Author Topic: Guess there's no VP3 coming  (Read 9265 times)

Offline Mchd17

Re: Guess there's no VP3 coming
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 08:53:47 PM »
I have the vp2 console and the vue console....love both of them

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »
I have the vp2 console and the vue console....love both of them
Well then, you're obviously just not quite right in the head.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »
So I post a question on Facebook at Davis Instruments about when/if the VP3 is coming. Their response: "No, cuz Vantage Pro2 is pretty darned great!".

That is so smug and arrogant. How very ignorant of Davis to speak like that. Same as they do with the April Fools posting. The VP2 has quite a few flaws. I'm not going to list them as we and Davis knows what they are.

If Davis is not working toward a VP3 then fine. Someone else will replace them. Someone else already has replaced them for quite a few people that value other things more than what Davis has to offer.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 08:29:54 AM »
VP3 is kind of like this:

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 09:28:05 AM »
Davis makes a display?  :shock:  My VP2 feeds a wireless Envoy, with no console whatsoever.....

The Envoy is only wireless to the ISS.  You still need to route ethernet cable from the add on $270 WeatherlinkIP "kludge" to a router or run USB to an always on 24/7 PC.

Then you still need a display of some kind assuming you want an easy way for a household to have a convenient way to glance at the data.

The Davis connectivity infrastructure beyond the ISS is mess of overpriced/obsolete add ons, cables, third party adapters, etc.

As I said earlier, Davis better think of obsoleting it's own products before a competitor does it to them.  Consumer electronics isn't very forgiving to those that rest on the laurels and Davis hasn't done anything of significance this entire century.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:50:51 AM by davefr »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 10:18:33 AM »
As I said earlier, Davis better think of obsoleting it's own products before a competitor does it to them.

People have been saying that for the past 10 years and I see no obvious sign of it happening. But maybe wait for the 2019 catalog - who knows what might be in that?  ;)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »
But if you can view your data locally on a smartphone or tablet app then do you really need a separate colour console? :evil:

Is there something we should know ?

(please please tell me now  :-P )

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
As I said earlier, Davis better think of obsoleting it's own products before a competitor does it to them.

People have been saying that for the past 10 years and I see no obvious sign of it happening. But maybe wait for the 2019 catalog - who knows what might be in that?  ;)

Yes, but Acurite and Ambient are getting closer by the minute.  There's far less separation with Davis then there was 10 years ago when the competitor's products were more like "toys". I'm sure both of them would love a chunk of the pro-sumer (approx. $500) weather station market. If Acurite can execute on Atlas Elite, it could be a direct threat to Davis.  And who knows what's on Ambient's drawing board.

If I were Davis, I'd be starting to get nervous. Not only from Acurite and Ambient but also the numerous third party "add ons" getting a piece of the $ action that would normally be Davis's.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:42:40 PM by davefr »

Offline Ken7

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
The Envoy is only wireless to the ISS.  You still need to route ethernet cable from the add on $270 WeatherlinkIP "kludge" to a router or run USB to an always on 24/7 PC.

...or a $35 Raspberry Pi running weewx, from which the sky is literally the limit for how to send/view/archive the data:

I have a color touchscreen mounted to the wall above my Acu-Rite console that cost me $49.  Let's see Davis hit that price point!  I have been tempted to write an Apple TV app to make my wall-mounted 46" TV into the mother-of-all weather station consoles one of these days.

Where everyone is going wrong is when they consider Davis a consumer electronics company.  They are an INSTRUMENT company, marketing primarily to government, industrial, academic, and agricultural buyers with deep pockets.  Look at their complete product catalog.  These customers want data quality, not color displays to get locked into a weatherproof box in the middle of an apple orchard or toxic waste dump.  Consumer electronics is a low-margin, low price market, and they are smarter than to try and compete in that cut-throat sandbox.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2018, 05:22:02 PM »

Where everyone is going wrong is when they consider Davis a consumer electronics company.  They are an INSTRUMENT company, marketing primarily to government, industrial, academic, and agricultural buyers with deep pockets.  Look at their complete product catalog.  These customers want data quality, not color displays to get locked into a weatherproof box in the middle of an apple orchard or toxic waste dump. Consumer electronics is a low-margin, low price market, and they are smarter than to try and compete in that cut-throat sandbox.....
=D> Someone who finally gets it!

