Author Topic: WeatherLink options for third party software.  (Read 14824 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: WeatherLink options for third party software.
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 09:48:22 AM »
dalecoy

WL only works in USB.

Oh.  As far as I can locate, you never said that before.  The first thing you posted was: "I have the USB version of WL, which I have changed to "serial port" in WL and used that for Cumulus, also."

So:
Yes, I have tried to download the driver from Davis ...
BUT, for whatever reason, my PC won't let me. Since I have WL loaded on 2 PC's, I have tried downloading the driver to both, without success.

If you actually can't download things to your PC, then you need to fix that problem.  If you mean that you can't successfully run what you downloaded - did you try the link I provided?  I don't know if it's better than others, but ....

At any rate, I now understand the difficulty.  You haven't converted the USB logger to "virtual serial port".  Until you do that, it ain't gonna work.  I think several other people have given you similar advice, and pointers to where to look.

Offline Sunfish

• Contributor
    • moor park weather
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »
Yes, I do have the USB version of WL, but the 'serial port' option does not work either in WL or Cumulus.

OK, I was able to download the Davis driver, but could not run it--as my earlier reply to PaulMy confirms. The 5.9.2 version of WL should deal with that.

Since the USB logger has already been used with the USB option, merely selecting 'serial port' won't do the trick.

John Dann of Prodata has a detailed note on this....http://vp-kb.wikispaces.com/PC+Interfaces

Offline whitenemesis

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 11:57:17 AM »
Sunfish, as you are running 5.9.2. you should already have installed the USB to serial converter. As stated in the link you provided it will have installed separately from WL but can be found in the WeatherLink folder via the Start menu

" The only way of returning to Serial/VCP mode seems to be to use a special separate utility, which is now included by default in the standard WL v5.8.2 installation and is called the 'CP210X USB to Serial Converter'.
On recent WL versions this utility will be found as a separate menu option within the main Weatherlink menu item - that's the WL menu on the Windows Start button, not inside the WL program itself. The utility is also available as a standalone download from the Davis support website."

Reading further the document then states that if the converter cannot 'see' the logger there is a more fundamental comms problem.

Have you located and run the converter utility from the 5.9.2. install? A simple DOS window appears ..

Offline Sunfish

• Contributor
    • moor park weather
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 03:40:29 PM »
WN

Yes I have that, but can't open it. The stand alone download from Davis won't run as I already have it in 5.9.2.

I am going to uninstall and reinstall WeatherLink.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »

Yes I have that, but can't open it. The stand alone download from Davis won't run as I already have it in 5.9.2.

It might be really useful, to those trying to help, if you would:

A.  Describe exactly, step by step, what you are doing; and
B.  Describe exactly what error message(s) you get, or what else happens.

I'm sure that "can't open it" and "won't run" are perfectly clear to you, but perhaps not to other folks.

Offline Sunfish

• Contributor
    • moor park weather
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
I need to get the logger into 'VCP mode'.

That's the challenge, or perhaps it's much easier to buy a serial port DL and a second console.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »
Since it is reasonably clear that your problem has been identified is Davis able to help you to physically do the fix?

Paul

Offline Sunfish

• Contributor
    • moor park weather
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »
PaulMy

Now I know that the logger has to be in serial/VCP model, I shall ask Davis for their views and advice.

As WN says, perhaps the converter can't "see" the logger, but despite all tha advice from this forum, something is fundementally wrong.

Thanks.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »
Good that you're going to contact Davis.

As WN says, perhaps the converter can't "see" the logger, but despite all tha advice from this forum, something is fundementally wrong.

WeatherLink can see the logger.  So, I don't think anything is fundamentally "wrong".

If you're properly using the proper converter the converter can see the logger.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:11 PM »
Sunfish,
I hope with Davis' help you can get your data flowing and then I can see the local weather from the other London ;)

Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 10:19:51 PM »
I just want to make sure that you have done the following:

A.  Locate the file CP210xManufacturing.dll  (it's probably in the WeatherLink folder).
B.  Download a fresh copy of http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather/download/CP210X_USB_Serial_Converter_ver2.exe into the same folder.
C.  Hook up the USB logger cable to that PC, if it's not already hooked up.
D.  Make sure that WeatherLink and Cumulus are not running.
E.  Run the .exe that was downloaded (B).  Running it as an administrator wouldn't hurt.
F.  Report here exactly what error messages you get.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »
PaulMy

Now I know that the logger has to be in serial/VCP model, I shall ask Davis for their views and advice.

Thanks.

Well, it's been a bit over 3 days.  Anything to report?

Offline whitenemesis

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 06:04:26 AM »
PaulMy

Thanks.

Well, it's been a bit over 3 days.  Anything to report?

Offline Sunfish

• Contributor
    • moor park weather
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 03:12:07 PM »
Thanks to the advice from this forum, Cumulus is running on my PC.

The answer was to click on the Davis usb/serial driver file and a helpful box then told me how to "convert" USB to Serial.
The WL config box coughed up com port 3 and off I went.

Now I want to install VP Live and sent info to the web.

Thanks, again, to all.

www.moorparkweather.net

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
Thanks to the advice from this forum, Cumulus is running on my PC.

The answer was to click on the Davis usb/serial driver file and a helpful box then told me how to "convert" USB to Serial.
The WL config box coughed up com port 3 and off I went.

Now I want to install VP Live and sent info to the web.

Thanks, again, to all.

www.moorparkweather.net

OK, I'm still a bit confused.  What was it that previously didn't work for you, that now works for you? 

Offline Sunfish

• Contributor
    • moor park weather
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »
dalecoy.

If you remember, I wanted to access third party software, but  could not get out of the USB mode in WL.

The latest WL software has a simple instruction, when I click on the usb to serial driver in the WL program file, it asks me to "press any key" and then confirms that WL is in serial mode. It then instructs me to "press any key to exit".

Then, a com port number appears in the WL set up and I use that com port to complete the Cumulus install.

OK?