Author Topic: FYI  (Read 2460 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
FYI
« on: March 15, 2022, 07:39:27 PM »
I remember DST in the winter of 1970 I think. I walked to school every morning in the dark.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rubio-backed-bill-to-make-daylight-saving-time-permanent-passes-senate-heads-to-house

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: FYI
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 07:51:41 PM »
this is a dumb idea

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ColoradoWx

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 10:23:18 PM »
I agree. It's dumb.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 12:41:36 AM »
Personally I like things as they are. I enjoy the extra hour of daylight in the evenings during the spring, summer and fall and I enjoy the extra daylight in the mornings during the winter (so kids don't have to walk to school in the dark). The change over in the spring is a little stressful, I hate losing that hour of sleep but by the next day I'm over it. Getting the hour back in the fall is awesome.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 01:06:13 AM »
I haven't had to deal with DST since 1988. Looking back, glad I still don't. I think if we do go, it should be on standard (winter) time. The excuse of summer time making up the majority of the year will be forgotten after the first time of not switching.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 07:27:13 AM »
If you think that we have it difficult in the USA, check out the land down under:

WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 03:56:19 PM »
If you think that we have it difficult in the USA, check out the land down under:
Yikes!! You win.  :lol:

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2022, 04:08:48 PM »
This just seems wrong. Noon is noon, when the sun is at its highest point in the sky in a particular time zone. As people interested in weather, we should think of this proposal as a massive "offset" error in an instrument -- our clock.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2022, 06:21:13 PM »
Here in England there are a lot of folks who would like +1 hour all year long, it seems like Scotland is the only place who don't want it - but they want independence so let them have it and keep GMT + DST  [tup]

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2022, 06:26:19 PM »
If this DST bill actually passes, Williston, ND will have a sunrise at 9:44 at the latest in Winter.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2022, 06:27:53 PM »
MPLS

Now with partial DST
June 21 Sunrise 4:50 Sunset 9:03
Dec 21 Sunrise 7:40 Sunset 4:40

without permanent DST
June 21 Sunrise 3:47 Sunset 8:03
Dec 21 Sunrise 7:40 Sunset 4:40

With Permanent DST
June 21 Sunrise 3:47 Sunset 8:03
Dec 21 Sunrise 8:40 Sunset 5:40

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2022, 07:00:14 PM »
If this DST bill actually passes, Williston, ND will have a sunrise at 9:44 at the latest in Winter.
Wow. That's like Arctic circle stuff. Just as bad as your potential sunrise at quarter til four... :shock:

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 07:21:45 PM »
Instead of adjusting the clocks, how about just adjusting your personal daily schedule based on the time of year and leave time be constant?

(This is coming from the person who had to testify before a Grand Jury to explain why my home clocks all run on UTC and not EST/EDT.)

Each school district could change their start/end times based on the season, so that kids don't have to wait for a school bus in the dark. Offices can open at 7:00 AM instead of 8:00 AM, so that workers can spend more time outside in the sun after work during summer hours. LOCAL decisions, based on the sunrise/sunset times in that region.

Daylight savings time is obsolete, and not a one-size-fits-all solution that works everywhere in the country without regional problems. Instead of legislating clock changes for all, change society!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 07:38:01 PM »
(This is coming from the person who had to testify before a Grand Jury to explain why my home clocks all run on UTC and not EST/EDT.)
Say what?

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 08:26:09 PM »
Say what?

Working in IT, we keep all logs in UTC since we deal with the entire world.  No need to adjust clocks, since UTC never changes.  In that vein, everything in our house but cell phones and wristwatches also runs on 24-hour UTC...including our fancy commercial-grade security camera system.  My alarm clock is reading 0:23 as I write this.

Without going into too many details in the open case, there was a homicide last spring in our sleepy neighborhood in the woods.  My security camera next to our dead-end road that usually captures bears wandering down the street recorded the alleged killer walking past leaving the homicide scene.  I had to explain to a Grand Jury why the sun was just coming up in my video, but the clock said that it was almost 11:00 (AM) on the screen's in-video time stamp.  Placing the alleged killer at the location at the exact time was critical to the DA's events timeline.....

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 08:38:35 PM »
Ahhh, gotcha. One of my laptop clocks is in Zulu time (my preferred phrase) as well.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2022, 06:37:40 AM »
I hate DST myself. If it goes permanent our sunrises will send the kids to school in the dark for sure. Here in northern Nebraska, sunrise will be after 9:am example Jan. 3rd it's  9:11 am.
I can live with it having an empty nest but the sunsets are what I don't like. You actually have to close the curtains because it's still so light outside at 10 pm in June and July.

If I didn't have a public weather station and a website I wouldn't change my clocks.
Randy

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2022, 07:44:33 AM »
Here in England there are a lot of folks who would like +1 hour all year long, it seems like Scotland is the only place who don't want it - but they want independence so let them have it and keep GMT + DST  [tup]

Stuart
As an inaccurate sweeping statement that wins hands down  :shock:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2022, 09:45:40 AM »
No sure what you say that. On the continent, we usually have three (3) time zones. CONUS which is approximately the same width as Australia appear to have four(4), five (5) including Alaska. We reach five (5) in Summer because the Northern Territory and Queensland get less from Daylight Saving Time (DST) compared to the southern states. Implementing DST from the bottom to the top of the continent may be a bit more complex, but it seems more sensible and not really an issue for the average person a couple days after the change.
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 02:59:58 PM »
I can't figure who really benefits from switching back and forth. When you work 12 hour shifts and many of them nights you drive both ways in the dark most if the time anyway.

If I can land a Mon-Fri gig it would be much better to have long evenings.

Can't sleep with sun not down yet? We figured out black out curtains long ago North of the Arctic Circle.

IDK