Author Topic: WeatherlinkIP  (Read 26207 times)

Offline marinerjoe

Re: WeatherlinkIP
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 06:58:59 AM »
I just logged into my weatherlink site, and saw that the only options for uploading is still GLOBE and CWOP.

weatherforyou - save your gas on a trip to Hayward, unless you want to MOTIVATE the Davis folks to get moving a little quicker.  As soon as the WU capability is enabled, I'll jump in and let you know. 

Joe

Offline glorfindeal

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
I think that the tech guy said only one person was working on the website features and not as a full time job.  He did say that the website is a work in progress and would support more features overtime.

Glor

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 09:26:31 AM »
Joe I guess what I meant to say in regard to support is the software allows you to upload via the Wunderground Module.
If I'm not mistaken I believe Wunderground created that module specifically for WL users. I could be wrong on that. If so couldn't you also make an add on module for Weather For You?

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
To give you an idea what's possible, after making one of these for myself, I'm considering building and selling this ultra low power PC that would sell for about $400 including a legal copy of windows. I am currently testing it for suitability and solid 24x7 unattended operation. Specs are:
500 MHz AMD processor
256 MB ram
4 GB internal flash disk
2xUSB 2.0
Serial port
VGA port
Keyboard/mouse port
10/100 ethernet port
audio in/out ports
XP Home
Includes copy of SoftWx's StartWatch and VirtualVP
Dimensions: approx. 7"x7"x1.3"

I currently have it connected to (and powering) a USB pen drive and a Logitech QuickCam Pro. The Kill-a-watt meter is showing it drawing 5 to 6 watts. Without the USB devices attached, it runs 4 to 5 watts. It can run VirtualVP, WeatherLink, and VPLive without breaking a sweat. I've run WeatherDisplay, and that works too, although that starts pushing it's limits. Since it's windows, you can just plug in a USB 802.11 wireless device (NewEgg sells them for $15-$25) and you've got a  wireless server of your VP data (via VirtualVP).

You can run it headless with something like VNC, or hook a keyboard, mouse and monitor up to it and use it like a regular computer. It's entirely solid state and runs very cool. It doesn't even need heatsinks on the motherboard, and after running windows awhile, you can touch the CPU directly and it's only just warm.

I know there are cheaper, more powerful windows computers out there, but not ultra low power, very low heat, small, and totally silent like this. I would go for something with open possibilities like this before I'd pay $500 for a closed box.

If you were talking linux, then you could subtract the price of Windows (about $90). If you were talking lower spec'ed embedded device, then you should be down to around $200.

Steve
SoftWx

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 06:40:41 PM »
If I'm not mistaken I believe Wunderground created that module specifically for WL users. I could be wrong on that.
Actually, from what I understand from conversations with Davis and others about five years ago, Davis removed the WU module from their software and gave it to WU to distribute so they wouldn't have to add support for other sites (namely weatherforyou.com).  WU has continued to update it with new capabilities, but they had a huge advantage from the start.

If so couldn't you also make an add on module for Weather For You?
If I had any programmers at my disposal who spoke C++.  :?  I have budgeted to contract with someone who can write a module once I finish paying for a couple other PWS projects.  However I'm wrestling with the fact all the other software added support for sending data with no compensation other than promotion on weatherforyou.com.  Is it fair to pay someone to write software to promote Davis without giving the other software authors some further compensation?

I'm about ready to forget Davis.  I came to that conclusion this morning after I received an e-mail that Meteohub had finished integrating support for sending data to weatherforyou.com.  That made me extremely excited and totally forget about Davis for a while.  There are so many pieces of software and devices that do support weatherforyou.com I really need to spend time, energy and money promoting them and their users.  While we'd love to serve Weatherlink users I have to leave it to them to nag Davis.  I've tried for seven years.  What bugged me is their attitude that we needed them to survive.  I don't think so!   :lol:

weatherforyou - save your gas on a trip to Hayward
Awww... but it was a good excuse to fly!  :lol:  Oh well, not great flying weather anyway.

As soon as the WU capability is enabled, I'll jump in and let you know. 
Thanks much... I do appreciate it.

Joe Torsitano

Offline ldelatorre

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 08:46:42 PM »

I currently have it connected to (and powering) a USB pen drive and a Logitech QuickCam Pro. The Kill-a-watt meter is showing it drawing 5 to 6 watts. Without the USB devices attached, it runs 4 to 5 watts. It can run VirtualVP, WeatherLink, and VPLive without breaking a sweat. I've run WeatherDisplay, and that works too, although that starts pushing it's limits. Since it's windows, you can just plug in a USB 802.11 wireless device (NewEgg sells them for $15-$25) and you've got a  wireless server of your VP data (via VirtualVP).

You can run it headless with something like VNC, or hook a keyboard, mouse and monitor up to it and use it like a regular computer. It's entirely solid state and runs very cool. It doesn't even need heatsinks on the motherboard, and after running windows awhile, you can touch the CPU directly and it's only just warm.

Awesome!  I like it!  But I'm not sure if you can do remote operation without XP Pro. 

