Author Topic: Davis Pro2 data reporting question  (Read 35634 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Davis Pro2 data reporting question
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2011, 09:51:10 AM »
Notes:  No data at all yesterday.  Data flow started again about 2:00 AM today (Wednesday September 21)  ...and quit at around 1:15 PM.

Started again around 1:30 PM Thursday September 22 and quit approximately 7:00 PM.

Started again around 6:45 AM Friday September 23 and seems to have quit approximately 12:30 PM
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:57:26 PM by dalecoy »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2011, 10:47:33 PM »
...  Connecting to the internet is not a problem for any wireless device I use, including pc's, tablets, and Kindles.  

I'm also guessing that your wife may have some wireless devices.  Is there any correlation between any use of any wireless devices (which would include things like iPods, perhaps games (Wii, etc.?) -- and any of the times mentioned for the WMIP starting or stopping?

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2011, 05:34:07 PM »
I just received and installed the new Pro2 console at 4:25 PM this afternoon.  Data had not been uploaded and posted at WU or Weatherlink for several hours prior to that time.  Immediately upon powering up the new console, I checked with WU and Weatherlink and both had current data posted that showed it had been received within the past 3 minutes.  As far as any other wireless devices in the home, I checked with my wife and she said she had used her laptop this week but had not turned on the Ipad all week, which is the only wireless device other than my desktop and Pro2.  I will keep checking and advise.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:36:49 PM by wmcatty »
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2011, 05:40:27 PM »
Thanks for inquiring about other devices - I didn't think that was a "cause" (and it should not have been), but we had a good set of on/off times, so I thought I would ask.

I'm hopeful that the new console causes everything to be "as it should be".

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
I appreciate all the data monitoring this week.  I was out of town and could not do anything but monitor the outages as well.  I am praying that the new console solves the problem as well.
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2011, 10:37:13 PM »
5 hours and counting...everything is looking great!  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2011, 10:44:03 PM »
We "know" it's not the software, because of the tests you did last week.  But I would feel really good if you only sparingly used WL and VWS for the next day or two.

Holding my breath ....   8-)

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2011, 10:53:56 PM »
I will do that and see what happens as well.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »
Looks like it quit again.

Next question: do you have the instruction book for your Westel Router?

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
I did not really myself think it would be the console that would be at fault
(but stranger things have happened I guess, so worth a try)
I personally think it all points to the router blocking the data (for what ever reason)
and so I would try a different router
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2011, 10:21:59 AM »
I had my doubts also, but we had already eliminated all of the simple/obvious things, and we're down to the "one change at a time" stage. 

Data flow re-started around 4:00 AM, presumably without any human intervention.

I believe that we have eliminated (by substitution, etc.) any hardware and software on the home side of the router.  The only remaining things that we can touch are the router itself, the router setup (including giving the WLIP a static IP address), and the wiring between the router and the external telephone system.  The latter is highly unlikely to be the problem.

I invite comments from the community, as to whether I've missed something.

Wmcatty, my preference would be to follow Weather Display's suggestion to replace the router.  That would mean you telling your ISP all that we have done and persuading your ISP that sending you a replacement router is what they should do. 

However, I'm willing to try telling you how to log into the router and go through the procedure of giving the WLIP a static IP address. 

It's your call.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
From the help-pages I found (skimmed) earlier, I am still not clear if that router is integrated into the modem.  While it would take all other devices off-line while you test, is it possible to bypass the router and connect directly to the modem, letting your device take the DHCP assignment?  Just until it fails again (or not, after a comfortable time).

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
From the help-pages I found (skimmed) earlier, I am still not clear if that router is integrated into the modem.  While it would take all other devices off-line while you test, is it possible to bypass the router and connect directly to the modem, letting your device take the DHCP assignment?  Just until it fails again (or not, after a comfortable time).

I suspect it's a single, integrated box.  Obviously, Wmcatty can tell us.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2011, 12:22:22 PM »
Those integrated boxes can be a PITA.  I have a Seimens box where I now only use the modem and have a decent router (Buffalo) doing the heavy lifting.  There is a reason the telcos give them for free...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
I use a Belkin Router, connected to a Belkin modem
works great, I personally recommend Belkin
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
Good afternoon fellas.  Sorry it took me so long to to get back online, however, the drought has now forced me to sell off most of my cows and today was a multiple trip day to the salebarn.  I got up at about 3:30 AM today and checked in with my weatherpage at Weatherlink.  The data had stopped flowing upstream to the site at 10:10 PM last night.  Not knowing what else to do, I reset the router (power down, then power on).  After a few moments, the data was current on Weatherlink.  I have not had much of a chance to do much else than jack with cows today, but when I got to the house at about 3:00 PM this afternoon, my wife told me the internet was "down".  I looked at the router and the power led was constant, the ethernet led was flashing, the wireless led was constant and the internet led was not on nor flashing.  I powered down again and re powered a few moments later.  I called my telephone company tech support and gave them the same story I gave them the week before last, at which time I was told the router was working and they had assigned it an IP address.  Today, the genius at Centurylink kept me on hold for over 90% of the 1 hour and ten minutes while he was checking this, checking that, checking data download/upload speeds, etc.  The final analysis from them is that the router is working fine since data can be transmitted without interruption to my pc software...the "problem" is the servers at Davis!  And if I wanted to exchange the router, I had to bring it into one of their Centurylink stores next week.  I opted not to accept this solution, as the store is about 160 miles from my home.
Now, the router at my home is is a Westell A-90 integrated modem/router...very cheap (and poorly constructed) according to various websites.  Since it MUST be the router causing  my problems, could you all recommend what particular modem/router/wireless combo I should pick up tomorrow...and from what source, ie, WalMart, Office Depot, etc.  Please remember that computer supply stores are very limited in my 50 mile radius.  I have another Zwire router that was recently replaced at my office, however, it is a combo router/modem and probably not much better than the Westell (both free from the various phone companies).
I will do whatever it takes to fix the problem, and most of you have now zeroed in on the router itself as being the problem since both the console and data logger have been replaced by Davis within the past week.  Just tell me what to do and it will be done!  And Dalecoy, I will need to take you up on your offer to help me with setting up a static IP for the WLIP.  Your help and patience is appreciated.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »
You're going to get a lot of recommendations for what's the best router, etc.  It happens that I use a Motorola DSL modem, and otherwise (router, etc.) generally use Linksys (Cisco) equipment.

