Weather Software > Virtual Weather Station

VWS and Windows 10

<< < (2/9) > >>

92merc:
Not always.  Sometimes the restart is to just reload what is cached.  Windows 8/10 have a "quick boot" feature.  That right click restart is just a reload of the quick boot.

I've been in situations where I was installing software, and the installation would fail.  Second attempt to install anything would fail stating a previous installation was still in process.  A regular restart wouldn't fix it.

That's when you have to resort to the command prompt restart, which is more like Windows 7 full restart.

92merc:
I guess it's called Fast Boot in Windows 8, and Fast Startup in Windows 10.  But they both have it.  It's a hybrid shutdown to a hibernate file, and boot back up again off the hibernate file.  Usually that's fine, but sometimes can cause issues.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

pwdiver:
Well for what ever reason when my computer updated the win 10 version to a newer one my VWS software stopped working, it would not let me open the file at all that I might not have administrator access. Ive never seen this before so I tried to reinstall all I get is a message stating that no software was installed or removed Ive got VWS downloads saved on a backup drive that wont install either. ](*,)

stevebrtx:
I've not had to reinstall in Win8.1, but in the past when I did in XP and Win7 I always had to go in and delete the VWS Installer folder in Programs. Don't know if that's what's happening in your case or not.

I just bought a little HP running Win8.1 as a backup, I absolutely will not go to Win10, I'll go to Apple or Linux.

pwdiver:
Thanks for the info Ive got WD installed and up and running I think Ill try this for a while I have been using VWS since 2005. Ill try to get my VWS at some point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version