Author Topic: Weatherlink adding a station  (Read 692 times)

Offline aoverland1

Weatherlink adding a station
« on: November 21, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
I'm trying to install my vantage pro 2 to weather link on a new 6.0.5 install. When I choose a station name I get a notification the directory already exists. It definitely does not. Whatever I name the station, it already exists. I'm not trying to put it anywhere weird, just on the c/weatherlink that is the prefilled option. Ideas? This has never happened to me before installing a station.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Weatherlink adding a station
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 05:35:12 PM »
Would you have a couple of screen shots of what you are seeing?

Offline aoverland1

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 06:54:14 PM »
Here's what I get, in order from 1-3. I hit the new station in the dropdown, enter any name I can think of, get a screen back telling me I'm making a duplicate in the directory. I've never had Weatherlink on this machine before downloading and installing 6.0.5. I have used this vantage 2 console and the Data logger on another machine, but just got both of them back from Davis last week, so I assume they're in good working order. Anyway, after the error screens attached here, it just kicks me through to the walkthrough to set up the station like normal. But no station exists. I know I changed the folder name to /weatherlink1, I was just curious what would happen. Same result. Just haven't changed it back.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:15:19 PM by aoverland1 »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 03:30:50 AM »
Don't put a space in the station name.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline aoverland1

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 08:38:26 AM »
Thank you for jumping in, most names I have tried don't have a space in them. I think it really has nothing to do with the name. Whatever I write as the new name just comes back directory already exists. I could write britneyspearsismyuncle and it would tell me I already have that directory.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 08:53:38 AM by aoverland1 »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »
The first examples you posted all had a space in! But OK then, exactly what are you doing? You're not trying to create the folder manually before using it? All you need to do is to select File | New Station and then enter the name - the folder gets created automatically and the settings walkthrough should start.

One issue with Weatherlink (like many other programs) is that the error messages aren't always reliable. There will be an error of some sort but not necessarily the one that's reported. So may be worth looking at exactly what you're doing.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline aoverland1

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
I know they did. Didn't mean to make it more confusing, so I just switched everything back to as basic as I could make it. I'm just clicking file, selecting new station, adding a name for the station in the already selected WEATHERLINK folder. No matter what name I add, I get directory already exists. I dumped the weatherlink program, emptied the trash, downloaded it again, same outcome.
I see what you're saying about the error codes not being accurate, I can only find one other person who reported this, and it sounds like they had an update issue. Mine is a new install of 6.0.5 from Davis. Haven't had weatherlink on this machine previous to trying this setup.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 03:28:57 PM »
I've used WL 6.0.3 for 7-8 years and it's solid as a rock. No idea if it has the bells and whistles of 6.0.5 but here's the full install if you want to give it a whirl.

http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/weather/software/WL_6_0_3_fullinstall/6_0_3_full_install.zip

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 03:32:20 PM »
Spaces in the new station name isn't the issue, spaces are allowed, the name in Open Station will show the space but the actual folder name is concatenated and reduced to 8 characters.

daves burritos works fine with WL 6.0.4 so see no reason why 6.0.5 would be any different. Folder name becomes davesbur but the full spaced name as input will still show in the Open Station box.

This then appears something specific to your hardware, what machine, what OS? Any folder read/write controls in place?

Offline aoverland1

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 06:30:10 PM »
I was thinking the same about hardware/software etc. Don't know where to start. When it first happened I double checked permissions and that's all good to go. It's windows 10 on an older Lenovo desktop, I think it runs an amd e2. I only use it for weather, or at least that was the plan.. I have a dell laptop that just sits around I could use too to confirm the problem if I don't figure this out.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 08:05:53 AM »
When I installed 6.0.3 in 2015 on a Windows 10 desktop, I also had permission problems using the default directory.  I got around the problems by installing into C:\users\USERNAME\WEATHERLINK.

I have not had any issues since.

Offline aoverland1

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 08:44:51 AM »
Thanks for the info. You are correct, I don't know what was not allowing me to create that, but I followed your path and it was no problem. Thanks!

anything