Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 185661 times)

Offline DWIGHT123

Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1975 on: April 09, 2019, 11:58:42 AM »
TBH At this point I have given up hope for now of any real solutions to these problems as you stated before it goes deeper than X.s and O’s here..no resources etc.Im just Stuck* for lack of a better word with my personal Dashboard I do love Ambient however!😁

Offline mike_b

« Reply #1976 on: April 09, 2019, 12:11:19 PM »
The new PWS site looks pretty good when you use an ad blocker to selectively remove the sections that you don't want to see.

Mike, in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon
Davis Vantage Pro2, Cumulus software.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #1977 on: April 09, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
If it's any consolation, being honest is not being harsh.

I have no doubt that higher ups at Itty Bitty Machine hold the majority of the blame but that doesn't mitigate, or justify, the disaster that's been perpetrated here.  I worked for a large corporation, in IT, for years and understand that "dollar is King", but if our customers or end users were negatively effected heads rolled, starting with management.  That seemed to work wonders.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline SeaMoore

• The Boathouse
« Reply #1978 on: April 09, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »
If it's any consolation, being honest is not being harsh.

I have no doubt that higher ups at Itty Bitty Machine hold the majority of the blame but that doesn't mitigate, or justify, the disaster that's been perpetrated here.  I worked for a large corporation, in IT, for years and understand that "dollar is King", but if our customers or end users were negatively effected heads rolled, starting with management.  That seemed to work wonders.

Exactly! I am from the same background. Not that we ever had a snafu like this, but downtime was taken very seriously. We measured downtime in hours, certainly not days, weeks or months.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #1979 on: April 09, 2019, 12:46:21 PM »
Down time was not allowed, at all, where I worked.  I spent a Thanksgiving weekend upgrading the entire network, switches, routers, converting to fiber links between buildings, to prevent any serious downtime.  Even then there were lots of complaints because people would normally come in on holidays and weekends to catch up a little.  That was four days, plus of no real sleep and eating junk food when I could, but that was the expectation that had to be met.

I can sympathize with the "troops" very easily, but whatever is going on in the background that drove this mess gets no sympathy at all.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1980 on: April 09, 2019, 12:47:43 PM »
The new PWS site looks pretty good when you use an ad blocker to selectively remove the sections that you don't want to see.

I think the horrible choppy graph is caused by the new site rounding to whole numbers. Of course they will fix that in due time. As will they fix rapid fire. I'm sure.   :???:

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1981 on: April 09, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
That's a definite improvement but is it possible to selectively remove the blocks? I'd still like current temp and the map.

I've been there earlier in my career where I knew better but the boss wanted it their way. But there was nothing you could do to change minds. So you had to plow ahead and do the wrong thing.
I used to work in construction where the schedule was king and often resulted in corners being cut. The joke was; "There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over".

Offline mike_b

« Reply #1982 on: April 09, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
That's a definite improvement but is it possible to selectively remove the blocks? I'd still like current temp and the map.

The temperature and map appear to share the same container as other elements on the page. I don't think the temperature and map can be retained while blocking the other sections with the dials and gauges.
Mike, in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon
Davis Vantage Pro2, Cumulus software.

Offline g4jnw

• my station
« Reply #1983 on: April 09, 2019, 02:16:41 PM »
my weather station shows online but stopped displaying info around 1300hrs today, is it something your aware of please
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IMORPETH11#history

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1984 on: April 09, 2019, 02:25:51 PM »
The temperature and map appear to share the same container as other elements on the page. I don't think the temperature and map can be retained while blocking the other sections with the dials and gauges.
Thanks! It was worth a shot.

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1985 on: April 09, 2019, 07:38:13 PM »
<error corrected>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:45:51 PM by boss281 »
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline mdv

« Reply #1986 on: April 09, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »
my weather station shows online but stopped displaying info around 1300hrs today, is it something your aware of please

Yep, mine too. The graphs and summary table are still there, but all the widgets are dead now...

I noticed that summary data ceased to update from about 1100 UTC - on both new and old site. It is possible that the WU team were doing some fixes at this time???

