Author Topic: Weatherlink v6.0  (Read 15332 times)

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Weatherlink v6.0
« on: April 07, 2012, 06:15:49 AM »
I see that WLv6.0.0 has now been released.

The only significant new feature is the upload capability to weatherlink.com for owners of USB and serial loggers (ie in addition to 6555 loggers), which has been promised for a few months now. To spell out the obvious: This upload facility from the 6510USB/SER loggers to weatherlink.com can only be mediated by WLv6 running on a PC attached to the logger, whereas the 6555 IP logger is capable of autonomous uploads (ie no PC necessary).

The upload to wl.com from 6510USB/SER loggers is a subscription-only service (again in contrast to the IP logger where use of the service will continue to be free once you've bought the IP logger itself) with the sub being $30 pa, and purchased in the US direct from Davis as part 6658. I suspect that it will be at least a couple of weeks yet before pricing details for countries outside the US are sorted out and published.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Weatherlink v6.0
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
just looking at the 'whats new' list
Does not look like any big changes.  I was hoping for new graphics or some new addition.
I will see what others think before loading it.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 09:42:15 AM »
Up and running. No obvious changes to the UI. Now I guess we'll see how stable it is.
Why do I have this nagging feeling I'll be using 5.9.2.a very soon.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 10:29:15 AM »
Up and running.   No Problem.  Only change I see is the WL com line in the file menue.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
Up and running. No obvious changes to the UI. Now I guess we'll see how stable it is.

Could have called it 5.9.4 and saved 6.0.0 for cool UI changes...

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:26 AM »
Can you just install it over the old one (I have 5.9.3), or do you have to remove it first?
-----------------
During the installation instructions it says to install it to the existing directory. Answered my own question! :oops:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:03:05 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:07:35 PM »

I agree. 6.0.0 sounds like a major upgrade.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
Questions:

1) Do you have to reinstall WU applet.
2) Do you have to reschedule your uploads.
3) Do you have to reconfigure your stations.

a 5 to 6 would indicate might have in our 5 to 5's we didn't have to...

Offline Elembytes

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »
I have updated my IP weather link to 6.0 also, no problems, on Windows 7, 64 bit.

I do have a question though.  Upon installation it said that if I delete a older version DO NOT removed SHARED FILES, so my question is how do I go about uninstalling the 5.93 software but leave the shared files?

Any help would be appreciated!

Reid

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
I have updated my IP weather link to 6.0 also, no problems, on Windows 7, 64 bit.

I do have a question though.  Upon installation it said that if I delete a older version DO NOT removed SHARED FILES, so my question is how do I go about uninstalling the 5.93 software but leave the shared files?

Any help would be appreciated!

Reid

Just don't uninstall the old version and you don't have to worry. If you for some reason have problem with the new version you can just run the older version.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
I think it's pretty lame that Davis wants to charge owners of it's hardware, other than the WLIP 6555, a subscription fee in order to upload data to the the Weatherlink Network.
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 03:22:55 AM »
Any new tags to be found in 5.9.4 6.0?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 04:19:13 AM »

I know what you mean, though 3rd level increments, ie 5.9.3==>5.9.4 are usually just reserved for bugfixes, eg to driver configuration. Whereas the upload to weatherlink.com is a significant new feature. But you could argue that v5.10 might have been a more reasonable designation.

But I gather that Davis preferred that the second level designation didn't run into double digits, which could occasionally be confusing, and also felt that there had been such a long run of minor version number increments in the v5.x.x series that they preferred instead to set a new reference point in the version number at v6.0. I an also see that it's potentially marginally clearer if a user is asking whether they can upload to wl.com with a USB logger to be able to answer that they must be running WLv6 rather than some other less memorable version. But I agree that it's a fairly arbitrary decision, though I can understand some of the thinking behind it.

And actually I'm not convinced that there are any cool UI changes waiting in the wings, though I could well be proved wrong. But I'm not sure that Davis's future software strategy doesn't revolve around (i) some simple local software to manage uploads to weatherlink.com, and then with an expanded set of viewing and analysis services available on the web platform; and (ii) for those users who do want local data handling then the software would be more like the Envoy8X's WDTU with a comprehensive set of data dumped into an SQL database and with the market open for third-party viewing/analysis software to rule the roost.

(Actually, in a small way, this introduction of v6 could be in users' favour. In the past when Davis have introduced a new major version, eg v4 to v5, this has effectively been a chargeable upgrade for prior users of v4, whereas now that v6.0 has been released it would then be more difficult to charge for eg v6.(x+1).)

@JACK10562 I suspect what Davis would argue is that it's not the facility to upload your data where they're looking to recover some money, but the presumption that once you have started to upload you will then be wanting to use the weatherlink.com server to view web pages and use the other services there such as the WU/CWOP uploads etc. Assuming that a significant percentage of users take up this option then this is obviously going to put an extra load on their server infrastructure and it's not unreasonable that the users of the service should contribute towards this extra cost. (And, of course, like many other companies that market software services, Davis can see the appeal of moving more to a subscription model. This is just an obvious commercial move nowadays I'm afraid, much like Microsoft with Office365 and other comparable commercial offerings.)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:58:34 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 10:51:35 AM »
I think it's pretty lame that Davis wants to charge owners of it's hardware, other than the WLIP 6555, a subscription fee in order to upload data to the the Weatherlink Network.

