Author Topic: transmission problems  (Read 16590 times)

Offline Lite

transmission problems
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:57:21 AM »
Hi guys,

My WeathrlinkIP works great for a while. It downloads information to two computers (one wireless laptop, and one pc)and to the internet site. After about 4 or 5 hours it stops transmitting. I powerdown my console (VP2), disconnect the cord from my wireless modem and reconnect, then repower my cosole up (a reboot)and everything is fine again for a few hours. Am I missing something? Do I need to offset when my computers download? if so how would I do that?
Thanks

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: transmission problems
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:26:32 AM »
WeatherlinkIP is not an IP _server_ device. It can only service one request for data at a time. If you have two PCs trying to interact with the WLIP logger at the same time then that's very likely the cause of any problem.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
What software are you using to download from the WLIP?  WL will simply crash if the WLIP is busy with another serial connection, say uploading to weatherlink.com or downloading another computer.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Lite

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »
I kind of suspected that the logger was just simply trying to do to much at once. I offset the download time by 5 minutes and no longer keep a window open to Weatherlink.com. So far so good.

I am using the proprietary software that came with my WeatherlinkIP.

I will post more if I have any more problems, thanks guys!

Offline Lite

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »
So about 8 hours later I had to reboot my data logger again ](*,). I have my laptop updating with a 5 minute delay could there be something wrong with my data logger (WeatherlinkIP)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 06:59:27 PM »
So about 8 hours later I had to reboot my data logger again ](*,). I have my laptop updating with a 5 minute delay could there be something wrong with my data logger (WeatherlinkIP)

I suggest doing some diagnostics, rather than speculation.

Just quit downloading to any of your computers for 2 or 3 days.  See what happens. 

Footnote: technically, if you are running WeatherLink on two computers at the same time, you should have an additional license
 http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06510X
I assume that you do, and just didn't mention it.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 04:26:50 AM »

Don't try to service two PCs directly - you're asking for problems. The WLIP is perfectly capable of performing uploads to weatherlink.com AND of streaming data to ONE PC at the same time, provided the PC is running the Weatherlink software. (The WL software is written to allow the uploads to wl.com to coexist quite amicably.) But any other combination of data feeds is potentially going to cause problems. I think Steve got Virtual VP working OK with the WLIP logger ny using the same trick with the loop packet requests that the WL program does. So your best bet would be to use VVP to get the local data from the WLIP unit and then feed any other p[rograms you want to use from VVP.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Lite

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:46:07 AM »

Just quit downloading to any of your computers for 2 or 3 days.  See what happens. 

Footnote: technically, if you are running WeatherLink on two computers at the same time, you should have an additional license

Somehow I missed that , ah 25 more bucks out of my pocket.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 11:14:05 AM »

Somehow I missed that , ah 25 more bucks out of my pocket.

Nobody, including Davis, is going to have any heartburn if you're just testing the configuration to make sure it works.

I still suggest using NO PC downloads for a couple of days - then, if that works, use ONE PC for a few days.  Then add the other, and if that works for several days, then purchase the additional license.

Offline Lite

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
Sound like a good plan Dalecoy. When I got home from work this evening I set my software so it will not download on either computer. My data isn't all that acurate and won't be until Wednsday when I can get my anemometer on my roof. I'll let you know how this turns out.
Thanks

Offline TampaFL

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »
Lite, I am having the same problem. I went "live" on Jan. 2ND @ 7:20pm - 6hrs later @ 1:45AM it quite updating to the Weatherlink.com.
I reset the console & router & sure enough 6hrs later I had to do the same thing again. I have had to do this several times - very frustrating. I am only running weatherlink software on my desktop. I have the Auto Update set for every 6hrs with a 5 min. interval. Since you quite the Auto Update has that solved your problem? Thoughts & comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Robert
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS
WeatherlinkIP
CoCoRahs FL-HB-15
CWOP DW6203

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 02:19:11 PM »
Lite, I am having the same problem. I went "live" on Jan. 2ND @ 7:20pm - 6hrs later @ 1:45AM it quite updating to the Weatherlink.com.
I reset the console & router & sure enough 6hrs later I had to do the same thing again. I have had to do this several times - very frustrating. I am only running weatherlink software on my desktop. I have the Auto Update set for every 6hrs with a 5 min. interval. Since you quite the Auto Update has that solved your problem? Thoughts & comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Robert
If you want to update weatherlink.com every 5 minutes (I'm presuming that you are using a 5-min archive interval) , stop the internet auto update.  That function is more for updating your own website.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:20:51 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline TampaFL

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »
Thanks D_l I will give that a try. So if I understand you correctly stop the Auto Update & just leave the 5 min. interval. So the WLIP should work all the time as WL is not updating to a web site (which I do not have - just WLIP site).