Checking in again now (12 hours later), it all appears to be working fine. In fact new site summary data appears to be updating in line with latest 5-minute reporting

Edit: Summary data seems to be updating hourly. I wish it were more frequent - like the old site.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:59:45 PM by mdv »

Offline Ryan_Van

« Reply #1987 on: April 09, 2019, 08:30:57 PM »
So I'm stuck. Holding out hope that one of the kind folk on this forum (or one of the WU people who also are on here) has any suggestions.

-Using an AcuRite 5 in 1, reporting online with the AcuRite Access.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IOKANAGA10

-had successfully set everything up, reporting data to WU successfully for over a year

-at the beginning of April (right around the time of the WU migration?), WU stopped reporting any and all data from my unit. (The AcuRite app continues to receive and report data from the unit, so the info is getting to AcuRite's servers, at least.) Note that I had not made any changes whatsoever to WU or AcuRite before this occurred.

-my unit is noted as 'offline' in my device profile section of WU

-I have verified and re-entered the pertinent device profile info/pw for my unit from WU into the AcuRite app (i.e. that allows WU to get the data from AcuRite (or allows AcuRite to send the data to WU, not sure of the backend there)

-WU continues to report my unit as 'offline' and is still not receiving data

-I've e-mailed briefly with an IBM/WU person I found on here and she advises that my station 'stopped sending data' to WU. I'm unclear how this could have happened (if correct), given I didn't change any settings at all, and that I have also re-entered and verified that the correct WU info is with AcuRite.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue or would otherwise have any advice on how to fix the situation?

Many thanks in advance,

-Ryan

Offline mdv

« Reply #1988 on: April 09, 2019, 08:37:28 PM »
I am having minor issues with the dashboard map.

Map loads OK when opening the dashboard page, but if I do a page refresh, the bottom 1/3 of the map is truncated - I see this on multiple devices. Same issue occurs if I navigate from the forecast page back to the dashboard page.

Sometimes a hard refresh fixes the problem; sometimes it does not. I have no idea what is causing this odd behaviour.

Another issue I have - although it might be an intended behaviour by the WU Team - is that if I zoom the dashboard map and then refresh the page (soft refresh), the map returns to the default zoom setting - an annoying niggle. [Here I note that Google Maps does not present this behaviour]

Another observation (not an issue per se): the list of nearby stations (and their current wx observations) is displayed on the PWS forecast page (as it was on the old site). Perhaps it is makes more sense that this list is part of the dashboard page? [just my opinion - and I can get by with wherever it is provided].

My PWS is on a farm and I like to monitor the wx at the 8 nearest other PWS locations, but these are spread over an area of 60km radius. The old site used to be able to display these stations in the list of nearby stations, but the new site does not (for whatever reason). I do hope the WU Team is able to provide this functionality in the new site ('pretty please').

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1989 on: April 09, 2019, 08:42:53 PM »
<post deleted--error corrected>
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:44:46 PM by boss281 »
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #1990 on: April 09, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »
MyAcuRite does not send data to wunderground.  Your Access sends data to wunderground directly.

I’d guess the problem is with wunderground, but check the “splash page” of your Access to make sure it has the correct information.

You open the splash page by entering the local IP number that was assigned to your Access in a web browser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jwreynoldson

Re: WU - differences in wind graphs, new/old
« Reply #1991 on: April 10, 2019, 01:39:25 AM »
I've just noticed that the values shown on the wind graph and table for my station on the old and new graphs appear to differ despite the time stamp being the same.
They seem to be operating off a different sample from the feed, or maybe the new one is working on some kind of averager?
If the new one is averaging the last 5 minutes readings (I send every minute) it would be nice to know.
Curiouser and curiouser.  In particular because I happen to know the wind was pretty much dead south at that time, making the new display seem more realistic!

OLD
08:34:09,   TEMP 14.6C, PRESSURE 1028.7,  DIRECTION SSW(205),     AVE WS 14.8, GUSTS 31.5
NEW
08:34    TEMP 14C        PRESSURE 1028.78 DIRECTION SOUTH(187)    AVE WS 19.0  GUSTS 38.0

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #1992 on: April 10, 2019, 08:22:48 AM »
I am trying to  understand why whole numbers used with weather data on WU is such a big show stopper.  Most home weather instrument have a measuring error of + or -  .5 degrees. Yet the you want WU to report one or two decimal places.  I  would think some of the cheepo instruments have even bigger margins of error.  Add in the miss placement of the weather instruments, crappy radiation shields etc and I suspect the margin of error is pretty big.  Global warming is supposed to  hinge on a fraction of degrees. Some of you ODCers or rocket scientists prove me wrong.
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline g4jnw

• my station
« Reply #1993 on: April 10, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »

Yep, mine too. The graphs and summary table are still there, but all the widgets are dead now...

