Author Topic: Upload your Ambient Weather station data to CWOP - ambientcwop.com  (Read 2895 times)

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
Hey all,

I'd like to share the word on a new web-based service I have created.

If you have an Ambient Weather station that is sending to ambientweather.net, and would like to upload your weather observations to CWOP, check it out.

https://ambientcwop.com

This website/service is not affiliated with Ambient Weather or Nielsen-Kellerman
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 07:07:03 AM by danoh »
Ambient Weather station CWOP connector: AmbientCWOP.com

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
Re: Upload your Ambient Weather station data to CWOP - ambientcwop.com
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:24:07 PM »
day 2 , cant login
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
I'll have a password reset method soon.

I replied to your email with a temporary password.

Sorry you forgot your password.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 06:19:19 PM »
Hi I am currently trying to reset my password or even login but there is no tab. My e-mail is adrlnr@yahoo.com and my registration number is  EW8834 from another station I had a few years back which I want to reuse with another station. Please help I can’t login in. This site has no login option.

https://ambientcwop.com/cwop-letter-to-station-owners.php?s=1

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 06:22:22 PM »
Hi I am currently trying to reset my password or even login but there is no tab. My e-mail is adrlnr@yahoo.com and my registration number is  EW8834 from another station I had a few years back which I want to reuse with another station. Please help I can’t login in. This site has no login option.

So you're saying there's not a "login" button at the top? The one right next to the "signup" button?

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 07:33:59 PM »

So you're saying there's not a "login" button at the top? The one right next to the "signup" button?

When I try to login with the old account it won’t let me. I tried to resend an email to reset my password but it never comes. My registration ID is EW8834. If you try to create another account with a different email address yes there is no login option then.

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 07:35:34 PM »
So you have signed up on ambientcwop.com before?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 10:41:03 PM »

When I try to login with the old account it won’t let me. I tried to resend an email to reset my password but it never comes. My registration ID is EW8834.

You don't have an old account on AmbientCWOP.com.  Your EW8834 is from over 3 years ago before AmbientCWOP.com existed.

- You need to create a new account for AmbientCWOP.com...this has nothing to do with EW8834.
- There is no password to reset for AmbientCWOP.com as this is a new service that has only existed for about a month.
- Uploading to CWOP does not require a password. But if you use the AmbientCWOP.com website then you need an account for that.
- AmbientCWOP.com and CWOP are two different things. AmbientCWOP.com is just a helper website to pull data from Ambientweather.net and upload it for you to CWOP for those that do not have any other means to upload to CWOP.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 05:19:03 AM »
He was just really confused.  See the thread on FB.  ](*,)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:24:31 AM by danoh »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 07:52:10 AM »
Yeah, just saw FB.

Makes me wonder if perhaps AmbientCWOP.com should add to the description of what it is and that it is not CWOP itself. I've corrected the following section. Feel free to use this as a guide or suggestion.

What is AmbientCWOP?

If you have a weather station that reports to AmbientWeather.net you can sign up here to use this AmbientCWOP website service to upload your weather observations to CWOP. This website service is not CWOP itself, rather it is just a helper service to get your weather data uploaded to the CWOP APRS network. We recommend that you first have a CWOP ID before signing up for your AmbientCWOP.com account.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:54:51 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 06:09:45 AM »
Update: If you are an amateur radio operator, and use your callsign as your CWOPID, your weather data will now appear on APRS-IS as well.

Offline dow

• Village Idiot in training
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 10:16:52 AM »
danoh: 

First, I'm really glad that you've started this service, and I hope that it all goes well.  I just signed up with it, got my CWOP number, and starting sending data.

One thing about the signup process, though.  The "you gotta read this and accept before continuing" button is easy to overlook if you're not reading ahead before trying to fill out the form.  :grin:
https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/ktxboern48
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »
danoh: 

First, I'm really glad that you've started this service, and I hope that it all goes well.  I just signed up with it, got my CWOP number, and starting sending data.

One thing about the signup process, though.  The "you gotta read this and accept before continuing" button is easy to overlook if you're not reading ahead before trying to fill out the form.  :grin:

You shouldn't be able to even fill out the form until you click and agree.  What browser are you using?  Those fields are disabled until you click that and agree.

Offline dow

• Village Idiot in training
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 01:33:09 PM »
That's how it worked for me.  I just didn't read the "read this" button, and tried to enter data in with three different browsers before I slowed down enough to actually read the "you gotta do this before you can register" stuff. 
https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/ktxboern48
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.

Offline danoh

• AmbientCWOP.com
  • Contributor
    • AmbientCWOP
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 01:36:25 PM »
That's how it worked for me.  I just didn't read the "read this" button, and tried to enter data in with three different browsers before I slowed down enough to actually read the "you gotta do this before you can register" stuff.

Oh I understand now.  Yeah I'll move that upwards to a more conspicuous spot on the signup form.

Offline wegenmaier

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 11:06:56 PM »
Just letting you know I'm back on the air as of this evening. Got back a new Weather Station that appears to emit correct data this time.
Walt / WB4ZUT

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2020, 08:00:47 AM »
Just letting you know I'm back on the air as of this evening. Got back a new Weather Station that appears to emit correct data this time.
Walt / WB4ZUT

If you haven't done so already you need to send an email to CWOP-support at noaa.gov to mention that you would like to become active again. You are currently inactive:
http://wxqa.com/sss/search1.cgi?keyword=WB4ZUT
Tele-Pole

Offline wegenmaier

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »
What is the proper email to let them know?

