Author Topic: WeatherLink.com intervals uploading to WU, CWOP, Globe  (Read 6078 times)

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
WeatherLink.com intervals uploading to WU, CWOP, Globe
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:59:16 PM »
The WeatherLink Network (WeatherLink.com) has a feature described this way:

Automatically upload data to third-party weather sites including CWOP (Citizen Weather Observer Program), Weather Underground, the GLOBE Program, and more.

I have not been able to find Davis Documentation telling how often these uploads are done.

It is my assumption that:
1.  The uploads are done every 15 minutes.
2.  There is no way that a subscriber (user) can change that.

I don't currently use the WeatherLink Network - but might want to do so in the future.  However, those specifications might be important in my decision.

I would appreciate verification or correction of those assumptions, which of course will document it in this forum for future reference.

Of course, I could contact Davis and ask.............

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: WeatherLink.com intervals uploading to WU, CWOP, Globe
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:10:39 PM »
If #1 and/or #2 would be true, both deal breakers for me. No contest.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:46:29 PM »
I was trying to figure that out last week when some acu-link.com were having similar problems as weatherlink.com users getting information to wunderground.

I got nowhere, but I do wonder if wunderground imposes a 15-minute update interval on bulk-data feeders.  Or maybe it's just coincidence.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 03:07:50 AM »
I have not been able to find Davis Documentation telling how often these uploads are done.

I'm not aware of any Davis documentation that discloses this publicly. But in practical terms, the user can obviously only control those parameters that can be accessed via the wl.com web interface pages and there are no settings to control forwarding frequency to third-party website targets. So the only available upload times are the default ones.

It's difficult to see how WLIP, for example, is ever likely to be able to support WURF, at least not without a major firmware upgrade. WLIP uploads its current conditions data to wl.com every minute (as documented by Davis) which wouldn't chime with my definition of RF, though I guess some users might still prefer every minute or every 5 minutes to the 15-minute interval.

It's worth remembering that wl.com caters for uploads from all of WLIP, WL subscriptions and Connect sources and so eg a Connect even on a 5-min plan is never going to deliver RF data. But the point is that different data sources can have different upload characteristics.

Finally, wl.com has had only incremental enhancements over the past 2-3 years - the focus seems to have been on backstage improvements to make the service as robust as possible while scaling up to a load of 20,000 users and more. As far as I can judge, this seems to have been done pretty successfully. But I'm sure there will come a time, hopefully in the relatively near future, when the development attention will switch to the service itself and the range of features on offer will be extended.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 06:40:06 AM »
Does anyone have any hard numbers? Some numbers being kicked around 5 and 15 minutes but no clarification, " So the only available upload times are the default ones." What are the default times?
Mainly looking at WU and CWOP upload times.  Can any of the upload times be adjusted beyond the default, example 15 minutes changed to 5 minutes or are they all static with no adjustment.
We are looking for answers concerning another issue so need some clarification on weatherlink .com.

Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 07:25:03 AM »
Can any of the upload times be adjusted beyond the default, example 15 minutes changed to 5 minutes or are they all static with no adjustment.

Please read my previous answer. To repeat: At present there is no option currently provided to vary the default times. What may happen when the next iteration of wl.com is released could obviously offer more flexibility, potentially.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 08:26:59 AM »
Can any of the upload times be adjusted beyond the default, example 15 minutes changed to 5 minutes or are they all static with no adjustment.

Please read my previous answer. To repeat: At present there is no option currently provided to vary the default times. What may happen when the next iteration of wl.com is released could obviously offer more flexibility, potentially.

So default times are still a mystery, but we do know they can't be changed according to you.
Yesterday we had a member move CWOP from 15 to 5 minute uploads, I saw it myself so how is also a mystery.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
Today I just checked again and his CWOP times are back down to 15 minutes. So maybe what I thought got changed to 5 minutes didn't actually happen.  #-o
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »
Today I just checked again and his CWOP times are back down to 15 minutes. So maybe what I thought got changed to 5 minutes didn't actually happen.  #-o

If you're feeling sceptical, take a look at the attached image, which shows the relevant page on the wl.com web interface. I can't see any settings there that allow the interval to be changed and there are no submenus that only show if an upload is selected. The available settings really are pretty straightforward, so I'm dubious if there was any apparent change in the interval. It might conceivably be Davis doing some development work on the default settings of course, but I can't see that there's anything user-definable.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 09:15:24 AM »

If you're feeling sceptical, take a look at the attached image, which shows the relevant page on the wl.com web interface. I can't see any settings there that allow the interval to be changed and there are no submenus that only show if an upload is selected. The available settings really are pretty straightforward, so I'm dubious if there was any apparent change in the interval. It might conceivably be Davis doing some development work on the default settings of course, but I can't see that there's anything user-definable.

