Author Topic: Near-sighted webcams - The Hubble Fix  (Read 90464 times)

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
Re: Near-sighted webcams - The Hubble Fix
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 11:20:46 PM »
In Logitech software leave Auto Focus OFF- set to infinity.  Advanced settings: turn anti flicker off. Taking your horizon down to less than 30% or so, if you want more cloud details seems to cause better response. A 50/50 'dark' / light field of view doesn't seem to be overall as crisp as a 70-30 ratio, if you follow me. Maybe it's just my setups and personal preferences,  however...(brightness/contrast response) Play with the settings, turning 'autos' off, etc.  

Cutty - You are correct. I am running 70/30 but the 70 is of the ground and 30 is sky. I have noticed the camera focuses and adjusts brightness to the larger area. In MY case, the sky always "washes out" because it has too much light gain. I am experimenting with a HD Polarizer lens right now. Before and after pics will come in a couple of days.

BTW - I removed the old drivers and downloaded the latest for the Loggie C920. It now works MUCH better when driving Webcam 7.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/WebCam/Webcam-7.shtml  (FREE)

Finally - for those wishing to dedicate a computer 24/7 without the hassle of auto-shutdown, here is a free program that prevents the computer from rebooting. (You will have to click on a balloon to do it!)

http://shutdownguard.en.softonic.com/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 11:22:44 PM by Papa_Smoke »
"Just an Old-fashioned Love Song"

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37:01 AM »
In Logitech software leave Auto Focus OFF- set to infinity.  Advanced settings: turn anti flicker off. Taking your horizon down to less than 30% or so, if you want more cloud details seems to cause better response. A 50/50 'dark' / light field of view doesn't seem to be overall as crisp as a 70-30 ratio, if you follow me. Maybe it's just my setups and personal preferences,  however...(brightness/contrast response) Play with the settings, turning 'autos' off, etc. 
Cutty - You are correct. I am running 70/30 but the 70 is of the ground and 30 is sky. I have noticed the camera focuses and adjusts brightness to the larger area. In MY case, the sky always "washes out" because it has too much light gain. I am experimenting with a HD Polarizer lens right now.
Which is why your sky washes out. It's an 'averaging'. After you have played with the advanced settings, you'll note the camera will begin to respond a bit differently, when you return to 'right-light' and 'auto'. I had no noticeable effect playing with either linear or circular polarized filters. The 'wash-out' is much more pronounced when looking south. (one reason, besides my location, that mine are aimed 'northerly'.) We just have to learn to accept some stuff, especially as lighting changes throughout the day.
BTW - I removed the old drivers and downloaded the latest for the Loggie C920. It now works MUCH better when driving Webcam 7.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/WebCam/Webcam-7.shtml  (FREE)
get the Loggie software from http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/5798?osid=14&bit=64
Finally - for those wishing to dedicate a computer 24/7 without the hassle of auto-shutdown, here is a free program that prevents the computer from rebooting. (You will have to click on a balloon to do it!)
http://shutdownguard.en.softonic.com/
Sometimes it needs to shut-down and reboot. Updates, faults, etc need to go back through a 'restart' phase to change registry, clean memory, etc. What do you do when you're away?  You may need to restart. Set you're power settings to restart after power-fail. Set appropriate software programs to start with windows. Finally, you need a static IP address for any cameras if you're serving real-time, as I am, (not uploading stills and data - not necessary) or other. Make sure your router is providing static address for devices also and port forwarding is setup for your gizmos. If your IP doesn't provide a static address for your connection, get something like "DNS2Go" http://www.dns2go.com/ . Then you need something secure like VNC (not the free version) to connect remotely to your weatherPC, so you can twiddle with your programs, if need be - and 'need will be' at some point!. Until I retired, Real VNC Enterprise enabled me to quickly reset any issues remotely. http://www.realvnc.com/Issues will happen, especially during electrical storms. Let the pc "fix" itself if at all possible! Both of you will be happier in the long run.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2013, 07:41:00 AM »
Ain't This Fun? :lol:

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2013, 08:13:37 AM »
Ain't This Fun? :lol:

Let me think about it..... NO?! LOL  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Turned Anti Flicker OFF

Focus is now set for infinity...

Going to work in a few minutes, you can see the most recent view here http://buckeyeweather.blogspot.com/p/in-cambridge.html

Will get on roof this afternoon when home from work and adjust camera view more towards ground... it appears to be about 50/50 right now.

Don in Ohio

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »
Looking pretty darn good, Don!  You appear to be looking about NNE?  If you'll set your lower three advanced settings (brite, contrast, color) through the WC backdoor, for best in clear skies, late afternoon, and watch 'em over time, tweaking 'em in same general conditions... you'll have that thingy humming along satisfactorily in a few days. The more you go toward 'darker' ground, though, the more your sky will wash out, especially on cloudy conditions... kinda cool what we can do on the low end of the price tag, ain't it?

Wonder how many purist and hi-end users are shaking their heads at our attempts to adapt indoor-designed webcams to match-up with their wonderful equipment? sigh... those of us that have more time than money have to take the low road, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:22:36 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
Looing pretty darn good, Don!  You appear to be looking about NNE?  If you'll set your lower three advanced settings (brite, contrast, color) through the WC backdoor, for best in clear skies, late afternoon, and watch 'em over time, tweaking 'em in same general conditions... you'll have that thingy humming along satisfactorily in a few days. The more you go toward 'darker' ground, though, the more your sky will wash out, especially on cloudy conditions... kinda cool what we can do on the low end of the price tag, ain't it?