Offline wegenmaier

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2020, 08:11:59 AM »
OK, I see the email address now...didn't see the "@" symbol at first. I sent email. Thank you for letting me know.
Walt/WB4ZUT

Offline CindiA

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 05:58:49 PM »
Danoh, thank you so much for this site. I signed up and within 20 minutes I’m up and running on CWOP! So grateful to you for making it so easy.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Tele-Pole

Offline CindiA

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 08:46:16 AM »
Thanks for letting me know. I think I finally got it calibrated to KLCK, which is a few miles from us.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 10:33:15 AM »
CindiA,
It still isn't right. You are probably looking at your Relative pressure on your display console and that may match. But for CWOP your Relative pressure is not what is used. When sending data to CWOP what is used is your Absolute pressure in conjuction with your elevation. Therefore it is important that you have set things up correctly with Absolute pressure and your elevation.

Step 1

First is to determine your elevation. I like to use the following website to determine elevation.
https://www.freemaptools.com/elevation-finder.htm

Using that website your elevation is 236 meters. We need to use the metric system for better results. This goes not just for elevation but also for barometric pressure. Your console will be more precise while using metric barometric pressure which is measured in hPa. After calibration if you prefer to see inHg units you can switch back and all calibration settings will stay. So, calibrate with metric and then switch back to Imperial units if you prefer.

We then take the 236 meters and I'm going to add 1 meter to that to account for the fact that your barometric sensor is at least 1 meter off the ground. It is inside of your display console in the WS-2902. You can make adjustments to my estimates if you prefer.

Your total barometric sensor elevation of 237 is entered into the following online calculator to figure out what the difference between your Relative pressure and Absolute pressure should be. Do not change the standad temperature of 15°C nor the standard pressure of 1013.25 hPa as these are required numbers to get a good mean value for your offset.
https://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1224579725

After entering just the 237 meters into the Keisan Casio calculator we hit the execute button and the results show atmospheric pressure of 985.24 hPa. We then subtract that number the standard pressure which is 1013.25.

1013.25 - 985.24 = 28.01

standard pressure (1013.25) - the calculated standard absolute pressure for your elevation = the offset or difference between both pressures.

We have now caluclated that 28.0 hPa is the barometric offset between Relative Pressure and Absolute Pressure.  What this means is that 28.0 hPa is by how much your Relative and Absolute pressure will differ....always! I recommend switching your console to show hPa for pressure to enter this difference in. Don't worry about how much it will mess up your Relative pressure. We will fix that in the next step. What is important is that Whatever shows for Relative Pressure is exactly 28.0 hPa from whatever it shows is Absolute pressure. Essentially we are now giving the display console the information that it needs because 28.0 hPa is indicative of 237 meters of elevation.

That concludes Step 1...which is essentially entering in this offset which tells the console what your elevation is.

Step 2

Now for Step 2 you look to see what is shown for Relative pressure on your display console. You compare that to your local METAR KLCK and/or KTZR. The METAR shows hPa also...so that keeps it in metric..which is good. Before you touch your console again though....all you need to know is how much off you are. If you are say 1.2 hPa too high (just an example as I don't know yet how much you will be off). Then you will not touch the Relative pressure. What you have to do for this last step is to add or remove from the Absolute to affect that amount of change in the Relative pressure. Because we want to maintain the 28.0 hPa offset....so we can never ever touch Relative pressure directly. You must calibrate to the METAR only using the Absolute pressure now that the offset is set.

The bottom line is that CWOP uses your Absolute pressure and that with your elevation is used to calculate Altimeter pressure. This is something that the 3rd party AmbientCWOP site software does and that is what it sends to CWOP.

That concludes Step 2....which is to only touch Absolute pressure to cause the Relative Pressure to move by that amount until Relative Pressure matches the METAR.

When all this is said and done you can keep using the hPa units....or switch back to inHg if you prefer....it won't mess anything up. The biggest reasons for having done all the calibration steps with metric is because of a few reasons; the console internally natively is using metric (less conversions the better), the online calculators are metric, and most importantly the console's precision is more when using metric because you can adjust barometric pressure by 0.1 hPa which is 0.003 inHg and that is a level of precision that you can not adjust when using inHg....as using inHg during calibration only lets you go up or down by 0.01 inHg.  Which means that using inHg if you go ±0.01 inHg then you are not being as precise as you could be....which makes it so that at times you could be off by a full 0.01 inHg due to conversion rounding. The console will track barometric pressure much nicer if you calibrate using the higher precision of hPa. This doesn't mean that hPa is better in every case for everyone. If our consoles allowed you to calibrate to 3 decimal places with inHg then that would have more precision. Some people will say that it doesn't matter because of the accuracy error limitations of the sensor....but in my experience the accuracy of the sensors is understated and for all the other reasons it is better to use the internal units for calibration because regardless error is introduced every time you convert units....so limit the number of conversions.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 02:54:09 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline CindiA

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 11:00:23 AM »
Thank you for that incredible description, galfert! I’m going to re-read this about 5 times and then try to recalibrate again. I’ll let you know when I’ve done it. You’re amazing. Just sayin’.

Offline CindiA

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 04:44:07 PM »
My husband and I are working this out now, but I won’t be putting the info in until tomorrow because we’re in the middle of rain right now. However, a couple of questions:

1. My weather station is 9 ft above ground. So we’ve got a total elevation of 238.75, which comes to a difference off 28.21. This is the difference I need to change in the Absolute pressure, correct?
2. You say the METAR for the airport shows in hPa, but I’m only seeing Hg and mb for pressure. Am I using the Hg?

Thanks for being patient with me. This is a learning experience!

anything