Author Topic: New Ambient Temp Sensor with probe....  (Read 1619 times)

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
New Ambient Temp Sensor with probe....
« on: July 01, 2020, 10:39:20 PM »
Ambient is announcing a new temperature sensor with a probe on it. It's $18.79.

New product announcement. We will have a formal announcement later.

The WH31P works with the WS-2902B, WS-2000, WS-5000. Ideal for refrigerator, freezer, water or soil temperature applications, the water proof probe provides a fast response temperature reading in most mediums.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

https://www.ambientweather.com/amwh31p.html

Looks interesting, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: New Ambient Temp Sensor with probe....
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 02:15:54 AM »

The WH31P works with the WS-2902B, WS-2000, WS-5000. Ideal for refrigerator, freezer, water or soil temperature applications, the water proof probe provides a fast response temperature reading in most mediums.

You can use it for the temp in the freezer, or the temp of the water in a pool or pond.
All temps which are to low or to high or to dangerous for the large part can now be measured also.

Wim
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:18:41 AM by wvdkuil »

Offline kenthcwx

• Contributor
    • Twitter Account
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »

Meant to be used for professional radiation shields like the Davis 7714 or the Meteoshield Pro. You can use it for measuring water, freezer & so on.
Froggit WH4000
MeteoShield Professional
Ecowitt WH32-EP
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WN30
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 11:04:31 AM »
I dont think this is the same as the WH31/32-EP with the SHT35
I think its a variant with the SHT30 on the end of cable. There would be very little point in using this in a high end radiation shield. You might as well just use a normal WH31/32 in the shield and obviously if you can afford the extra go for a WH31-EP or WH32-EP to get the precision.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
Meant to be used for professional radiation shields like the Davis 7714 or the Meteoshield Pro. You can use it for measuring water, freezer & so on.

I thought about that regarding the Davis radiation shield. That would be ideal for me, except for the fact that this temp sensor is only an accessory sensor and doesn't override the main temp sensor on the WS-2000 or 5000. I am using the WH31E for that.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 11:16:52 AM »
I want one of these to read my Koi pond temp..

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »
Dont confuse this with the forthcoming WH34 soil/water temp sensor which is truly IPX rated.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 11:41:18 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline jdt

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 03:55:11 PM »
First time post here. Does anyone know if Ambient will be carrying the new WH31/32-EP with the SHT35 and if so when it might be available. I’m patiently waiting for the WS-5000 to be in stock. Last I was told was end of July. I would like to upgrade it to this new temp/humidity sensor but Ambient always seems way behind Ecowitt on products becoming available.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 04:41:12 PM »
First time post here. Does anyone know if Ambient will be carrying the new WH31/32-EP with the SHT35 and if so when it might be available. I’m patiently waiting for the WS-5000 to be in stock. Last I was told was end of July. I would like to upgrade it to this new temp/humidity sensor but Ambient always seems way behind Ecowitt on products becoming available.

I think there's a lesson buried in your last sentence...

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline jdt

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 05:20:07 PM »

Rich K.

You are probably correct. Unfortunately Ecowitt cannot sell their version of WS-5000 in the US as it’s an Ambient exclusive. I could piece something together but still issues with Ambient having US exclusives on certain components. I just want a simple setup with all data showing on a single display console (I’m old school and love a stand-alone display) and data to WU and ambientweather.net. And if a better temp/hum sensors is available I would like that too. Shouldn’t be to much to ask one would think. lol

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 05:28:08 PM »
I would say that Ambient isn't just behind in getting new Fine Offset stuff...but sometimes they opt to not carry something at all.  Their claim is that they value their customers and they really test everything before they decide to carry it. Even still some products they just pass on because the feel they don't need to carry everything as they only carry what they think they can sell. Although many of us on this forum may be true enthusiasts that would love an SHT35 based temperature/humidity sensor, the truth is that for what makes up the majority of Ambient's customer base, this fancy premium sensor is likely not on the radar of the majority of their customers. It likely isn't on the radar of most of Ecowitt's customers either but it seems like Ecowitt is carving a name for itself to cater to our type of crowd.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 05:31:14 PM »

Rich K.

You are probably correct. Unfortunately Ecowitt cannot sell their version of WS-5000 in the US as it’s an Ambient exclusive. I could piece something together but still issues with Ambient having US exclusives on certain components. I just want a simple setup with all data showing on a single display console (I’m old school and love a stand-alone display) and data to WU and ambientweather.net. And if a better temp/hum sensors is available I would like that too. Shouldn’t be to much to ask one would think. lol

You can have it all that you spelled out. It requires following a special recipe:
- GW1002 from Ecowitt (sell the WS68 or keep as backup)
- HP2551-C from Ecowitt
- Order WS80 part only from Ambient
- Get Ambient WeatherBridge (their Meteobridge with Ambientweather.net license)

Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 04:01:39 AM »
Are you US guys unable to order stuff from Canada and have it shipped over the border?
That would solve your issue as Amazon Canada carries the HP2553
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=ecowitt+hp2553&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Just a thought as in Europe we are used to being able to order from any Amazon store and have it shipped to home.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2020, 09:00:53 AM »
I tried to check out with the HP2553 using the Amazon Canada site and it gave me this message.