I noticed that summary data ceased to update from about 1100 UTC - on both new and old site. It is possible that the WU team were doing some fixes at this time???

Checking in again now (12 hours later), it all appears to be working fine. In fact new site summary data appears to be updating in line with latest 5-minute reporting

Edit: Summary data seems to be updating hourly. I wish it were more frequent - like the old site.

You say checking on my link worked later, i have just checked and its still not working even though it says active when i go into the system

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #1994 on: April 10, 2019, 08:48:38 AM »
Quote from: antstrafer link=topic=33651.msg376139#msg376139 7date=1554898968
I am trying to  understand why whole numbers used with weather data on WU is such a big show stopper.  Most home weather instrument have a measuring error of + or -  .5 degrees. Yet the you want WU to report one or two decimal places.  I  would think some of the cheepo instruments have even bigger margins of error.  Add in the miss placement of the weather instruments, crappy radiation shields etc and I suspect the margin of error is pretty big.  Global warming is supposed to  hinge on a fraction of degrees. Some of you ODCers or rocket scientists prove me wrong.
Look at the graph it produces. How can you see a trend with Lego block steps?

If my station is less than perfect, why introduce additional nearly one degree error by poor data use including rounding all wrong?

And if I use several thermometers around my house in various placements to compare I feel pretty good I can get temp within useful accuracy. Then the site dumbs it down. Not cool.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:51:37 AM by davidmc36 »

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #1995 on: April 10, 2019, 09:32:18 AM »

I'm guessing you're American so deal in degrees F. Maybe 1F is not much of a problem but I can assure you than 1C is. That's 1.8F. Are you suggesting that a station of the quality of the Davis should only have its data recorded to 1.8F accuracy?

First post I see. Go in with all guns blazing eh?

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #1996 on: April 10, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »
I am trying to  understand why   snip       recorded to 1.8F accuracy?   

First post I see. Go in with all guns blazing eh?

nope 86 posts      1 like
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1997 on: April 10, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »

Good question. But to add to what davidmc36 and Ray said...

Nobody is asking for 2 decimal places....we just need one decimal place. The problem becomes even worse for those using Celsius as 1 degree change equals 1.8 F as Ray said. That is enormous especially around freezing temperatures especially when tending to plants and water pipes..etc.

Accuracy and resolution (precision) are two different things. If sensors were only accurate to +- 1 degree then why are manufactures adding in a resolution of 0.1 degrees? The answer is because there is a consistent error. So it is beneficial to report with higher precision even though the accuracy may be off. Your thermometer is consistently going to have a trend to read high or read low. But you can compensate for this and you can do calibration adjustments!

My cheapo weather station temperature sensors only have an accuracy of +-2 deg F but it still reports temperature with one decimal place and the trend is consistent even if not perfectly accurate. There is a difference between accuracy and precision. But I've compared my temperature sensor (after calibration) with my $386 Fluke multimeter thermocouple thermometer and it is pretty accurate despite the specifications.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36045.msg369710#msg369710

Another reason is that it messes up dew point calculations and graphing.

The same can be argued for wind.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:00:24 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline mdv

« Reply #1998 on: April 10, 2019, 09:57:04 AM »
You say checking on my link worked later, i have just checked and its still not working even though it says active when i go into the system

Nope. I checked on my PWS, which showed that summary data was working again having previously stopped working for me (on both old and new sites) for at least 3 hours. My original reply was actually in response to boss281 post which quoted your post.

It sounds like you have a more serious problem perhaps.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:07:18 AM by mdv »

Offline westhillman

« Reply #1999 on: April 10, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »
Re new look dashboard,  I personally will continue to use the previous version until such time that they get the new one finally fixed.  For info, previous version can still be found via https://horizon.wunderground.com/wundermap/ and selecting your dashboard from there.