise nighttime and still have batteries last through night so this seems a little suspect unless batteries are super good. Still only using 2 batteries.
 2006 revision: https://www.davisinstruments.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/VP2_Fan_Aspirated_ISS_Rev_C.pdf

2006:  190 ft./min. (.96 m/s) (solar-powered, full
sun), 80 feet/min. (0.4 m/s) (battery only)

2019:
Solar: 500 feet per minute (2,5 m/s).
Night: 280 feet per minute (1,4 m/s).
Randy

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2019, 01:08:39 PM »
Well with this new info, my mind is made up. Just going to get a new ISS and maybe hope for something in 2020.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »

Interesting read, "Thanks," for posting. I'm obviously in the minorities (age/education, etc.)

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2019, 03:55:18 PM »
well, I am old too, so dont feel bad!
its annoying how people use cell phones as a substitute for human contact, but thats a topic for a different thread..

My only point was that, unfortunately, the vast majority of people, both  young and old, have a cell phone planted in there hands 24-7, so companies assume they can just count on an "App" to be the only way you can interface with them.."Apps" have replace logical/critical thinking in our society now a days, sadly..

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »
well, I am old too, so dont feel bad!
its annoying how people use cell phones as a substitute for human contact, but thats a topic for a different thread..

My only point was that, unfortunately, the vast majority of people, both  young and old, have a cell phone planted in there hands 24-7, so companies assume they can just count on an "App" to be the only way you can interface with them.."Apps" have replace logical/critical thinking in our society now a days, sadly..

I joke with the grandkids about "talking" to my sliderule as being the first smart phone...with a string between two slide rules (wink,wink).

And, I still use a rotary (not push-button) dial-up "landline" copper-technology "telephone."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 04:40:16 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2019, 04:17:59 PM »
Well I still use a real phone, these are the versions before the so called "smart" phone, when real phones did what phones were supposed to do, make phone calls, beyond the city limits, out in the bush, able to be connected to an external antenna which is a very rare option these days, when updating a phone was based on wear n' tear not doing the yearly $2000 update, waiting at midnight to be first in line  'cause there is a new model, in a different colour, now released yearly.

Once phones were built for purpose, now they are built for a 12 month cycle, and now weather electronics may be going that way?     

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2019, 04:45:18 PM »
No doubt they want you to purchase a new smartphone on regular bases. They screwed my camera up on my Samsung I think with updates. It use to take wonderful pictures now it goes out of focus all the time, but I refuse to upgrade, 4+ years now.
Randy

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2019, 05:25:19 PM »

Cell phones are almost ubiquitous.  What everyone seems to miss is that they are not well suited as always on/permanent replacements for consoles.  I want something that's permanently installed and always on where I can get a glimpse at the display in <<1 sec and do this very frequently when at home or in the office. 

I don't want the household members to have to go get a phone, turn it on, launch an app, view a website of data and then have it go into standby after a few moments. The cell phone is best used for remote monitoring vs. continuous household use.

Maybe something like an Amazon Fire Tablet could take the place of a console but I'm not sure if they can be configured as always on/always connected. (ie override standby or sleep modes). I don't want to have to do anything to view weather data but turn my head and look.
[/quote]

I've been using recycled Android smartphones and generic tablets as 'display consoles' for years. Linked via a home WiFi LAN network, and powered 24/7 with an ubiquitous USB 5V (smartphone) charging wall wart (or the tablets' own charger), I use them as monitoring screens exactly as you desire; but for my home surveillance system.
And yes, you can suppress those "sleep/standby" features, and
have the screen active 24/7. I have some that have been on for years (with only  few reboots).
My old 'recycled' Samsungs have very good resolution screens which display video very well. You can also carry them around a bit, although most of the time mine are placed in easy to view locations: one smartphone on my desk, a large screen tablet nearby, others elsewhere.

So these devices could certainly be put to use as a very cheap, but visually competent, WX display 'consoles. They are also useful for other purposes, they are after all, very competent little computers on their own, still capable of doing many useful things without a SIM card for mobile telephony use.

All that's needed is a software app/package to handle the sensor WX data output  from the existing WX system, whether it is a Davis, Acurite, Ambient or whatever and put it on your LAN.
Something like the logger-display combination apps that feed my La Crosse WX system: the Heavyweather program to log and display on my PC, and the WUHU program which takes the incoming wireless data stream from the console and feeds both HW and many TCP/IP internet sites such as WU, CWOP, etc.

PS: Those smartphones and tablets have made it possible to "commodify" even WX systems.
All that is needed is somebody to package a decent, accurate sensor and software app suite (preferably 'best in class') with the capability to feed external TCP/IP streams (CWOP-WU-etc) as desired, and wifi locally to almost any generic tablet or smartphone used as 'consoles' (with great visual resolutions) and they will rule the market.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:05:59 PM by Jstx »

Offline Mchd17

« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2019, 05:35:04 PM »
Been using an old smartphone as webcam for months now. It's in the window shooting outside. 2 suction cup hooks with rubber bands. Works great as always on and plugged in. Works great with iSpy. IP camera app has a fade, so then screen goes black. It's funny when a severe alert comes through, its vibrates, lol. So I don't see a problem using an old smartphone as always on. Make use of those dust collectors.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2019, 06:31:16 PM »

My 5th gen $49 Amazon Fire Tablet 7" has been running 24/7 for two years now as a weather console, mounted to the wall above my Acu-Rite console:

I have the brightness turned down pretty low to avoid burn-in, and am running a free app from the Google Play store that keeps the screen alive and won't let it go to sleep.  The app on the screen above is the WeatherFlow weather station's Android app, but I do have a web page opened in the background to my weewx server to see the Davis station's information from the Envoy.  I don't own a Davis console, and can guarantee that they can't manufacturer a color touchscreen console for $49 at their expected market quantities.

WeatherFlow does not make/sell a console for their stations, and it honestly doesn't bother me one bit because I have found that their app on a wall-mounted tablet is my go-to console even with the Acu-Rite console hanging right under it.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »
^^Thank you.  A picture's worth 1000 words!! 

So you use a tablet and a special app that forces an always on state.  But how do you get Davis, Ambient or Acurite data posted over to weatherflow's website?  It seems that most of them only offer to post to WU, their own dashboard and maybe one additional site. (none of which make very good tablet/phone display formats without a bunch of manual scrolling from parameter to parameter) 

I would love to implement a WS-2000 "like" console display format on a generic tablet. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:08:26 PM by davefr »

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2019, 07:19:49 PM »

I didn't see their methodology.  Maybe their survey was sent to people with some kind of a survey app on their smart phone?  That could skew the results a little.  :-)

Mobile data collection or mobile surveys is an increasingly popular method of data collection. Over 50% of surveys today are opened on mobile devices.[5] The survey, form, app or collection tool is on a mobile device such as a smart phone or a tablet. These devices offer innovative ways to gather data, and eliminate the laborious "data entry" (of paper form data into a computer), which delays data analysis and understanding. By eliminating paper, mobile data collection can also dramatically reduce costs: one World Bank study in Guatemala found a 71% decrease in cost while using mobile data collection, compared to the previous paper-based approach.[6]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_data_collection

I'm also in the Luddite minority.  I suspect that also goes along with me being happy with the antiquated console from the neolithic era.  :grin:

Well, maybe not so much a Luddite as just not needing the latest and greatest.

anything