If you want to try setting a static IP for the WLIP with your current A90, we can try that.  Did an instruction manual come with it?  Otherwise, I would like you to look all over the device for more numbers.  I'm guessing you'll find "versalink" and/or "7500" on it somewhere, but that's just a guess.

[Note: there are TWO ways of getting a static IP for the WLIP.  The way I prefer, at this point, is to tell the router to always assign the same IP when this WLIP asks for one]

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »
  I looked at the router and the power led was constant, the ethernet led was flashing, the wireless led was constant and the internet led was not on nor flashing.  I powered down again and re powered a few moments later. 

I presume you're saying you power-cycled the A90?

That set of symptoms (internet led not on) indicates a problem with the Centurylink service.  Have you noticed this before?  If it happens again, I recommend not power-cycling the A90, and just calling tech support.  Of course, the first thing they will do is tell you to power-cycle it, but that establishes a track record.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
A90 7500 is what is printed on the bottom.  The router was installed by the telephone company when they hooked up my telephone/DSL lines in early July.  No books, manuals or instructions came with the install.  After encountering the problem today with the lack of internet connection on the router LED itself, I think I may be better served to buy a quality replacement modem/router.  Should I be looking at an integrated unit or separate components?  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:41:09 PM by wmcatty »

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »
Yes, power-cycled is what I did.  Immediately after the router rebooted itself, all was well with the internet connection and my wife was able to connect.  She said the "internet was off" for several hours and after I power-cycled the unit all was back to where it should have been within 45 seconds of that action.  This was the first time I had encountered that problem, but also the first time I have not had internet service in the past 3 months (since getting DSL service in my area).  I do not know if this is important (or will help with the analysis), but I have been using a pretty cheap extension cord from the wall socket to electrify both the router and the console...until today.  My wife went out this morning and picked up a battery backup unit with surge surpressor, which I installed after I power-cycled the router.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:38:20 PM by wmcatty »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
A90 7500 is what is printed on the bottom.  After encountering the problem today with the lack of internet connection on the router LED itself, I think I may be better served to buy a quality replacement modem/router.  Should I be looking at an integrated unit or separate components?  

Let's talk about the "modem" part first.  The bottom line is that - if you do not have a modem that is approved by your ISP, then any problems are your responsibility to fix.  (i.e., "not supported")

So, as a practical matter, you will need to call CenturyLink and ask what they approve and where you might get one in your neighborhood.

If you can get just a plain modem (single port), that would be nice - but I doubt they have one.  If not, the only thing they will have is a combination modem/router.  Your choice then will be whether to get one with wireless, or without wireless. 

If you get one without wireless, then you also buy your choice of wireless routers to hook to it.  That's a bit more complicated to set up, but also means that more things are under your control.

Yeah, I know it's complicated.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2011, 10:14:57 PM »
A90 7500 is what is printed on the bottom.  The router was installed by the telephone company when they hooked up my telephone/DSL lines in early July.  No books, manuals or instructions came with the install.  After encountering the problem today with the lack of internet connection on the router LED itself, I think I may be better served to buy a quality replacement modem/router.  Should I be looking at an integrated unit or separate components?  

I think this is the manual for your modem/router.  It's in .pdf format.  Please download it and see if it matches what the box looks like.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2011, 11:36:08 PM »
No attachments were appendaged.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO

Offline JACK10562

• Forecaster
  • DW5051
    • DW5051 East Harwich MA
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »
Quick question: is the router Time-out enable checked, turning OFF the DSL connection itself with "inactivity"?

Lastly, assigning a static IP to the WLIP datalogger itself appears to be one of the few things yet to be tried.

It's been a while since I used WLIP myself, but if I recall, the easiest method to do this is to open a browser window and type in the the LAN IP address the router has already assigned to the WLIP. Once there, a page will display where one can assign a static address. Assign it an address outside the router's DHCP  range limits.

Another method is to assign the WLIP datalogger it's static IP address from within the router configuration pages. I am unfamiliar with your hardware, so a trip to the user manual should give needed direction.

Intermittent "connection" and data distribution issues I had experienced with WeatherlinkIP and Davis's site led me to install a serial datalogger in the console and leave my computer on 24/7 in order to update CWOP, WU, PWS and WeatherBug. It's been rock-solid ever since. Best move I ever made.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:09:08 AM by JACK10562 »
CWOP:DW5051
MADIS ID:D5051
WU:KMAEASTH4
CoCoRaHS:MA-BA-23
DavisVantagePro2Plus#6163
Cumulus 1.9.4(1097)←☼

anything