Author Topic: WeatherLink USB Has Frozen a Second Time -- Due to Windows 8.1 Auto Update  (Read 846 times)

Offline hdskullfire2

Hi all..

I'm a new user of WeatherLink-USB and Vantage Pro2 and this is my first post here. I use WL Ver 6.03

I found something about WL-USB this morning that it will freeze the program completely if you allow Windows 8.1 updater to automatically download and install MS 8.1 updates..or any others for that matter.

I now have a track record of this occurring twice now..Both situations were the same.. the result of Windows wanting to complete the update and restart.. WL just froze up completely at that point and I had to tell Windows to restart to get everything running again.. As soon as the machine restarted all was fine again..

What I was unaware of was that I inadvertently left the updater in that mode.. I normally do manual updates.. This is a brand new Dell machine and WL pretty much has it to itself.. I've since set that to manual updates and wanted to let everyone know to be on the safe side and check your settings..

Key ones to make sure you don't have a freeze up.. Power settings.. Make sure nothing sleeps..!!! In the case of WL-USB make sure the machine cannot put the USB/Com ports to sleep.. That will cause WL to freeze and it will stop communicating with the outside world.. And make sure the Windows Auto Updater is set to Manual..!!! 

Steve J. Nordahl, NS3L
Nazareth, Pa.

KPANAZAR13