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
Stop lament here. I think in a few month Davis will show up with something.

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
You can use one of these 24/7 and hdmi a picture to a wall monitor.  I have had this setup working for 2 years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9YX3W6/ref=psdc_13896591011_t1_B06W2LWQKC

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2018, 05:58:50 PM »
I think in a few month Davis will show up with something.
:-s You can't drop that PWS bomb here without backing it up! Is this pure conjecture or are you privy? Cat's outta the bag...spill the beans...cough it up...cut it loose...let'er rip...

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »
:-s You can't drop that PWS bomb here without backing it up! Is this pure conjecture or are you privy? Cat's outta the bag...spill the beans...cough it up...cut it loose...let'er rip...
I have about 20 pcs of WL IP. After migration to WL.COM 2.0. I should pay for view data on website from those logger.
My question is. Are you prepared to pay for device which will needed subscription like WL IP to obtain data from it?
I don't have problem with it. I like WL.COM 2.0.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
 :-(

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
You can use one of these 24/7 and hdmi a picture to a wall monitor.  I have had this setup working for 2 years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9YX3W6/ref=psdc_13896591011_t1_B06W2LWQKC

I have used some sort of devices like this: T5740
Some comes with Windows XP, or XP Embedded. Works perfectly with WeatherLink RS232/USB.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »

1) The definition of "a few" is arguably accepted as anything less than eight.

2) April Fools Day is 3.5 months away.

3) There have been so many fake "VP3" press release hoaxes on April 1st that you can actually set a calendar by them every year.

QED: Davis or somebody will show up with a repeat of the joke that's older than the VP2's LCD console.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2018, 07:48:04 PM »

Where everyone is going wrong is when they consider Davis a consumer electronics company.  They are an INSTRUMENT company, marketing primarily to government, industrial, academic, and agricultural buyers with deep pockets.  Look at their complete product catalog.  These customers want data quality, not color displays to get locked into a weatherproof box in the middle of an apple orchard or toxic waste dump. Consumer electronics is a low-margin, low price market, and they are smarter than to try and compete in that cut-throat sandbox.....

Ahem... I have written about most of this Davis stuff before here, several times, among others (*see link and quote at bottom*).

Another major PWS item, in an ideal world, would be the use of standardized interfaces and comms protocols, especially for the links between the sensors and the 'consoles', displays, and/or WiFi and other connections to IP transport, PCs, and WX data using apps or whatever.
I'm thinking/referring to the very effective, long established, existing standards from similar product sectors that would require very little adaptation or modification to act as PWS WX equipment standards industry-wide.
-- The marine industry long ago decided that a universal device protocol was needed. They came up with the NMEA protocol, which allowed at least a minimum interconnection level between almost all marine instruments and controls, from all manufacturers..
The actual wireless links, from sensors to console/IP access, etc., could be done over the very reliable DECT radio (band) interface. It too has been long established, has excellent transmission characteristics and ranges, and has enough device classes, protocols, and equipment parameters already worked out that its' adaptation for PWS's should be a breeze.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Marine_Electronics_Association
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Enhanced_Cordless_Telecommunications
DECT can also be used for purposes other than cordless phones, such as baby monitors and industrial sensors. The ULE Alliance's DECT ULE and its HAN FUN protocol[2] are variants tailored for home security, automation, and the internet of things (IoT).

I have a very flexible, useful, hugely effective home surveillance and alarm system that uses DECT, WiFi, and cellular (and even has a landline-like cordless phone for voice, etc). Digging into it initially I was very impressed with the systems' complexity, and it just works, day after day; with all its' many sensors (up to 50, cameras (up to 4), displays (up to eight), IO outputs, power UPS, etc everything, plus a very nice smartphone app.

Most recently on October 24, 2018 , at: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35350.msg362075#msg362075  (Davis Instruments Weather Stations / Re: Any rumors on New Davis Stuff coming soon?? )

Where I wrote this (partial quote):
I'm not sure that most here realize that WX stations are just a fraction of Davis' overall business. I don't know the Davis corp financials breakouts for Davis (would like to see them if anyone has some), but they cover many other product sectors that probably drive the bottomline much more than prosumer WX does.

http://www.davis.com/ , versus the limited:   https://www.davisinstruments.com/

I too would like a Davis setup, at a reasonable pricepoint, based mostly on their perceived quality and durability (although the many threads here seem to expose some problems, eh?).
But like others, I'm really turned off by their overly proprietary designs (IMO*) and very dated product.

