Author Topic: WH32EP install  (Read 524 times)

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
WH32EP install
« on: January 02, 2023, 08:24:00 AM »
A question, not taken anything apart yet but does the WH32EP cable unplug at either end to allow feeding through glands for an enclosure. Or do you need to be creative in that respect? thanks in advance =D>
Ecowitt WS90 ׀ GW2000 ׀ WH51 ׀ WH32EP ׀ WH40

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
Re: WH32EP install
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2023, 12:29:00 PM »
I did this about a year ago, I had to disconnect the probe in order to feed it through an enclosure which houses the transmitter section.
I installed the probe inside a Davis 24hr fan aspirated shield.

From memory there are 4 wires which need to be disconnected and re attached inside the white sensor enclosure.

If you get stuck I could try and get photos of what I’ve done.

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 01:27:20 PM »
I did this about a year ago, I had to disconnect the probe in order to feed it through an enclosure which houses the transmitter section.
I installed the probe inside a Davis 24hr fan aspirated shield.

From memory there are 4 wires which need to be disconnected and re attached inside the white sensor enclosure.

If you get stuck I could try and get photos of what I’ve done.

Thanks for the information, I was trying to avoid soldering anything on the board if possible, mainly because I didn't want to breach any kind of coating the board had. Maybe will just have to go with that plan. Some of the boxes have glands which I might be able to DIY in order to get the sensor through but still seal after. Would be nice to do a proper job regardless, have to order a box though since the Wiska branded ones I've got aren't quite big enough, shame as they are IP66 and nicely sealed.

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2023, 04:37:22 PM »
@eliteweathernz - Didn't think to ask at the time but did you use a gland to mount your sensor in the Davis shield, or some other method. My plan is to simulate the mounting type used in the barani shield, using an oversized gland and then the compression when tightening it to secure the WH32EP probe. If that makes sense!

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 02:06:37 PM »
Pictures to follow but I got the WH32EP installed, probe clamped in place by a modified M25 gland, had to increase the internal opening 1-2mm, allowed the probe to pass through without disconnecting any wires. The WH32EP transmitter unit was installed in a Wiska 1010 IP67 housing, this was fitted with a M32 gland, again, allowing probe pass through. I have then added an extra soft rubber grommet, to seal the oversize M32 gland around the cable. Pretty painless once I figured the plan, it was dark when I finished so will partially disassemble for some images in due course. Big fan of the Wiska housings, unique design which isolates internal space from the wall fixings.

Offline wxgran

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 08:37:33 PM »
Pictures to follow but I got the WH32EP installed, probe clamped in place by a modified M25 gland, had to increase the internal opening 1-2mm, allowed the probe to pass through without disconnecting any wires. The WH32EP transmitter unit was installed in a Wiska 1010 IP67 housing, this was fitted with a M32 gland, again, allowing probe pass through. I have then added an extra soft rubber grommet, to seal the oversize M32 gland around the cable. Pretty painless once I figured the plan, it was dark when I finished so will partially disassemble for some images in due course. Big fan of the Wiska housings, unique design which isolates internal space from the wall fixings.

Did you ever take any pictures of your setup? If so, I'd really like to see them!

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 05:37:55 AM »

Did you ever take any pictures of your setup? If so, I'd really like to see them!

I have not taken any of the glands and/or inside of box/shield yet, really should have, will try to get some now weather improving here.

Inspiration came from this https://www.baranidesign.com/faq-articles/2022/8/01/how-to-properly-mount-an-ecowitt-temp-humidity-sensor-inside-the-meteoshield-pro

Attached image courtesy of Barani also, that was how I made mine essentially, just with custom shield as per my post here https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=44756.msg455725#msg455725 I drilled a hole in the bottom of my mount for the gland, then fitted as per the Barani setup.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 05:40:35 AM by Ra1nman »