Author Topic: WeatherLink Ip  (Read 11003 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: WeatherLink Ip
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2015, 09:53:38 PM »
15 minutes up wind/ up lake is what I will get in 15 minutes.   So if the up wind report is delayed 14 minutes I do not have much time.  You would be surprised to see how quickly weather blows in on big water.

Why isn't data on WeatherLink.com sufficiently timely?  [If using the WeatherLinkIP, it's every minute]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:56:55 PM by dalecoy »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2015, 10:06:28 PM »
15 minutes up wind/ up lake is what I will get in 15 minutes.   So if the up wind report is delayed 14 minutes I do not have much time.  You would be surprised to see how quickly weather blows in on big water.

Why isn't data on WeatherLink.com sufficiently timely?  [If using the WeatherLinkIP, it's every minute]
I thought the whole rub about this is that IP is NOT every minute, but 15. Good Lord, the average tornado last only 15 minutes!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2015, 10:13:45 PM »
I use WU; have no idea if WL.com is more current.  If it is 15 minutes it is useless to me.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 10:35:31 PM »
Let's let stormchaser911 answer that:

My weather Updates every 1 min to weather Link here is my link,  http://www.weatherlink.com/user/stormchaser911/index.php?view=main&headers=1

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:28 PM »
Am I mistaken in thinking WL IP only updates WU every 15 minutes?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 10:50:04 PM »

Timely is irrelevant.  Nearest WL.com station to me is about 90 kms away as the crow flies.  OTOH, there are several WU stations within 10 kms of me.  Up wind.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2015, 11:01:34 PM »
Let's let stormchaser911 answer that:

My weather Updates every 1 min to weather Link here is my link,  http://www.weatherlink.com/user/stormchaser911/index.php?view=main&headers=1
Well that's not the IP I bought 4 yrs. ago. Looks like Davis figured out, at least in my book, that 15 min. updates at "critical" times are basically worthless.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 11:02:32 PM »
The question was:  If you were using a WeatherLinkIP, and it sent your data to WeatherLink.com every 1 minute, why would that not be sufficient for you?

I wasn't asking about other stations.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2015, 04:00:02 AM »
Also just a FYI Weather Link Ip uploads to CWOP and Weather Underground every 15 min eh wish it was quicker. Thanks gang

Wasn't this the key part of the quote? I presume that it's the forwarding interval from wl.com to eg WU that is being complained about (ie every 15 mins), not the initial uploads from logger to wl.com (every minute).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:31 AM »
Also just a FYI Weather Link Ip uploads to CWOP and Weather Underground every 15 min eh wish it was quicker. Thanks gang

Wasn't this the key part of the quote? I presume that it's the forwarding interval from wl.com to eg WU that is being complained about (ie every 15 mins), not the initial uploads from logger to wl.com (every minute).

Yes, and I understand the "complaint".  People would like WeatherLink.com to forward data to WU and CWOP more often. 

But my point was, if data from the same station is available at 1-minute intervals on WeatherLink.com, why isn't that sufficient for any critical uses that depend on data from one weather station.

As I understand it, Bushman needs good weather data from "up wind/ up lake" more frequently.  That's a legitimate need, of course.  But the data: (1) is not from his own personal weather station; and (2) " Nearest WL.com station to me is about 90 kms away as the crow flies.  OTOH, there are several WU stations within 10 kms of me.  Up wind."  So, if that WL.com station were sending data to WU every minute, it would still not be useful to Bushman.

Bottom line: if you don't need the data from a particular location, then it's irrelevant how current that data is.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2015, 10:47:49 AM »
Glacial..... :lol:

I used to have a picture of a glacier between two mountains ending up in a lake.  A guy walked by and asked if that ice was running into the lake.  I said, "Yes, but very slowly."   #-o

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.   :lol:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA