Author Topic: Stealth Contrails, wanna be Mammatus, Shelf, Kelvin-Helmoltz & Lenticulars  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
The title says it all three stealth B2's in formation, wanna be Mammatus, wanna be Shelf, wanna be Kelvin-Helmoltz's and wanna be lenticular clouds all with a couple of week's time in Southern Arizona...

The stealth bomber contrail's

Broken Shelf Cloud

Kelvin-Helmoltz Clouds almost

Sloshy Lenticulars

Loose Mammatus'

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
The B2's... =D> Wish I had seen that! Nice find.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Would have been awesome on your radar!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Waaay above our purview here as they're within ABQ ARTCC airspace. Never would have saw them. Still, cool pic.

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
Rarely, but every so often I'll catch one or a U2 or B1 - https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/ - zoom out to the whole US and sort by speed or altitude or model.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Nice pics Randall. Post more.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
CW2274 good point. I am really curious how far up there they are. I am told they probably came out Iowa... BTW I noticed now that I am using altitude, we extremely closely matched in that reading every day.
Vince, as MSFS enthusiast I really like hearing from the real deals (CW2274) and your link to ADS-B is greatly appreciated.
Ocala, sorry for the very long absence but am at least partially back.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
I am really curious how far up there they are.
Tough to tell from the pic alone without reference, but I'd say FL350 or higher. Normal air-carrier airspace. The contrails help a bit as well.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
I would say 35 is about right. I'll see those private aircraft at 40 plus and you you can just tell by the trail they are way up there. By the way I spend a lot of time watching the jets fly over. Even have a small ads-b antenna I plug into my phone. It's amazing that this little 5 inch antenna can pick up jets  over a hundred miles away in the Gulf.     

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Vince I have had soooo much fun with ADS-B Exchange since you posted that link... I have two regionals, one international, ands one AFAB very close to my house. Now I can actually identify and follow that traffic even after it disappears beyond my horizon. Example: I followed a Learjet come out of Texas take a hard right at Tucson and continue north beyond Utah. Finally with CW2274 and ocala as the go-to of wealth of aviation and weather knowledge they are willing to share - well what can I say other than, again, thank you all for sharing the knowledge and expertise.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
There is an Android app called adsb flight tracker. It gets it's data from the adsb exchange site. Boat loads of option including a 3D viewer that's pretty cool. There is a learning curve but once you have it down it's fun.