Author Topic: Aviation Weather  (Read 8411 times)

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
Aviation Weather
« on: June 16, 2015, 03:22:37 AM »
Any interest in starting an Aviation Weather board specific to aviation related weather topics?

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
Re: Aviation Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
 :lol: that stuff is cool too but not really what I was thinking. That being said, if there is interest and Ken wants to create one we can go as far down into "Aviation" weather as You or anyone else wants to. I was thinking typical topics would be things like NOTAMs, PIREPS, SIGMETs, AIRMETs, METARs, ASOS, RVR, Pilot Weather Briefings, Icing/Turbulence/Winds Aloft Forecasts, Wind Sheer, etc. I didn't know how many here are either pilots or interested in Aviation related weather topics so thought I'd throw it out there.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
If you want, I can offer info on ATC and how weather effects the flying community. Whether there'll be interest enough for a board.... :?:

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 04:45:09 PM »
I took lessons at the Base Aero Club but never liked flying.  I'm more interested in wx eqpt & Navaids.  I'm so old, my information would be historical  like the days before computers and Nexrad (1975-1983).
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »
Ok, I'm sold.. this post move to the new Aviation Weather board

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
If you want, I can offer info on ATC and how weather effects the flying community. Whether there'll be interest enough for a board.... :?:

That would be great, thanks.

Best regards,
Ken

Thanks Ken!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 05:58:35 PM »
I took lessons at the Base Aero Club but never liked flying.  I'm more interested in wx eqpt & Navaids.  I'm so old, my information would be historical  like the days before computers and Nexrad (1975-1983).
Like VOR's, NDB's, ADF, TACAN's, VORTAC's, MLS's, they're almost all gone.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:10 PM »

That would be great, thanks.

Best regards,
Ken

Thanks Ken!
How 'bout that, ask and you shall receive. Let me know if you want something.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 07:30:40 PM »
This will be another great board, great idea guys!  8-)  UU
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »

I don't know why, but when I read that I felt old. It's all relative I suppose...but first thing that came to mind was: dah dit dit...dit dah...dah dit (Where I worked in weather, we also handled the local unicom frequency) and was I believe the last place in the country to have a tetrahedron showing wind direction. Don't quote me on the last place part though...it was about 20 years ago.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »

I don't know why, but when I read that I felt old. It's all relative I suppose...but first thing that came to mind was: dah dit dit...dit dah...dah dit (Where I worked in weather, we also handled the local unicom frequency) and was I believe the last place in the country to have a tetrahedron showing wind direction. Don't quote me on the last place part though...it was about 20 years ago.
I don't know if this is the place you speak of, but RDU is where I had my job interview back in 1984 to be hired by the FAA. At that time I lived just down the street from where DoctorKnow now lives. Small world.

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »

I don't know if this is the place you speak of, but RDU is where I had my job interview back in 1984 to be hired by the FAA. At that time I lived just down the street from where DoctorKnow now lives. Small world.

dah dit dit...dit dah...dah dit

Actually the above works out to a station identifier (not RDU) just a bit North  ;)

My Dad was a pilot for several years after he served in the Army and Air Force, but after the pilot years, he got recruited (multiple times and he finally gave in and applied to the academy) by the regional director out of NY I believe. That ended up being a 30 year career with the FAA.

Edit: Sorry, it's been a long time. It should have been: da di dit...di dah...da dit
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:37:56 PM by Skyview »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 10:47:36 PM »

dah dit dit...dit dah...dah dit

Actually the above works out to a station identifier (not RDU) just a bit North  ;)

My Dad was a pilot for several years after he served in the Army and Air Force, but after the pilot years, he got recruited (multiple times and he finally gave in and applied to the academy) by the regional director out of NY I believe. That ended up being a 30 year career with the FAA.

Edit: Sorry, it's been a long time. It should have been: da di dit...di dah...da dit
That went right over my head. Danville, of course!

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 11:19:31 PM »
That went right over my head. Danville, of course!

When I saw VOR it just made me think about that as that is what is transmitted (or at least was) on 113.1 MHz.

anything