Offline tinplate

• Forecaster
    • http://www.softwx.com/products.html
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »
Microsoft's Remote desktop isn't included in XP Home, but there are other free programs that do this.

Here's a picture of the device I described:

This has an internal mini-pci 802.11 wireless card with jack for an external antenna, but just using a USB wireless stick is cheaper.

Steve
SoftWx

Offline ldelatorre

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »
Don't need wireless.  Looking forward to seeing it on your web site.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 02:50:01 PM »
Cool Beans Steve!

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 06:59:44 PM »
In a phone call with the Davis Customer Support Manager this afternoon he said...

- GLOBE functionality isn't even fully working yet

- WU support MAY be added SOME TIME this spring (after the GLOBE problem is fixed)

- weatherforyou.com/HAMweather support MAY be added MONTHS after that

- If Davis decides to pull programmers off the IP project weatherforyou.com/HAMweather support MAY NEVER be added  :-(  ](*,)

They claim no one has ever asked for weatherforyou.com/HAMweather support in Davis products.  I know for a fact this is not true as I've been copied on e-mails from a NUMBER of people who have asked over the last seven years, most of which never received a reply from Davis.  So we will be focusing on promoting and supporting the eight software titles and three devices which do support weatherforyou.com/HAMweather, along with others we are aware of in development.  While we have wanted the opportunity to serve Davis Weatherlink users for over seven years, apparently Davis does not care about giving their users the ability to take advantage of what we have to offer.

As for the WeatherlinkIP product itself... it took them over a year to get it from first look to market, and even then it didn't have the functionality promoted (namely GLOBE).   Sounds like it was thrown together and pushed to market because of the other devices that came out.  And the fact it will take MONTHS to make additions sounds like it's development is mired in corporate red tape.  :?
Joe Torsitano

Offline marinerjoe

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 09:51:47 AM »
As I stated earlier in this post (and said in a new post), Weatherlink IP can now provide directly to WeatherUnderground as an option from the weatherlink.com site.  I will confirm complete functionality once I shut down my computer running the weatherlink software at home.

Joe

Offline Blairsville Weather- Caleb

• Blairsville Weather
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 07:53:02 PM »
I just noticed Ambientweather.com is selling the WeatherlinkIP for 223 bucks, that is down from two sixty something I believe it was recently.  When it falls below 200, I'm going to place an order.  My main desire for this thing is for it to be able to upload to WU, using their "Rapid Fire" updates.  Are you new IP owners satisfied in that regard?

they charge you tons for this stuff but it works great!
[

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 11:07:17 PM »
As I stated earlier in this post (and said in a new post), Weatherlink IP can now provide directly to WeatherUnderground as an option from the weatherlink.com site.  I will confirm complete functionality once I shut down my computer running the weatherlink software at home.

Joe

Joe...does it send 'everything' to Wunderground?
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline marinerjoe

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 01:47:08 PM »
It does NOT send everything to WU.  The same information it does NOT provide to WU is the same information it does NOT provide to CWOP.

Specific data elements that WeatherlinkIP does not provide are:
1.  Wind Gust information
2.  Rain Rate information
3.  Rain 24h information (to CWOP)

All of these data elements are populated when I have the Weatherlink software up and running on the PC.  However, that defeats my purpose for getting IP as I did not want to require a running computer to push the data up to the servers. 

To see my (and nearby) data on CWOP, go to http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxnear.cgi?call=CW9721 (my data is on the top line).  To see my data on WU go to http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KVAVIRGI45.

Joe

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »
And it doesn't send anything to PWSweather.com (weatherforyou.com/HAMweather).   :?
Joe Torsitano

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 04:58:53 PM »
It does NOT send everything to WU.  The same information it does NOT provide to WU is the same information it does NOT provide to CWOP.

Specific data elements that WeatherlinkIP does not provide are:
1.  Wind Gust information
2.  Rain Rate information
3.  Rain 24h information (to CWOP)

Joe

Welcome to Davis, the K-Mart of weather reporting software.  MarinerJoe, I also noted on your WU page that WeatherlinkIP does not support "Rapidfire" updates.  The last update when I pulled up you page was 12 minutes ago.  Davis responses to customer needs reminds me of those idiots running Mynamar accepting international aid.  Everyone's dying and they shut out every bit of help offered them.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
  The second possible solution would be getting that HauteSpot thing, but it would be cost prohibitive for me (HauteSpot = 500 bucks, serial weatherlink datalogger = 148 bucks;need both to operate).  If anyone has any experience with the HauteSpot, ie, does it upload all sensor information to any 3rd party PWS site, please respond.  Maybe the price will eventually go down.

About the price of HauteSpot, I wrote them after this post complaining about the price. I received a swift reply from Mr. Bob Ehlers which I have included below:

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate it. I will try to give you my best response.

We are familiar with a number of competing alternatives to our HauteWIND product which are priced lower and we understand that our price point is a competitive disadvantage for us, but we believe our pricing is justified.

