Author Topic: Weatherlink software messes with my computer monitors  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Spud67

Weatherlink software messes with my computer monitors
« on: December 02, 2022, 12:31:09 PM »
Hello, I have been using the Weathlink software since June when I purchased a wireless weather Envoy to connect my Davis VP2 to my computer through a datalogger I installed in the Envoy.
Everything with the Envoy and the datalogger work great.
The Weatherlink software receives and reports the data from the weather station and the envoy.

The problem with the software I have observed is that it will create multi coloured pixels all over both of mt computer monitors. It will, at times cover most of both monitors and the only way I can fix the problem is to shut down the WeatherLink software and restart the software.
This pixelization of the screen interferes with other programs, making things hard to read and see on the monitor.

I understand this is an old program and wish there was an updated version of the software that would not mess up my computer monitor displays.
The PC is Windows 10 with all the latest updates.
I recently tried Cumuls MX and it doesn't create any issues but I can't update WeatherLink Home with Cumulus I can only upload to Weather Underground.

Does anyone know of a possible solution to the pixelization of computer monitors from running WeatherLink software?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Weatherlink software messes with my computer monitors
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 01:16:39 PM »
HI
Spud67 wrote:
I understand this is an old program and wish there was an updated version of the software that would not mess up my computer monitor displays.The PC is Windows 10 with all the latest updates.I recently tried Cumuls MX and it doesn't create any issues but I can't update WeatherLink Home with Cumulus I can only upload to Weather Underground.Does anyone know of a possible solution to the pixelization of computer monitors from running WeatherLink software?
Sorry, I can't help on the pixelization as I've only ran WLPC on my old Windows 8 PC, and that continues to work fine.

I don't quite understand your comment on Cumulus.  What is Weatherlink Home? 
CumulusMX can upload to WU, Windy, PWS Weather, Met Office WOW, APRS/CWOP, AWEKAS, WeatherCloud, OpenWeatherMap, Windguru, and Custom HTTP, and also Weatherlink.com.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Spud67

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »
HI
Spud67 wrote:
I understand this is an old program and wish there was an updated version of the software that would not mess up my computer monitor displays.The PC is Windows 10 with all the latest updates.I recently tried Cumuls MX and it doesn't create any issues but I can't update WeatherLink Home with Cumulus I can only upload to Weather Underground.Does anyone know of a possible solution to the pixelization of computer monitors from running WeatherLink software?
Sorry, I can't help on the pixelization as I've only ran WLPC on my old Windows 8 PC, and that continues to work fine.

I don't quite understand your comment on Cumulus.  What is Weatherlink Home? 
CumulusMX can upload to WU, Windy, PWS Weather, Met Office WOW, APRS/CWOP, AWEKAS, WeatherCloud, OpenWeatherMap, Windguru, and Custom HTTP, and also Weatherlink.com.

Enjoy,
Paul

Hi Pual. The WeatherLink Home is the website Davis Instruments runs https://www.weatherlink.com/

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 03:29:40 PM »
Hi,
Ok, thanks, I hadn't seen that "Home" description used for Waetherlink.com.
Yes, I think you need either an IP type logger or WLPC running to upload to Weatherlink.com (WL.com).  I don't run my WLPC full time so use an IPlogger for one account at WL.com https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/a3a3c5e7-b8bd-4910-ba3a-f6ad6e1f09d1 and a Weatherlink Live for another account https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/9e396562-3f54-435e-a363-34e63b9d35ec  Both WL.com accounts allow for uploads to WU, CWOP and WOW, and the account from the IPLogger also still shows GLOBE but that appears to be discontinued and I haven't used it for a few years.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 03:40:38 PM »
I have run many versions of WL on Win XP/7/10 and with dual monitors with no problem. I like the one feature of WL where it shows the storm total over the duration of storm rather than resetting at midnight like a lot of the other software out there. I have had it on dual DVI monitors, HDMI and DP with no problems. So I doubt it is WL. The only time I had squirrely video was during Win7 and I had some old ATI (now AMD) video cards and I allowed Windows to install its own drivers. I had to removed the Windows drivers and download the ATI drivers. I learned just because Windows installs a driver automatically doesn't mean it is as good as the native ones from the company. I got rid of those old ATI cards because of no support or compatibility. I still run WL 6.05 along with several other weather programs thanks to Virtual Vantage Pro. (My Envoy/serial logger feeds WL, Cumulus, Weather Display, Addin-Wx and Weather Solution....but this is off the track here). Need some hardware info so let us all know how we can help you.