I take the opposite approach. I can't believe they didn't charge for it from the beginning, even for WLIP. Just now (7:40 AM PDT Monday, 9 April 2012), their station map says there are 8415 stations reporting. That's not a trivial server setup to receive data from that many stations, and serve up web pages.

Secondly, apparently the cost of the server and access is built into the WLIP. However, non-WLIP users would be getting a free ride. It's only fair to Davis to charge a nominal fee for the ease of uploading to their server for your own web page. They are, after all, in the business to make money.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 11:34:14 AM »

I take the opposite approach. I can't believe they didn't charge for it from the beginning, even for WLIP. Just now (7:40 AM PDT Monday, 9 April 2012), their station map says there are 8415 stations reporting. That's not a trivial server setup to receive data from that many stations, and serve up web pages.

Secondly, apparently the cost of the server and access is built into the WLIP. However, non-WLIP users would be getting a free ride. It's only fair to Davis to charge a nominal fee for the ease of uploading to their server for your own web page. They are, after all, in the business to make money.

+1

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »
The initial subscription price of $30.00 "Product price includes activation fee".

What is the annual price after activation?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »
What is the annual price after activation?

Far as I know, the price will be a recurrent $30 every year. The way I read that sentence is that there's no additional fee for activation.

How fixed the $30 will be is difficult to predict - this must be a fairly arbitrary figure, though presumably calculated on some estimated level of take-up and then the cost of servicing that take-up, plus some margin. Maybe if the take-up isn't very good then they might (total speculation here) try it at $20 or $25. But my guess would be that they'll try to hold it at $30 for at least 2-3 years.

Would be nice though to think that they might try to offer some more presentational tools fairly soon, eg something akin to the Plot module in WL, perhaps done in HTML5. They have all the data on-tap for that and it's obviously the sort of thing that's widely done for financial websites where you can get trend graphs of share values over variable periods. Personally I'd suggest that they perhaps do need to offer more than the present wl.com site to justify $30pa for many users. But if they could offer more cosmetically-attractive and well-executed presentational options and backed up with sufficient server horsepower and backup to keep the system responsive and storage reliable then it might become quite an attractive proposition.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
Far as I know, the price will be a recurrent $30 every year. The way I read that sentence is that there's no additional fee for activation.

There are a lot of "unknowns" at the moment - or at least I can't find answers on the Davis site.

For instance, what happens if I don't renew?  Does my archived data go away?
What if I forget to renew, and then remember a week later?  Activate with a different ID?
What if my station is moved?  [That's a consideration with WeatherLinkIP, also]
Is there some way to tell how many remaining days of activation I have left?
Will I get reminders to renew?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 12:41:22 PM »
There are a lot of "unknowns" at the moment - or at least I can't find answers on the Davis site.

I think you're right. Davis are (/have been made) aware that there are a number of detailed questions that aren't covered by the current FAQ. There are noises to the effect that this is being reviewed - hopefully with some positive outcome in the weeks to come.

But I think more generally Davis need to provide more targeted support for wl.com. At present everything is being dealt with by the normal front-line support who usually know quite a lot about the weather station hardware but aren't necessarily so clued up about the details of the wl.com server operation. There will presumably be an influx of new wl.com users now that WLv6 is released and the pending release of the Connect product will also undoubtedly expand the user base further. It would be good to think that some of the new subscription income would be used to provide the extra support that will presumably now be needed.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:43:09 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2012, 10:01:09 AM »
I updated to 6.0.0 and under Reports>Yearly Rainfall I get zeros, dashes and eight digit numbers instead of years.  In other words the yearly rainfall report got total screwed up. If I go to yearly summaries everything is hunky-dory OK....

So I rename rain.db to WrongRain.db and WL says missing would you like to create a new one -yes and all back to normal.

That is my only glitch so far with 6.0.0.

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 01:39:33 AM »
Over and over again, I have been tempted to get something other than WL.  I've never been impressed by the graphics or the features.  I use it infrequently and rely on WU to "see" my reports.

I've been most attracted to Ambient VW.  It has a great graphics but I hate spending more dough.

I wish Davis would give me something fancier.

The hardware? -  VP2 USB
Installation? - top notch
Reliabilitly?  - excellent
Software?  - tired.

IMHO

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »
I like VWS and WD and find pieces of both make a more complete site.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 09:19:40 AM »
Over and over again, I have been tempted to get something other than WL.  I've never been impressed by the graphics or the features.  I use it infrequently and rely on WU to "see" my reports.

Have you considered WUHU or Cumulus?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
A week ago, I sent email to Davis asking:

I see that one fix is "Allows you to set a Lat/Long for a web download station to allow the calculation of THSWI. "

I'm not totally sure that I understand this statement - please elaborate, if possible.

Also, does this mean that there are now additional tags for THSW?

The answer I received today is:

Knowing what your geographic coordinates are allows the software to make educated allowance for your actual Solar Radiation.  This way a calculation of THSWI will be much more likely to be accurate.

No, it does not mean that additional tags have been added to the software.

anything