Author Topic: WL 5.1 for Mac/OSX  (Read 2695 times)

Offline AridZona

WL 5.1 for Mac/OSX
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:12:31 AM »
I installed WeatherLink 5.1 for OSX on my iMac (running OSX 10.5.8.)  Followed the instructions to a 't', including loading the supplied USB drivers from the CD prior to launching WL.  It froze when I attempted to create my weather station, then quit.  Subsequent attempts to run the program gave the error message about the libjspMACOSX.jnilib being found, but not being in the right packaging or something similar (don't remember the exact wording of the error message.)  I tried checking the "Open in 32-bit mode" box for WeatherLink.app, received the same error message.  I deleted the entire program, rebooted, went to Davis' support site and downloaded the most current version, along with the most current 210x USB drivers from Silicon Labs' website, rebooted, reinstalled the whole package from scratch and tried again - same error message.  I have no other programs running at the same time that are trying to access the Davis console (e.g., no other weather software).  WeatherLink.app is in the same directory/folder with the other files (I did not drag it out of the folder onto my desktop as a shortcut/alias).

I've searched the forums here and elsewhere and the only tips I've found were to check the "Open in 32-bit mode" (which I've tried) and download the latest SL drivers (which I've also tried).  Does anybody have any other suggestions to get this thing running?  The USB port works perfectly with Lightsoft Weather Center v2.10, b1813 - I have full communication with the console and have been uploading to WU and CWOP at 98-100% error-free rates, so it doesn't seem that the problem lies with the USB driver.  I'm computer-literate in both the Mac and Windows worlds and generally pretty decent at troubleshooting software issues, but this one has me stumped.

Related question: Should I even bother with it?  Can WL do anything essential that I can't accomplish through LWC?  Any comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.  If there's no compelling reason to bother with WL, I'll just wipe it from the computer and not worry about it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:21:47 AM by AridZona »

Mac
Davis 6153 VP2 w/FARS | LWC 2.10

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
Re: WL 5.1 for Mac/OSX
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »
I don't know if I can help, but I just set up my weather station doing pretty much what you are attempting.

24" iMac running OS X10.6.8 (so a newer OS)
Davis WeatherLink 5.10 connected via Weather Envoy.
Silicon Labs driver CP2102
Lightsoft Weather Center 2.11 (build 50)

I was running into the crashing and error problems until I read to check the 32-bit option. Then things worked fine. I did delete the newly created station folder and config.dat in user --> WLink between each try. That might help.

I find the libjspMacOSX.jnilib file in the Applications --> "Mac OSX WeatherLink" folder along with the WeatherLink application.

I only used WeatherLink to set the barometric pressure on the Envoy (as described in http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=12936.msg125582#msg125582.) I use LWC for everything else, and never even have WL running.

I hope that helps get things running for you. Pop in at MacWeather.net for a LWC specific forum to compliment the overall station and weather knowledge here at WXforum.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline AridZona

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:25:53 PM »
Thanks for your post, Steve.  You're regressing back to DOS/Windows with the 'config.dat', though....you mean 'station.cfg'?  :grin:

My libjspMacOSX.jnilib is in the folder along with the WL.app - no joy.  I tried the USB drivers that came on the Davis CD, and also downloaded and tried updated drivers from SiLabs.  I even tried nuking everything, downloading the most recent edition of WL OSX from the Davis website and tried all over (including forcing WL to 32-bit operation)...still no luck.  Thanks for the pointer to macweather.com - I've already poked around over there and read almost every thread - it's a good reference for LWC.

As long as I'm not missing any critical function (most importantly data logging) by not using WL, I won't even worry about it.  If I need to calibrate any of my sensors I'll just do it through the VP2's console.  LWS works great and I've had no issues with it - still 99%-100% data quality at all times transmitting to both CWOP and WU.  My whole internet connection went down for an hour or so this morning and I lost some data to CWOP, but can't fault LWS for that!

Mac

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 12:39:13 AM »
Thanks for your post, Steve.  You're regressing back to DOS/Windows with the 'config.dat', though....you mean 'station.cfg'?  :grin:

HA! Nope, it is config.dat. I've never even had a DOS or Windows computer.

Being able to set the barometer in the console should eliminate your need to run WeatherLink, I think. I needed it because I'm using the Envoy connected to the computer, so I needed to offset the barometric pressure.

Good luck,
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

Offline AridZona

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 01:13:02 AM »
Many thanks for the help, Steve.  I'll just wipe WL from the drive and stick with LWS.  I'd read plenty of information about WL for OSX before I bought the datalogger/software and knew I was getting into a package with very limited functionality (compared to the Windows version) anyway, so no big loss.  At least the USB data logger itself works perfectly!

Mac

anything