Author Topic: Soil Temperature Probes - Data  (Read 587 times)

Offline MVH81

Soil Temperature Probes - Data
« on: October 12, 2023, 03:12:07 AM »
Hi.

Does anyone know why the data from the soil temperature probes, within WeatherLink, increases and decreases at an unrealistic interval? - The data from three probes I have can, for example, go from 1.6C to 1.0C or more recently a surface temperature probe was 0.0C and then -0.6C. Unlike the actual observed temperature from the temp/RH sensor, which rises at falls with far more observed .1 increments, the soil temp probes seem to 'jump' from one reading to another...

See below 3 probes and associated data (probe 3 is the surface, ground temperature probe in this instance). [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

With thanks and regards.

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: Soil Temperature Probes - Data
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 04:58:23 AM »
Hi.

Does anyone know why the data from the soil temperature probes, within WeatherLink, increases and decreases at an unrealistic interval? - The data from three probes I have can, for example, go from 1.6C to 1.0C or more recently a surface temperature probe was 0.0C and then -0.6C. Unlike the actual observed temperature from the temp/RH sensor, which rises at falls with far more observed .1 increments, the soil temp probes seem to 'jump' from one reading to another...

See below 3 probes and associated data (probe 3 is the surface, ground temperature probe in this instance). [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

With thanks and regards.

Some temp sensors have a  0.1 degree F precision, others have a 1 degree F precision.
Converting 1 degree F to Celcius gives those "strange 0.1 0.6 1.1 and so on differences.

Better check the Davis documentation which came with the devices about what precision the sensor has and how the console / display device will handle that.

Succes,
Wim

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Soil Temperature Probes - Data
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 05:03:27 AM »
You seem to have posted essentially the same question twice. See other thread for the answer.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.