Author Topic: GRLevel 3 - Stopped connecting to any radar sites on the 5th of Feb 2019  (Read 5970 times)

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
Hello - I'm running version 2.71 and sometime on the 5th it stopped connecting.
I thought it was just an outage, have had them before with both New York and Boston stations but usually there is a message detailing the outage. I get nothing, just a countdown to next attempt within the software.

I was never able to get the support forum on there website to give me a password. So looking here for any guidance. I emailed the Admin at their site but no response yet. I ran the obvious tests and checks. See internet connection test below. I am unable to select any site in the USA and get images from it, while any site I tried at NWS works just fine so it has to be in the GRLevelx software settings someplace.

Thanks in advance
Brian

Test beginning
UserAgent = 'GRLevel3/2.71 (Windows/5.1)'
=====================================
Calling InternetGetConnectedStateEx:
  dwFlags = 0x0012
            INTERNET_CONNECTION_LAN
            INTERNET_RAS_INSTALLED

szConnection = 'LAN Connection'
==================================
TestFullGet:
*** InternetOpenURL() failed!
*** GetLastError() = 0x00002F7D

=====================
Test completed
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: GRLevel 3 - Stopped connecting to any radar sites on the 5th of Feb 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
They're showing an update to v2.80 if you use the updater on their site.  Appears to be another case of NWS abandoning common sense and closing down 'non-secure' access; changing to ' httpS: ' access only.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:05:40 PM »
This might help: Weather-Watch

Doug

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:06:17 PM »
Where did you find an updater? I could only find the download link to 2.80 but it actually reinstalled 2.71 for me. The website is the worst one I have ever seen. http://www.grlevelx.com/

Can you paste the link you have to an updater?

Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
Where did you find an updater? I could only find the download link to 2.80 but it actually reinstalled 2.71 for me. The website is the worst one I have ever seen. http://www.grlevelx.com/

Can you paste the link you have to an updater?

Brian

UserAgent = 'GRLevel3/2.71 (Windows/5.1)'

Based on the above UserAgent, you are using Windows XP. You will need to upgrade to at least Windows 7 for GR3 to continue to work. You may be able to use an Allisonhouse subscription, although I am not sure about that working under Windows XP, either.

I have a Windows 7 machine running version 2.80 without any issues, both using the default radar data and using Allisonhouse.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:01:47 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »
Thanks - The machine is an virtual XP machine due to issues with VWS running under 10 that I was having. I guess I need to find a spare Windows 7 license and see if VWS runs at all under it, or if I need to run GRLevel3 on a separate instance of 7 or better, and leave old stable VWS 15 on the XP. 

Or has anyone successfully added tsl 1.2 support to XP? I see a few different ways to do it.

Brian

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 09:25:02 PM »
Having not used VWS, I do not know if it will run under Windows 7 or not. I have a mini-box with dual ATOM CPU's running Windows 7 Pro, AVAST Antivirus, GR3 and CumulusMX without any issues. This setup has been running for over 4 years and draws about 10 watts, and is connected to a UPS which will power it for about 10 hours or so. THe minibox is pretty much maxed out in terms of CPU, but has been chugging along (knock on wood).
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »
I guess I have more options than I thought on this issue.

Thanks
Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 07:45:08 AM »
Or....stay as you are and get your radar data from Allison House for ~$10 a month.

Doug

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 08:09:06 PM »
Doug - I had heard the name before but never understood its a clearing house. Thanks I'll take a look at it.

Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 08:12:41 PM »
Doug - I had heard the name before but never understood its a clearing house. Thanks I'll take a look at it.

Brian

I have used Allisonhouse for the past 9 years. Very good folks to work with. I have the Storm Chaser subscription.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2019, 04:56:47 AM »
It's becoming more like a cult.

I avoid cults.

Offline BrianLehan

So as an update to this thread - I did upgrade the weather station from a virtual XP instance to a dedicated box running Win 7 ultimate in late February 2019. That allowed me to upgrade GRLevel3 to 2.8 which did resolve this issue.

HOWEVER maybe coincidence I have more often than not been able to pull data from KOKX Upton NY - the closest station for my part of Connecticut. Right now it has been off-line since May 30th. I can see other GRLevel3 stations reporting it is off-line so I know it is not just me, but the question is it GRLevel3 users only? Meaning a software issue?

Is there someone on here using Allisonhouse to collect KOKX data and is that working? That might prove that the access channel is the issue. The official government NOAA site can post live images so the radar station does seem to be up, only not for us folks.