Wonder how many purist and hi-end users are shaking their heads at our attempts to adapt indoor-designed webcams to match-up with their wonderful equipment? sigh... those of us that have more time than money have to take the low road, unfortunately.

Ah....but we ARE doing it and I must say, the results are increasingly impressive! 

Don - LOOKING GOOD!

Cutty - Yeah - I just HAD to try the polarizer! I should have known you have been there and done that! LOL Ah, well, the one I bought just happens to fit my next photo camera. ;-)

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
[/url][/quote]Sometimes it needs to shut-down and reboot. Updates, faults, etc need to go back through a 'restart' phase to change registry, clean memory, etc. What do you do when you're away?  You may need to restart. Set you're power settings to restart after power-fail. Set appropriate software programs to start with windows. Finally, you need a static IP address for any cameras if you're serving real-time, as I am, (not uploading stills and data - not necessary) or other. Make sure your router is providing static address for devices also and port forwarding is setup for your gizmos. If your IP doesn't provide a static address for your connection, get something like "DNS2Go" http://www.dns2go.com/ . Then you need something secure like VNC (not the free version) to connect remotely to your weatherPC, so you can twiddle with your programs, if need be - and 'need will be' at some point!. Until I retired, Real VNC Enterprise enabled me to quickly reset any issues remotely. http://www.realvnc.com/Issues will happen, especially during electrical storms. Let the pc "fix" itself if at all possible! Both of you will be happier in the long run.
[/quote]

I do a nightly shutdown - manually - just before bed time. Gone? What does that mean? I work online from home. Actually, shutdown guard can be turned on and off with a click. (I am just being lazy though. Didn't feel like resetting everything yet. I will get there though. Right now, I am trying to build my website using Blue Voda. )   *SIGH*

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 01:47:33 PM »
Boy I really hate to jinx myself, but got home, checked my web camera and found this... how's this look to you?  \:D/

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »
Boy I really hate to jinx myself, but got home, checked my web camera and found this... how's this look to you?  \:D/

That is just TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE!!!  ;) BEAUTIFUL!! I guess the cam is learning. In TV we call it burn in.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
See? Now you also have a high end camera...  =D>

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2013, 03:57:34 PM »
...and that's still at 800x448px!

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2013, 06:29:33 PM »
Hi Cutty... Yes that's still at 800X448. The guy who owns the server for my uploads gets kind of antsy if I upload a lot. He says it bogs his system down. Not sure what that all means, but OK, lol.

When you said try a 70/30 ratio (sky / ground) did you mean 70% of the camera of the sky and 30% on the ground? I think you did. If so I may adjust it up a bit later.

Don in Ohio

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »
*** BULLETIN ***

Look here!! It's a 6:25 p.m. image and look how sharp those trees and buildings and everything look.  :lol: Kudos to you, Cutty, for the genius idea!!  =D> And yes, to answer your earlier question, the camera is pointing almost due north.

Don in Ohio

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2013, 06:34:16 PM »
I am running 800 x 448 too. The old computer begins to glitch the picture if I go to a higher res. I even dropped to16 colors instead of 32. THAT helped. I took the polarizer out of the equation since I can get the same thing by tweaking gain & brightness.

Actually - this IS kind of fun. Kind of.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2013, 06:36:16 PM »
Hi Papa... Yes it is kinda fun. Never too old or too late to learn something new, right? Do you have a location you can share that we can view your web camera?

Don in Ohio

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
The real telling points are the white minivan upper left, the birdbath front center and the power transformer back center!
 ;)
Both you guys need websites: I think Papa's going through labor pains with his right now.

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »
Don in Ohio - Sorry. Not yet. I don't have a host yet since the BOSS reminded me we are saving for a big vacation. After THAT, I will be finding a good host who will tolerate weather and images every second or two. I am in Darke County, Ohio, on the Indiana border and north west of Dayton.

Offline Papa_Smoke

• Obscurum per Obscurius
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »
The real telling points are the white minivan upper left, the birdbath front center and the power transformer back center!
 ;)
Both you guys need websites: I think Papa's going through labor pains with his right now.

I am. I am building the website with a couple of programs here at the house. IF I ever get this stuff figured out, I will be going live.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
I could not locate any -2 diopters except from Japan. Does anyone have a link that carries these in the US?

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
I could not locate any -2 diopters except from Japan. Does anyone have a link that carries these in the US?

Perhaps Adorama has some?  At least there is a couple on their website like this ..
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 08:02:39 PM by DanS »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2013, 08:11:13 PM »
That's impressive Don. Looks a heck of lot better.

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:53 PM »
I just ordered the -2. Thanks for the links!

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
Ocala... Thanks!!

Cutty... www.ohiowx.com Click the In Cambridge link for the most recent web camera view as well as WU updates from my RW III Oracle unit...

Papa... Darke County? Sweet! I'm in Guernsey County on I-70 other side of the state. Ever need any assistance let me know. I'll try my best!!

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »
Cutty... www.ohiowx.com Click the In Cambridge link for the most recent web camera view as well as WU updates from my RW III Oracle unit...
Oops... I knew that... duh.

anything