Also by the staggering costs to 'upgrade' a Davis to a 'modern' IP functionality. Having to buy costly extraneous doodads in order to have basic internet connectivity is absurd. The wireless-IP tech today is so cheap that they could build it into every system shipped, including all the non-IP models, just in case (excessive 'model sub-speciation' is a design flaw IMO). Their proprietary cloud scheme/subscription service is a negative too.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2018, 08:00:28 PM »
....I have about 20 pcs of WL IP. After migration to WL.COM 2.0. I should pay for view data on website from those logger.
My question is. Are you prepared to pay for device which will needed subscription like WL IP to obtain data from it?
I don't have problem with it. I like WL.COM 2.0.

If the subscription is included with the purchase price then No you should not be paying anything to view or download the data, this is what the included cost of the WLIP did. What has occurred now is Davis has added additional services over and above the intent of the WLIP and if anybody wants these additions then that is something for the individual to decide. I don't have a problem with that, each to their own requirements. But what I do have a problem with as far as WL2.0 is concerned is Davis has effectively removed what was available in WL1.0 and replaced WL1.0 services with stuff that is really rubbish in comparison and no where as useful as WL1.0 and also the reasons for doing this are simply excuses and has nothing to do with the change etc   

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2018, 09:09:19 PM »

Ahem... I have written about most of this Davis stuff before here, several times
Ahem, sorry...it happens. I can't count how many times my statements have come back later in forum life, without me.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2018, 09:47:36 PM »

Ahem... I have written about most of this Davis stuff before here, several times
Ahem, sorry...it happens. I can't count how many times my statements have come back later in forum life, without me.

No probs, I'm sure this general topic has been around here longer than me, a relative newbie. Besides, I like to poke the Davis embers once in a while  :twisted: . I wouldn't mind getting one, just have a strong resistance for overpaying, IMO, for stuff. Really would like to see some industry standards, but it's probably just too small of a biz sector. The marine WX stuff I see generally adheres to NMEA, but the mfrs still put in 'their' proprietary twist on it. Airmar makes much of it, brand-stamped for the marine vendors, would bet that many generic components are the same as Davis, Acurite, Ambient, etc.

Offline wxthomson

• http://www.minnetonkaweather.com
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2018, 09:16:26 PM »

Then, I must be triple'ly 'dig-batted' (Archie's Edith) in the head:

I'm old enough to remember that great show very well.
It broke many television barriers and was very radical for it's time.

But I think you miss-typed.

Archie used to call Edith a Dingbat.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2018, 11:22:36 PM »
I would be lost without my console, i left my OS 968 running just so i could keep the 4 consoles in the other rooms, would have been too expensive going the Davis route, the Davis console is sat next to me in the dining room, thats where i am the majority of the time, it serves no other purpose than used for a quick check as the sensors are also linked to the Envoy as well and thats attached to the weather lappy. Ideally i would like to see a touchscreen version, coming from the OS, i found the Davis console difficult to use and it seemed old, dont slate me, its just how i felt about it, i still find it difficult though, the alarms side of it i always have to consult the manual, mostly to remove an alarm....
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline celini

• Your Weather Link for Montreal
    • Your Weather Link for Montreal
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 06:12:17 PM »

1) The definition of "a few" is arguably accepted as anything less than eight.

2) April Fools Day is 3.5 months away.

3) There have been so many fake "VP3" press release hoaxes on April 1st that you can actually set a calendar by them every year.

QED: Davis or somebody will show up with a repeat of the joke that's older than the VP2's LCD console.....

In all cases and as previous years, Davis Instruments will be at the CES (Consumer Electronic Show) next week (Jan 8-11) in Las Vegas (Booth: LVCC, South Hall 3 - 30278). Maybe (and in fact I hope) Davis will take the opportunity of this event to make special announcements. If somebody plans to be there, please ask Davis their road map regarding Vantage Pro and let us know. Thx in advance.
Your Weather Link for Montreal
Online Weahter data available on : www.celinium.com