Thanks in advance
Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
"NOUS61 KOKX 011157FTMOKX Message Date:  Jun 01 2020 11:58:25 KOKX RADAR will be down for approximately two weeks due to antenna pedestal refu rbishment."

Doug
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:15:54 AM by AWL »

Offline BrianLehan

Ah then I guess that answers it. Where did you find that message? I've tried to find a "service" to keep updated but so far havent found one. In the meantime I'll try to be patient. :)

Thanks Doug
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
This shows all the radar sites and there status. https://radar3pub.ncep.noaa.gov/
To get the status for a particular site I believe you have to go to the KOKX  NWS radar site. In the upper right corner is a link to the radar status page.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline BrianLehan

Thanks - I think I had seen it once upon a time. Now bookmarked.

Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
Ken has a script( https://saratoga-weather.org/scripts-NEXRAD.php#NEXRADStatus) which will display a radar status message. I have it above my radar and will not display unless there is a problem. Ken keeps us all going!

Doug

Offline BrianLehan

Thanks Doug - I was sure at some point I thought there were notices, and after your message I found I do have the script, and there is a txt file in my current cache folder from KOKX pointing to https://radar3pub.ncep.noaa.gov/rcvxmit.sites.public.html

So now I have to figure out why the php page was not displaying it.   :shock:
I get NEXRAD radar KOKX status not found.

Maybe because in the script http://weather.noaa.gov/monitor/radar/ is 404 not found?
And in my actual text file I have the following message:
HTTP/1.1 302 Object Moved
Location: https://radar3pub.ncep.noaa.gov/rcvxmit.sites.public.html
Content-Type: text/html
Cache-Control: private
Connection: close

<head><body> This object may be found <a HREF="https://radar3pub.ncep.noaa.gov/rcvxmit.sites.public.html">here</a> </body>
||||||
HTTP/1.1 302 Object Moved
Content-Type: text/html
Cache-Control: private
Connection: close
<pre>
<head><body> This object may be found <a HREF="https://radar3pub.ncep.noaa.gov/ftm.txt">here</a> </body></pre>

Well that was easy, updated script to latest, and found I never moved the Feb 2018 version from prep to the live folder. God is in the details.

Thanks
Brian
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 05:24:08 PM by BrianLehan »
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
You do seem to need a bunch of script updates (shown by check-fetch-times.php?show=versions on your site).

I suggest you do the updates, and that will likely fix the issues of slow response/timeouts when accessing your site and the    radar-status.php update will fix the issue with KOKX not found.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline BrianLehan

Thanks, I've been holding off making any changes script updates until I know which software package I will finally replace VWS with, thinking it is going to require I refresh and reedit a whole new set of scripts tuned to the new package right?

Right now the server is on a DSL connection so it has never been rapid since I went to scripts, used to be fine with the old HTML based site using VWS templates. You really think just updating the existing scripts will fix that?

Thanks
Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
The majority of the scripts that need updating on your site are independent of the Plugin for the weather software used .. they provide the data from external websites used by the Base template package.  For a different weather software, you'd just need to install and configure the Plugin for that software.

The slowness is likely caused by downlevel versions of 3 scripts: get-metar-conditions-inc.php, get-USNO-sunmoon.php, and advforecast2.php.  You should just update them all...
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline BrianLehan

Good to know. I will look at them over the weekend.

Thanks
Brian
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar

Offline BrianLehan

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2021, 11:30:39 PM »
A long overdue update. I hit the ground running coming off furlough last July first and never got around to finish many of the projects I had queued up in my furlough/quarantine to keep my sanity.

Yesterday while watching it snow and snow and snow I realized so much on my site was no longer working or stale, so I pulled a full update of scripts and spent the evening tonight comparing and putting back in tweaks I had made to the set running since 2018.

So while I had fixed the GR3 issue back then, I still had issues scripting its automated start-up and broadcasting in windows 7 64 bit using the latest SciTE suite. Gave up and installed the old one and ran the script as a 32 bit application. Works just fine.

And yesterday I noticed that the WU radar images on the top were from last June. So lots to be happy about besides resolving this posting thread. I also got my WU history page running again.

Happy Groundhog Day folks, regardless of what the famous rodent says, spring always starts in 6.57 weeks, or 46 days from February 2nd in non-leap years!  [tup]

Night

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Gr3 Radar