Author Topic: Weatherlink Live / Console, Wind Gust  (Read 2773 times)

Offline MeteotempSB

• MeteotempSB
Weatherlink Live / Console, Wind Gust
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:08:58 PM »
Hello, I have Weatherlink Live with a DVP2 Plus with two consoles (1 DVP2 with firmware 1.90 and 1 Vue with firmware 3.00) both consoles configured with Large cups and in Weatherlink Live configured ISS DVP2 anemometer.

Well after checking the operation for a few days I have seen that the maximum wind gust of my 2 consoles do not coincide with the maximum wind gust of W.Live, yesterday for example 35 km/h. on the 2 consoles and 37 km/h. at W.Live.

I would like to know if those of you who use Weather Live have the same problem and have differences between the maximum wind gust of weatherlink live and your console.

Thanks

Online racer3

Re: Weatherlink Live / Console, Wind Gust
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 06:35:57 AM »
On a couple of occasions I have noticed that my console was 1 mph higher than the WLL.

Offline MeteotempSB

• MeteotempSB
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 07:24:23 PM »
Someone else who uses Weatherlink Live and can compare the maximum daily wind gust between Weatherlink Live and the DVP2 console.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 03:06:44 AM »
..... Well after checking the operation for a few days I have seen that the maximum wind gust of my 2 consoles do not coincide with the maximum wind gust of W.Live, yesterday for example 35 km/h. on the 2 consoles and 37 km/h. at W.Live....

Are all these running from the same anemometer or separate anemometers? Accuracy spec is +/- 3km/h

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 08:15:36 AM »
I recently purchased WLL and also have 3 other consoles (all receiving from the same ISS and anemometer xmitter). I'll monitor mine for any inconsistencies. However out of curiosity I checked my NOAA report for May from my PC weatherlink software vs the NOAA report from WLL and yes there were differences between the max winds. However the old PC weather link NOAA report has a column for "HIGH"  wind speed of the day. The new WLL NOAA report shows "INSTANT", "2-MIN", and "ARCHIVE". So I was comparing the "HIGH" on the old to the "INSTANT" on the new WLL report.
Bill

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 08:36:40 AM »
It's the man with two watches problem I think.

I have two VP2 consoles and they record different max wind speeds. The reason is they are running different firmware versions.

But I can also see that one receiver may miss a packet that another receives ok. Though it is less likely that it just happens to be the max speed packet I agree.
Mark

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
I am currently not reporting a difference between the console and WLL. However, a couple of factors to consider.
1. we are not experiencing high winds, and
2. my consoles were updated in Feb to 3.86 which included the fix for the discrepancy between the console and WLL WRT soil moisture sensor and no doubt there would have been others included. I notice Davis still hadn’t released publicly.

Offline MeteotempSB

• MeteotempSB
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 07:34:48 PM »
I suspect this is a problem with firmwares, I use 1.90 and this firmware is very old, as you have gone to version 3.86 because only version 3.80 appears on the Davis website ?

On the other hand, in order to update firmware, a USB datalogger is necessary, I have an IP datalogger but I do not know if the console can be updated with the IP datalogger.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 07:37:59 PM by MeteotempsLH »

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
Yes, you can update with an IP data logger. Just ensure no other software is trying to communicate with it whilst updating

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 10:29:10 PM »
I suspect this is a problem with firmwares, I use 1.90 and this firmware is very old, as you have gone to version 3.86 because only version 3.80 appears on the Davis website ?

On the other hand, in order to update firmware, a USB datalogger is necessary, I have an IP datalogger but I do not know if the console can be updated with the IP datalogger.

You may also have FW 1.90 because of the age of your console so need to check the Mfg code on the console before updating beyond 1.90

FW 3.86 is something that has only appears in new units and apparently has not been released as an update.

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 12:10:23 AM »
As Mattik identifies, 3.80. firmware is only for Wireless Vantage Pro2 Consoles manufactured April 2006 or later (product code of #6312.

Offline MeteotempSB

• MeteotempSB
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 04:17:28 AM »
I have updated my console to version 3.80 and now it works effectively with weatherlink live, it was a firmware problem.

Thanks

Offline Buick

• KWABELLI466
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 05:26:07 PM »
I'm running a WLL and 2 Davis VP2 consoles, both of which are updated to firmware version 3.88. I have a 6410 anemometer on channel 2 which is the anemometer that one of the consoles receives from and a recently installed 6415 anemometer on channel 5 which is what the other console receives from. WLL is receiving all data from all transmitters including both anemometers. I have multiple Pro+ subscriptions and can compare data at 1-min intervals between the WLL and the consoles. It appears that the WLL consistently reports higher wind speeds for the 6415 anemometer compared to the console that the 6415 transmits to by about 1mph. The daily maximum wind speed that the WLL has reported for the 6415 is 1mph greater than what the console reported every day since 10/11/22 except for today where the WLL reported a daily max wind speed 2mph greater than the console. During the same period of time, the daily max wind speed reported by the WLL for the 6410 is identical to that reported by the 6410 to the console it transmits to. Had I not come across this thread and also checked to see if there was a discrepancy between the WLL and the console that the 6410 transmits to I probably wouldn't have thought much more about the issue but seeing that others have had somewhat similar experiences the consistency of the discrepancy makes me think that something, while relatively minor, isn't quite right. Why should this oddly consistent, if small, discrepancy exist between the WLL and the console for the 6415 but not between the WLL and the 6410? If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'm all ears.
VP2 (6163) w/ 7345.425 & 24hr FARS
6410 @ 26' AGL, 12' above rooftop
6415 @ 12' AGL
Rainwise 111
Stratus
WiFiLogger2
WeatherLink Live

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 07:53:01 AM »
I thought I read something about data coming into a console is less often with higher numbers. ISS 2 gets received more often than ISS 7 for example.

Could it miss some HIGH Data?

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 08:06:49 AM »
I thought I read something about data coming into a console is less often with higher numbers. ISS 2 gets received more often than ISS 7 for example.

Could it miss some HIGH Data?

No, the ISS lengthens the sampling period to match the transmission interval.
Mark

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2022, 11:03:38 AM »
ICBW but my hunch is that the sampling period for wind speed remains at 2.25secs whatever the transmitter ID. (ie consistent with a calibration number of 1600). And that the wind/gust speed value that gets passed is the latest available value from the sampling process. I've never seen that Davis have published chapter and verse on this - maybe someone has a reference?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2022, 11:24:52 AM »
Actually, I think you are correct John.  ](*,)

But either way, the data sent over the air and received by the console and WLL is the same - the same ISS is being used for both receivers, so the id used is irrelevant.
Mark

Offline Buick

• KWABELLI466
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2022, 11:33:34 AM »
The problem was that I didn't have the WLL set to 3rd Party. I changed the setting and the discrepancy disappeared.
VP2 (6163) w/ 7345.425 & 24hr FARS
6410 @ 26' AGL, 12' above rooftop
6415 @ 12' AGL
Rainwise 111
Stratus
WiFiLogger2
WeatherLink Live

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2022, 04:01:56 AM »
........ I've never seen that Davis have published chapter and verse on this - maybe someone has a reference?

This should reveal all you might be interested in:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0515/5992/3873/files/VantageSerialProtocolDocs_v261.pdf?v=1614399559

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2022, 04:29:16 AM »
........ I've never seen that Davis have published chapter and verse on this - maybe someone has a reference?

This should reveal all you might be interested in:

That's the well-known Serial Tech Ref document, which primarily deals with data from the logger, not data from the ISS to console/WLL. But exactly where in that document does it spell out how the ISS gets its value for wind speed?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.