Author Topic: WU iOS app - can not login + ad-free subscription  (Read 4410 times)

Offline graffixx

WU iOS app - can not login + ad-free subscription
« on: July 03, 2019, 01:47:44 PM »
iPhone XS Max - iOS 12.3.1
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 12.3.1
WU iOS app - 5.12.0

For some reason, I can not log into the iOS app, both on my iPhone+iPad.  I get the "Unable to verify your membership with that email and/or password" error message (see attachments).  With the same login, I can log into the website just fine.

I recently paid for an annual ad-free subscription on the iPhone.  I get no ads on the iPhone...great.....but I can not login!
According to The Weather Channel/WU own website --  whereby logging into the iPhone will backup my subscription, which will then allow me to log into my iPad to get the ad-free experience there too, regardless of platform (iOS, Android, etc.).

By subscribing to an ad-free experience in our mobile apps, you can take the subscription across all our mobile apps (WU weather app, Storm app etc) regardless of platform (iOS, Android). 

In order to backup, restore, and carry the subscription to all WU apps regardless of platform, you need to register for a WU ID from within the app you made your purchase.  This creates a backup of the purchase record in our database so that you can use the WU ID to log into other apps to get ad-free.  I could careless about getting ad-free on other devices.  If I need to replace my iPhone a week from now, I'd lose this annual ad-free subscription.

Backing up your subscription
WU Weather app:  on the device that you first purchased the subscription, open app > tap on Settings (gear icon) > Sign-in > Register or login for WU Account.  After successfully registering or logging in, our database will have a backup of your purchase.

If you've backed up your subscription with the steps above, you can login with your WU ID and you'll remove the ads.

I've got 2 different support tickets with TWC/WU, first with the login, then again after paying for the ad-free subscription, and it has been well over 2 months, dealing with someone named "Victoria" has gone no where.  I'm being told repeatedly to contact Apple. 

Here are some of her replies:

The iPhone’s no-ad system and the web’s no-ad system are completely separate. If you’re having trouble with your iPhone’s paid subscription, you need to talk to Apple. We don’t have access to that information.

..and this after requesting to escalate to a technical support person, I get:

I AM the technical person.
The iPhone’s WU app’s log in is completely separate from the WU web site log in. If you are having trouble logging in to the WU app on your iPhone we do not have any access whatsoever to your login information or payments. Only Apple has access to that.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: WU iOS app - can not login + ad-free subscription
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 02:52:35 PM »
Bad news...if Victoria can't fix it, it probably can't be fixed.  She's about the only person at IBM who is able to do anything regarding WU.

You should probably get your $ back from Apple.

Offline graffixx

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 06:58:44 PM »
Victoria's comments don't make any sense to me.  It's like downloading any apps, like Amazon or Google Maps, and if the login does not work, I'd have to contact Apple?
Is anyone else having login issues with the WU iOS app at all?

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 08:48:53 PM »
Not I squeaked the little popcorn vender ;)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »
I just logged in with my iPhone with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 12:29:11 AM »
I get what Victoria is saying, but I’m confused through whose system you made the ad-free purchase.

I don’t understand why you would have to “back up” your purchase, either.  I just log in from whatever and wherever, and I’m ad-free.  It shouldn’t have anything to with an iOS app specifically.

Weird.  Can you log in to your wunderground account from some other device through a web browser?  If so, what does it say about your subscription status?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 01:13:55 AM »
I just signed out and pretended like I was going to purchase the ad-free option.

It sent me to Apple’s system to purchase a subscription for $1.99 for a year.

It sounds like after you make the purchase, you’re supposed to create a wunderground account, then enter the  login information through the app, then the app tells wunderground you’ve paid.

Once wunderground knows you’ve paid, it should be ad-free from anywhere for the next year.

That seems really odd and confusing.  It seems like it would be more normal to create a wunderground account through the app, THEN upgrade to an ad-free account.

Maybe that scheme is incompatible with their legacy systems?

Offline Weatherwx85

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »
I have the same problem, new WU account too, could be related to that as I signed up after the migration so could just be broken like most other things are currently :) The replies you have are rubbish though, if you are not able to login to the App that’s not an Apple problem.

Offline aidano101

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 12:00:41 PM »
Victoria's comments don't make any sense to me.  It's like downloading any apps, like Amazon or Google Maps, and if the login does not work, I'd have to contact Apple?

I also cannot log in to the app using my WUnderground account (which I set up on the website only in the last day or so).

As someone who has implemented subscription functionality on iOS apps, it looks like you're getting the runaround from their support person, unfortunately. You'd only need to contact Apple if you're having a problem with the process of subscribing in the app (which uses your Apple account), or if you want a refund (which, incidentally, they'd provide without much trouble since you're getting the runaround).

In addition, the limitations on Apple's side as described in this page (https://feedback.weather.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2923679-how-do-i-restore-my-mobile-ad-free-subscription-?b_id=17298) are completely false. It looks like they've chosen not to implement a 'Restore purchases' function in either the iPhone or iPad app, which is designed precisely for this scenario, and not doing so is a violation of Apple's requirements for supporting subscriptions in their apps. I have no idea how they got approved, and if you reached out to Apple, they'll at least reject future updates of the app until WU include this function, and would certainly provide you with a complete refund of your subscription.

I can only suggest that in the app, you sign in with a brand new account (which requires a different email unfortunately). Then sign in on both devices. Not great, but I can't think of anything else.

Offline aidano101

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »
Oh, one other suggestion. Just try paying for a subscription again on your iPad. As long as you're using the same Apple ID on that device, Apple won't charge you twice for the same subscription on the same account.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 02:55:14 PM »
I am pretty sure that since IBM already has the "Weather Channel" app out there for both iOS and Android that the WU app is getting even less attention than the WU website is.

Offline FreeWeather

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
Hi, I'm having the same problem and, even with the new IOS 12.4, it is impossible to login my WU account...

anything