Robert
WeatherlinkIP
CoCoRahs FL-HB-15
CWOP DW6203

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Thanks D_l I will give that a try. So if I understand you correctly stop the Auto Update & just leave the 5 min. interval. So the WLIP should work all the time as WL is not updating to a web site (which I do not have - just WLIP site).

Robert
That's correct.  The set up to "tell the WLIP" to connect to weatherlink.com is built-in within the WLIP's internal configuration page and is simply an on/off choice with the upload to wl.com enabled by default. This means that the WL software doesn't have to be running at all for weatherlink.com updates to occur at the desired archive interval.

Frankly I'm not sure why your having the AutoUpdate on WL would cause the uploading to wl.com to stop at every 6 hours autoupdate.  I have a simple web site that the NOAA reports are uploaded to at certain times in the morning and if the WLIP is busy trying doing something else such as uploading to wl.com, the WL software simply crashes.  As far as I can see, interaction with the WL software is the lowest priority for the WLIP if it is attempting to do several items simultaneously.  A crash of WL isn't an elegant solution to handling the problem of the WLIP attempting to do too many things at once, but it does work.
--Dave--

Offline Lite

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 05:02:11 PM »
I have no updates and it still my wlip stopped uploading to the site about 5 hours later. I'm still trying to work this out.

Offline TampaFL

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
After doing every thing listed in the previous posts I am once again having to continue to reboot my router/console ~ every six hours. Very frustrating!

I just got off the phone with Brian @ Davis Support to explain my problem of having to re bot my router & console every 6hrs. as explained in an earlier post. He said they have had several calls about the same problem. It appears to be the Data Logger with Firmware Version 1.0.7  which mine is and that with other people this issue is showing up with. He has talked with several people about this but he is not sure of when the next Firmware Version update will be. He told me to just continue to check the Davisnet.com, click on Support, then click weather support, then click software support , & this takes you to the weather Support page for firmware/software downloads etc.

As anyone else heard anything different, or can add to what I have said?  Thoughts & comments welcomed. 
WeatherlinkIP
CoCoRahs FL-HB-15
CWOP DW6203

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »
Is your WLIP using DHCP to get its IP or is it set to a static IP?

How are you rebooting your console?
--Dave--

Offline Lite

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »

By powering it down (and removing the battery). When you unplug or plug in the doggle it says to do that. I almost always have to reset the time when I do that. All my other settings seem to stay intact.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 05:37:43 PM »
By powering it down (and removing the battery). When you unplug or plug in the doggle it says to do that. I almost always have to reset the time when I do that. All my other settings seem to stay intact.

OK. I don't have my 1.0.7 WLIP connected to a console and never reboot my console anyway so I didn't know how you were doing that. 

I never have had to reboot my Envoy-WLIP for this 6-hr problem. So maybe there is something your console is doing every 6 hrs that is causing this.  Note that the Envoy has all the functionality of the console except the display and input buttons.

Edit: BTW, I've had my WLIP set to a static IP since I first started using it.  Also I have the DNS set to my router IP which is doing DNS relay/proxy for my entire network.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 12:08:22 PM by d_l »
--Dave--

Offline SchoolHouse

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 12:01:20 PM »
I have been having the same exact problem with my new Vantage Vue with WLIP.  I set my unit up on 1/1/10 and have had to reboot 4 times.  I will try some of the steps noted and see if those work for me.  I would appreciate any other thoughts on this matter as Davis support has been little help so far.  They just continue to tell me to reboot.  I told them, this is not a long term solution to the problem. ](*,)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:55 PM »
Grasping at straws:  one possibility would be if your WLIP is getting a new/different IP address every 6 hours, and that is causing the problem.

This would depend on your modem/router, and your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

If several people who are having the problem would post who your ISP is, and the brand of your modem/router, we could probably eliminate that small possibility.

Offline Lite

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
Sure dalecoy

My ISP is Verizon Fios, my modem and router are all in one.
It is an Actiontec M1424-WR . It runs flawlessly wirelessly with my notebook and any other wireless devices and hard wired to my PC.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:31:21 PM by Lite »

Offline SchoolHouse

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 01:33:45 PM »
Dalecoy,

My set-up is the same as Lite.  I have never had a problem with this device for any other purpose as well.

Offline Lite

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 01:35:27 PM »
I do find it interesting that you have Fios as well, maybe dalecoy is on to something here!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 01:59:01 PM »
I do find it interesting that you have Fios as well, maybe dalecoy is on to something here!

Well, we haven't heard from TampaFL about this yet.

On the other hand - two identical ISP setups with the identical problem, might warrant a call or email to Davis reporting the "coincidence". 

Just to clarify - I gather that this lockup seems to be unrelated to the actual time (on the clock), and seems to occur rather exactly at 6 hours after the last reboot of the device?

If so, that might indicate that the "DHCP lease time" is 6 hours. 

anything