What model of computer are you using ? How are are the monitors connected to the PC..DVI/HDMI/DP ? Are you using your computers onboard video or do you have video card/s and what model of card are they ? Are you running dual cards or are they like the AMD Radeons that are dual channel DVI and have a Y splitter? (I have had several Y splitters on the ATI  cards that became flakey.) What brand of monitors are they and are they the same resolution or do you have 2 different models/resolution ? What version of WL are you running ? How is your Envoy connected ? Serial/Serial to USB/USB greendot ?

Sorry for the questions but this is sounding like a video hardware/driver problem.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:42:13 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2022, 04:44:50 PM »
Have not seen this this issue either on any Windows OP system with or without dual screens.

Offline Spud67

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2022, 09:52:08 PM »
I have run many versions of WL on Win XP/7/10 and with dual monitors with no problem. I like the one feature of WL where it shows the storm total over the duration of storm rather than resetting at midnight like a lot of the other software out there. I have had it on dual DVI monitors, HDMI and DP with no problems. So I doubt it is WL. The only time I had squirrely video was during Win7 and I had some old ATI (now AMD) video cards and I allowed Windows to install its own drivers. I had to removed the Windows drivers and download the ATI drivers. I learned just because Windows installs a driver automatically doesn't mean it is as good as the native ones from the company. I got rid of those old ATI cards because of no support or compatibility. I still run WL 6.05 along with several other weather programs thanks to Virtual Vantage Pro. (My Envoy/serial logger feeds WL, Cumulus, Weather Display, Addin-Wx and Weather Solution....but this is off the track here). Need some hardware info so let us all know how we can help you.

What model of computer are you using ? How are are the monitors connected to the PC..DVI/HDMI/DP ? Are you using your computers onboard video or do you have video card/s and what model of card are they ? Are you running dual cards or are they like the AMD Radeons that are dual channel DVI and have a Y splitter? (I have had several Y splitters on the ATI  cards that became flakey.) What brand of monitors are they and are they the same resolution or do you have 2 different models/resolution ? What version of WL are you running ? How is your Envoy connected ? Serial/Serial to USB/USB greendot ?

Sorry for the questions but this is sounding like a video hardware/driver problem.

It is an older Gateway FX computer that was Windows 7 and was upgraded to Windows 10.
The video card is an ATI (AMD) Radeon 5770 1024MB
The monitors are ASUS connected by HDMI and HP connected by DVI and both with the same resolution 1920 x 1080.
WeatherLink version 6.0.5, as far as I know, it is the latest version.
Envoy / datalogger is a serial USB

I just came back to the computer to check email and messages and the monitors were pixelized on 30% of each screen. I now have WL shut down, so it is not the WL software causing the issue. I assumed it was because it only started doing this after I installed the software when I bought the envoy and the datalogger.

Something else is going on and maybe the video card is going, it is an older computer.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 08:09:34 AM »
Old Gateway with a 13 y/o video card..... yep you might want to look at s newer card. 😄

Like I said I had to get rid of my old ATI cards because they became a bit flakey and while the they were dual channel DVI the Y splitters we're going bad and the drivers were not all that stable under Win10.

Offline Spud67

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 11:28:00 AM »
Old Gateway with a 13 y/o video card..... yep you might want to look at s newer card. 😄

Like I said I had to get rid of my old ATI cards because they became a bit flakey and while the they were dual channel DVI the Y splitters we're going bad and the drivers were not all that stable under Win10.

Thanks for the advice Garth. I was thinking it was time for an upgrade, maybe an after Christmas sale.