Sorry, but this item can't be shipped to your selected address. Learn more. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.

I suppose if you live close to the border you can ship to one of those Amazon lockers. There are also remailing services you can use.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 09:03:11 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jdt

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »
Are you US guys unable to order stuff from Canada and have it shipped over the border?
That would solve your issue as Amazon Canada carries the HP2553
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=ecowitt+hp2553&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Just a thought as in Europe we are used to being able to order from any Amazon store and have it shipped to home.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately just tried it and it won’t work in US. Galfert’s suggestion is probably the only option. It’s much more expensive that way, probably reaching the cost of a VP2 w/ FARS and that’s before adding a MeteoShield Pro which I’d want for the new WH31-EP. The only advantage is I can spread the cost by adding on over time. I’m not a fan of Ambient getting exclusive rights when they can’t seem to bring items readily to market in a timely manner compared to the other sellers.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 10:00:02 AM »
Bummer!....
Seems so odd that the home of capitalism and the land of the free (July 4th Pun) should be so market restricted!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
Well I think capitalism is working just right in this situation. Ambient has secured exclusive selling rights for the WS80 sensor in the US. Ecowitt can't sell it (WS80) in the US because they are Fine Offset. They are one and the same company (same people, just a subsidiary). Ambient buys product from Fine Offset (for 20 years or so I'm guessing). Then one day Ecowitt is a new direct branding name from Fine Offset and they start selling worldwide. Then Ambient gets rightly so upset because their supplier Fine Offset is undercutting them and directly competing with them with the Ecowitt brand which really is in name only as this is Fine Offset. So Ambient gets upset and lays out a bunch of demands and maybe even threatens legal action. It is all discussed privately and we don't know how ugly it got or not. But we know the outcome. The two companies settled on giving Ambient exclusiveness to the WS80 in the US. Fine Offset doesn't want to lose Ambient as their customer. Ecowitt is not at a brand name recognition [yet] to pull in all the lost sales that would happen if Fine Offset decided to become a sole distributor and seller through Ecowitt. Fine Offset needs Ambient...for now as Ambient is likely their biggest customer. Ambient is so big and they work with Fine Offset so closely that they are more like business partners.

Exclusive rights is something that happens in capitalism even when their isn't this strange situation with Ambient, Fine Offset and Ecowitt. Take a look at Apple and AT&T and how for years when the iPhone launched it was an exclusive to AT&T. That is something that was negotiated and AT&T paid for that right. Apple made money in that deal. And you could say AT&T benefited too from all the iPhone sales.

I will say though that by Fine Offset launching the Ecowitt brand they have thrown a wrench into the Fine Offset original business model of just being a manufacturer. Ambient has the pull and power to negotiate the WS80 exclusive. But Misol and Froggit and others don't seem to be benefiting from Ecowitt existing. So Fine Offset is cannibalizing its resellers. In some years if Misol and Froggit still exist I predict that they won't be selling Fine Offset stuff. Ambient doesn't need to worry because they are now part of Nielsen Kellerman and Rainwise and we could very soon start to see some Rainwise stuff with Ambient co-branding and this could be an exit strategy for Ambient as far as Fine Offset products are concerned. But you never know...maybe Ambient and Fine Offset keep the relationship going and keep the exclusive product deals beyond just the WS80.

Don't forget that capitalism isn't just companies doing whatever they want. The consumer has power with their wallet and deciding where to take their business. Also any gaps or shortfalls towards the consumer by any business arrangements becomes an opportunity for a new company. And government plays a role in rules and regulations and monopolies and safety and environment ...etc.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:35:19 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 10:58:23 AM »
Bummer!....
Seems so odd that the home of capitalism and the land of the free (July 4th Pun) should be so market restricted!

In addition or simplifying what Galfert said, its simply a vendor / manufacturer agreement. Not a government one.

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 12:40:56 PM »
I know...you are all quite right!
I was being contentious...

It is only fair and reasonable that AW protect their business and I have no problem with that and i am sure that any agreements between FO and AW must be amicable.
Please anyone don't take it the wrong way I was only poking fun as I often do at my friends and colleagues in the US on or around Independence day.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »
I know...you are all quite right!
I was being contentious...

It is only fair and reasonable that AW protect their business and I have no problem with that and i am sure that any agreements between FO and AW must be amicable.
Please anyone don't take it the wrong way I was only poking fun as I often do at my friends and colleagues in the US on or around Independence day.

Hey its all good, I understand. When is Brexit day again? :)
OK all kidding aside I know that was way off topic ... peace and humor

Scott

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 01:58:16 PM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 03:58:42 PM »
Yes, that's OK. People here in the U.S. are shocked by (and join in the fun complaining about) what the Brits call "Postal Farce" and a U.K. customs process that, when it chooses your incoming package to inspect, can delay it for weeks and then adds insult to injury by charging you a hefty fee for doing the inspection that delayed your shipment. Amazing...  :-)
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 05:55:20 AM »
All fair points and you are quite right about the customs lottery!

Anyhoo, lets get back on topic.
I am hoping to receive a WH54 soil and water temp set in the coming weeks and will naturally share my observations with the forum.
(assuming its not stopped in customs!)
:-)
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)