Author Topic: Lost Archive Data  (Read 1359 times)

Offline meteosat

Lost Archive Data
« on: August 29, 2023, 04:12:20 AM »
There has been an issue with archive data over the weekend here in the UK.  My system stopped showing archive data at 1700UTC on Friday 25th August. The one minute updates were not affected.  I emailed support and they confirmed there was a server crash and unfortunately some data was lost.  The issue has now been resolved.  This was the reply from Davis who replied very quickly to my email.

"We did have a server crash on Friday. This has been resolved. I am sorry to say that some data will be lost. Data between the crash to Friday to 9am Sunday Pacific time is going to be lost.  Only the last 24 hours will be catching up and saved.
We MAY be able to get back the lost data.  Engineering is working on it."

Offline bianconero57

• Contributor
    • Valdefensch@57
Re: Lost Archive Data
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 02:31:19 AM »
I wasn't even aware of this server outage  :oops: , however email received this morning 
"Dear WeatherLink Customer,
The archive data loss issue has been resolved and all data has been restored to your account. [tup]
You should no longer see any missing archive data from Aug. 25 to Aug. 27." fto at support@davisinstruments.com

Online Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Lost Archive Data
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 05:31:37 AM »
And this is a failure point of cloud systems and subscription models to some point especially where there is no capacity provided to maintain/download your own data on your own system without a forced upload and no local storage capacity.

WeatherLinkPC and local loggers never suffered this issue even if uploading to WeatherLink.com, your data was always still on your own logger/system relative to your selected Archive interval and if you did lose data then it was typically your own doing. But not anymore, subscriptions and cloud servers are not infallible.