Author Topic: Weathelink IP not communicating with Weatherlink.com  (Read 8083 times)

Offline ugwxmaze

• Rookie
Weathelink IP not communicating with Weatherlink.com
« on: March 05, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
Just got a new DavisVP2 6163 with WeatherlinkIP 6555. I can not get it to log onto their website to even register.  Called their support and they said my station was not communication with their website as they have not received any data.  Any other suggestions?  Ping test and other suggestions worked

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Weathelink IP not communicating with Weatherlink.com
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »
It would help if we knew the "other suggestions" so we know what's been done and don't repeat them...

Offline ugwxmaze

• Rookie
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
I did all of this and sent to davis, they have not responded yet

Hello,

Below is the complete procedure to follow to get as much information as possible. Some of these steps you may have already done but lets do them anyway...

Reset the power on your console in the manner described below...

1) Power down the display console completely (remember to go into the setup mode by pressing the DONE and MINUS keys at the same time before powering down). Remove the C cell batteries then disconnect the AC adapter. Don't remove the datalogger itself or the cable connected between it and the router..

2) Once power is removed, make sure the datalogger is firmly attached to the display.
3) Wait 1 minute.
4) Re-power the console. Connect the AC adapter first and then the batteries.
5) When RECEIVING FROM is displayed, press the BAR key to display the baud rate screen. Verify that 19200 baud is displayed.

6) Re-attach the battery door cover then press and hold DONE key on display console to view the weather display.

Insure the link lights on the router and the datalogger are lite.

Monitor your WeatherLink.com web page. It should start updating in about 2 minutes or so.

In the WeatherLink software, do a FIND from the Communications Port dialog box (click on SETUP then COMMUNICATIONS PORT). Make sure TCP/IP is selected and that Local Device ID is selected. Click on the FIND buttom. This should return the MAC address of the logger. Another popup dialog box should display the local IP address.

If FIND does not work, then either:

1) The WLIP is not on the same network as the PC - make sure they are connected as closely together as possible to the same router or switch.

2) The datalogger cannot get an IP address from the DHCP server (which is normally a built-in function of a home
router)

Do a TEST from the Communications Port dialog box (click TEST button). If it fails, it will either say "Communication Error" or "Could not establish connection because the port is in use"

"Communications error" means it cannot create a connection to the datalogger - this is a problem with the datalogger not being happy on the network.

"Port in use" means that the software is talking to the datalogger and it is working fairly well, but the software cannot talk to console through the datalogger. This can happen if the console baud rate is not set to 19,200 or if the console is at any setup screen other than the first "receiving from" screen, or if the serial port on the console or the datalogger is bad.

Try accessing the datalogger Config Web Page and do a PING TEST

Whether local communications works or not, enter the IP address returned in FIND into a web browser. It should load a yellow configuration page. If it does not, try hitting refresh once or twice. From the Config Page, what is listed for the following parameters...

Device ID
Hardware version
Firmware version
Bootware version
IP Address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
DNS Server
TCP Port number

Which of the two selections below is selected in the config page...

1) Obtain an IP Address Automatically

2) Use the following IP Address

In the Config Page, is Upload to weatherlink.com checkmarked?

If the Web page does load, make sure the port is set to 22222 and upload to Weatherlink.com is checked. If the port number here does not match the port number in WeatherLink5.8, then TEST will fail. They should usually be left at the default of 22222.

To do a PING test, click Start then Run and enter "cmd". At the Command prompt, type "ping <IP addr>"

Where <IP adddr> is the address returned in FIND (i.e "ping 192.168.1.102" ) Is a response received, or does the ping time out?

In addition to the above, please get the IP info from the PC that has the WeatherLink software installed on it and that is connected to the same LAN as the WeatherLink IP logger....

From windows, open a dos command prompt. Click on Start then Run then type "cmd" (don't include quotes) then press the ENTER key. Type "ipconfig /all > ip.txt" and hit enter (no quotes of course).  There should be a short pause but no output. Type "notepad ip.txt" and hit enter.  This should open a text editor with a bunch of network info.  Copy this into an email and send it to me.

From windows, open a dos command prompt. Click on Start then Run then type "cmd" (don't include quotes) then press the ENTER key. Type "nslookup weatherlink.com > ns.txt" and hit enter (no quotes of course).  There should be a short pause but no output. Type "notepad ns.txt" and hit enter.  This should open a text editor with THE ip info.  Copy this into an email and send it to me.

Please let me know the results of these tests.

Larry Smith
510-732-7814

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »
OK! So you did what Davis asked. Good.

Maybe we could offer help too if you posted a summary of your answers to Davis. Some of those were questions and not just suggestions.

If you can't even register your WLIP, have you double and triple checked the entry of your WLIP's DID and KEY on their registration form for correctness?
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline ugwxmaze

• Rookie
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:18 PM »
Got this fixed by Davis.  the dns on the router had to be set to a different number.