That clears that up. I sent a PM to dig a little deeper on how it was done. It may of been one of those flukes, he said he moved it so I checked and sure enough it updated after 5 minutes. But its back at 15 today.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 09:17:18 AM »
This is exactly what I was asking about a few days ago, and my friend then eventually called Davis support and was told there is no way you can change the default interval for WU of 15 minutes.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
Thanks, johnd (and others).

Now, perhaps one more clarification:

"Automatically upload data to third-party weather sites including CWOP (Citizen Weather Observer Program), Weather Underground, the GLOBE Program, and more."

What is/are the "and more" sites?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 10:24:16 AM »
What is/are the "and more" sites?

None that I'm aware of, at least in the current iteration of wl.com. TBH I'm not quite sure that this original wording was quite thought through - the problem for Davis has been that they don't, perhaps understandably, want a free-for-all where anyone can ask for an upload link to their own pet network, but at the same time they haven't established clear criteria (and maybe fees) for adding selected new networks. Maybe the next version of wl.com will offer more options?

Of course the above assumes that 'and more' refers just to push uploads. Anyone in possession of specific account credentials can pull data from wl.com to populate their own databases and presentations (provided, presumably, that they don't stress the servers with too-frequent data requests).
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 12:09:45 PM »
Figured out the other members statement. The upload interval in WL to WL.com were confused with increasing upload intervals to CWOP. This has cleared up a bunch on WL and WL.com questions I had. 
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:13 PM »
Hi Dale,

For the Weathelrink Network Subscription�the uploads to the third party sites happens fromm our servers, and is set at every 15 minutes.  Unfortunately, that cannot be changed at this time. 

Gerry Thrash

Technical Support

Davis Instruments, Inc.
  510-732-7814
  gerryt@davisnet.com

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 09:50:13 PM »
Hi Dale,

For the Weathelrink Network Subscription�the uploads to the third party sites happens fromm our servers, and is set at every 15 minutes.  Unfortunately, that cannot be changed at this time. 

Gerry Thrash

Technical Support

Davis Instruments, Inc.
  510-732-7814
  gerryt@davisnet.com
:roll:

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »
The 15-minute upload limit to WU is why I added a Meteohub to the WL.  The Meteohub is set to upload to WU every ten seconds.  Note that at times I may have to shut down the Meteohub for maintenance or setting changes and the WL serves as a back up uploader to WU because it is always running in the background at its 15-min interval.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »
The Meteohub is set to upload to WU every ten seconds. 

Why?  [i.e., why is 10 seconds better than 1 minute or 5 minutes or ......]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 05:48:07 PM »

Why not? Would you like your console to update every five minutes? I think not. As the saying goes, and it's certainly true, knowledge is power.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »
Shorter upload times on WU take precedence for display when stations are close together.  Seeing as my station is senior, has superior  siting and is of better quality (VP2 vs Ambient Weather WS-1200-IP), it is important that my weather data be displayed instead of the other station.  It is better quality.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 06:30:35 PM »

Why not? Would you like your console to update every five minutes? I think not. As the saying goes, and it's certainly true, knowledge is power.

So, the answer to "why" is "why not"?

OK, why not every 1 second or every 50 milliseconds?

[And yes, I'm quite willing to accept d_l's answer]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »

So, the answer to "why" is "why not"?

OK, why not every 1 second or every 50 milliseconds?

[And yes, I'm quite willing to accept d_l's answer]
Your logic is confounding and you're seemingly arguing just for the sake of doing so. I'll put it this way, as far as I'm concerned, faster is better. Good enough?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 11:38:07 PM »
I'll put it this way, as far as I'm concerned, faster is better. Good enough?

Certainly.  And I truly am interested in the reasons why various people use the various settings that they do.

I apologize for offending.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 12:50:59 AM »
I'll put it this way, as far as I'm concerned, faster is better. Good enough?

Certainly.  And I truly am interested in the reasons why various people use the various settings that they do.

I apologize for offending.
Thank you for offering, but certainly no apology necessary.

Offline StormCoolio

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »

This is an interesting discussion. I would say that using any software, computer, meteohub, etc., defeats the sole purpose of WL-IP, which is the ability to upload weather observations without requiring anything else.  So the desire for more frequent uploads overrides the design of WL-IP. 

That being said, I have seen WL.com uploads to WU at 15-min intervals actually miss daily maxes in temperature.  So one benefit to more frequent data is the capture of the daily extremes.

And I do wish WL.com had an almanac feature for the month, year, all-time, etc., to be able to look at climate records at ones location over time.

Anyway, neat discussion!

anything