We are first, and primarily, a commercial developer of wireless solutions optimized for video surveillance and public safety network operation. Our software and hardware are designed for military, federal/state/local government and commercial use. We saw an opportunity to take what we had already developed for a commercial customer and turn it into a retail product.

The enclosure we are using, the processor boards that we are using, the radio modules that we are using, even the antennas we are using are designed for performance, durability and reliability. We design, build and support our products from a US location. So our costs are admittedly high as the entire product is made in USA, boards and all.

Yes, it is possible, and Ambient Weather already offers, a cheap Ethernet only version which uses a network file server product as the compute board. This works fine, but there is no complete product support, no warranty, no tech support for end users trying to figure out how to use it with their firewall or router at home, etc. The file server product was never built to be used as a weather station and the manufacturer could cease manufacturing any time or change the software architecture at any time, making it impossible to continue production of a derived product. Not an ideal way to move forward.

Our retail partner, Ambient Weather, as well as backend service providers Weather Underground, WeatherBug and others all have been very impressed with our reliability, ease of use, technical support and customer satisfaction. They appreciate that we have worked closely with them to offer a product which is reliable, easy to use and a good value. The back end services have actively been pushing deployments of our products commercially, as they see that we significantly increase reliability and control for Personal Weather Stations associated with their services.

Using EPIA boards or other computing platforms, yes, a hobbyist could assemble their own product for less money, if they worked hard at it. As a manufactured product offered at retail, we need to allow margin to the retailer, we need to allow for technical support costs, we need to allow for RMA costs (we have had customers damage the product by opening it up and trying to modify it which we have still covered under our RMA policy), shipping costs, inventory carrying costs and more. So even if we used cheaper components we would still have to price the product at $350-400 minimum in order to stay in business. Understand that we receive many technical support calls regarding customer network configurations, having really nothing to do with our product per se. We support these customers and the cost of this support, as well as direct product support, is embedded in our pricing model.

Our retail partner, Ambient Weather is free to set his own price and charge whatever margin he believes the market will bear. Our MSRP is just that, a suggested price. We do not sell direct in the USA, as we do not want to compete with our retail channel. So retail pricing is a retailer decision, not ours.

If we decide that we should start manufacturing our products in China, reduce product quality, or reduce our focus on excellent customer service and support, then we will be able to reduce our product pricing, but for now, we will continue with the pricing we have. I hope you understand our position.

Thanks again for the input.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »
OK. I should start another thread for this, but since this one is such a hot topic, I'll bring it up here.

I've developed yet another hardware IP interface for weather stations. Right now, it works with Davis VP2s, as that's my preferred platform, and the prototypes are up and running and uploading data to my server.

While I'm aiming at different markets than the average weather forum user ("weather" it's Wxforum, VWS, WD, one of the regionals, or another one ;) ), I'm also interested in serving my fellow weather enthusiasts, especially if it fills an unmet need.

So, whaddya want (within reason) in something that uploads data from a weather station to "the Internet"?  Post here, PM me, whatever...

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 08:44:35 AM »
SLOWeather -
I would like to be able to upload all of the data viewable on my VP2 console to any of the different PWS websites out there (eg.,Weatherforyou, Weatherunderground, etc.) without the need to keep my computer on 24/7.  I have my high-speed modem/router/weathercam/VP2 console plugged into a decent sized UPS, so there's no need for a computer on all the time.  Ideally, whatever device interfaces with the VP2 console should be WiFi, so I can place my VP2 console in a different room than where my computer is, thus being able to monitor data from either location.  Other requirements are:

1. Must be small enough to hide behind the VP2 console.
2. Must be very low power consumption, otherwise I'd just leave the main PC on.
3. Must be able to utilize Weatherunderground "Rapidfire" updates.  Waiting every ten minutes for data to update does me no good in the middle of a storm.

I understand that at a minimum I will have to purchase Davis' serial datalogger/Weatherlink package, which I think is going for about 118 bucks now.  Tinplate mentioned building something like this for around 200 bucks.  I sure hope somebody comes up with something along these lines, I'm sick of waiting for Davis to get their act together and I can't afford the Hautespot.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2008, 11:13:33 PM »
Would it be a bonus if it had it's own web site?

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2008, 07:21:34 AM »
Sure, that would be great, if it didn't add to the overall cost :-)

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2008, 11:35:40 PM »
With PWSweather.com it can have it's own web site.  :)
Joe Torsitano

Offline spgmjr

• ws.mcroesch.com
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »
Davis is offering a $165 rebate until the end of the year.  It's making me consider getting it.  Those of you that upload to WU, what is the timing of the uploads?  Is it once a minute or more?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 08:41:56 PM »
That rebate requires that you be a current owner of a "regular" data logger, and you send it back to them... just in case you didn't read the fine print... or if it makes a difference...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline spgmjr

• ws.mcroesch.com
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 09:23:02 PM »
Yes, I read all the fine print.  Sending back the existing logger is a bit of a concern, so I want to make sure that WeatherLinkIP will do all that I want.  As I have been checking out the forum, getting more interested in getting my own weather page up and running more than anything.  Have VWS and have experimented a bit with web pages using this.