Author Topic: Airlink  (Read 2246 times)

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
Airlink
« on: February 08, 2022, 10:03:18 AM »
I’m considering adding the Airlink to my VP2 suite and have a few questions for those who own one.
First, are there any replacement parts available such as temp/hum sensor, or is it integrated onto the pc board? Also I’m concerned about the internal fan reliability over time, is the fan available and user replaceable? Second, has anyone rigged up a solar charging system to power the device. Specs show the DC input to be 5Vdc. Davis offers a solar panel with battery that is rated at 6Vdc output, would this work?
Thanks for your assistance.
BTW tech support not any help.
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: Airlink
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 10:30:57 AM »
The T/H sensor is integral - I did not see a separate sensor when I have had it apart - it may even be integral to the sensor unit.
The fan is integral to the sensor unit (as all the consumer grade sensors I have seen are).

Mine has been installed outside since Nov. 2020, and - touch wood - no issues so far.

Sorry, but no idea on the solar panel.
Mark

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »
The T/H sensor is integral - I did not see a separate sensor when I have had it apart - it may even be integral to the sensor unit.
The fan is integral to the sensor unit (as all the consumer grade sensors I have seen are).

Mine has been installed outside since Nov. 2020, and - touch wood - no issues so far.

Sorry, but no idea on the solar panel.

I suspected that the sensor and fan were integrated onto the main pcb. That’s a shame. So sounds like there currently are no replacement parts available. I’m not going to purchase it knowing that it is most likely disposable. I typically replace my temp/hum sensor on my vp2 annually.

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 11:56:45 AM »
Its not that they are on the circuit board, they are integral to the Plantower AQ sensor module itself, which is then part of the main board. I do not know of a consumer grade unit that does not use a integral third party sensor module (Plantower/Sensirion/Nova/whatever)
Mark

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 06:16:39 PM »
I’m curious if Davis will have flat rate repair/pm on the device.

Offline jon_iz

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 11:24:20 AM »
I've had an Airlink since they first came out.
Recently I've had two instances where it has stopped reporting and flatlined.
Gut feeling is the fan in the sensor may have started to stick.
Todays event has resulted in a blast of compressed air to wake it up.
However, while I've had it in pieces, i can confirm that you can remove the Plantower PMSA003 from the board easily - it's socketed.
They are also readily available from ebay or Aiexpress for under £20 - which is a lot cheaper than a new Airlink, or the spare component part sourced from one of the "Main outlets"

So, I'll order one to have ready at that price.

anything