Author Topic: Personal Weather Tablet - An Android tablet app to show your GW1000 data  (Read 25146 times)

Offline _John C

• Contributor
Re: Personal Weather Tablet - An Android tablet app to show your GW1000 data
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2020, 12:38:54 PM »
Great update. App is running great  [tup]

It just keeps on getting better.  :grin:
Ecowitt GW1000CA x2,   HP2551CA,   WH65 Outdoor 7in1 2 arm array,  WH32B Indoor Temp/Hum/Baro, WH45 Co2/PM2.5/PM10,  WH41 PM2.5,   WH57 Lightning Detector,   WH31 Temp/Hum x8,  WN34L Liquid Temp x2,  WN34S Soil Temp x1, WH51 Soil Moisture x8,   WH55 Water Leak x4,   Meteobridge (TL-WR902AC v3),   Da9L PWT x2, Home Assistant Integration

Offline Pax

« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2020, 08:29:12 PM »
Hi all.......... I'm in the process of determining exactly what I want to get as my 1st weather station and have decided that I want to go with the GW1000 based system. Right now I'm leaning to start with the GW1002 set of sensors and going with an android based tablet running PWT for my display device. Where I live, being southern Alberta Canada, there are not a lot of used Android tablets that are cheap enough to make me lean towards going used instead of new. This will be my 1st firsthand encounter with an android anything, as I've been IOS since the 3rd gen iPhone and the 2 gen iPad. As I have researched android tablets and am looking to get something on the budget end, I am unsure of a few things.

1) Is 2.4ghz wifi adequate for this? Or should I be looking for dual wifi?
2) Is 2gb of RAM sufficient to run PWT adequately? Or will it be sluggish on refresh?
3) Screen size. What would be adequate to view from across the room?
          7"=1024x600,
          8"=1280X800
        10"=1280x800 on a larger screen

I've noted that most of the budget tablets are using processors that were designed up to 5 years ago. Is that a worry?
All are running a clean, un-bloated Android 9.0

Just wanting to make all the purchases at one shot.
It's been fun lurking here behind the scenes for more than a year and absorbing what I can from everyone here.
Thanks
Paxx
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:31:20 PM by Pax »
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH32
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WS68
www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ICARDS6
https://app.weathercloud.net/d7092481147#current

"It matters not if you try and fail, and try and fail again
It only matters if you try and fail, and fail to try again"

"If you can't be good, be good at it!!"

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2020, 06:37:18 AM »
Hi there Pax :)

First of I would like to remind that this app is my first app.. So it could probably be much better optimized than it is. But with that being said, the device I use it on my self, was a budget tablet form at least 4 years ago (Lenovo TB2-X20F), running Android 6, and has always been laggy. Its a 10 inch, 1280 x 800, with a 1.4 Ghz quad core CPU and 1 GB ram. It runs the app fine, with animations being a bit laggy though. When the app is set up you wont need to do much interaction with it anyway :-)

My initial recommendation would be to get a 10 inch device running at 1280 x 800. I have a spare tablet I also test this on, which is a 7 inch running 1024 x 600, and in my opinion its simply to small for the dashboard.

And the idea of the app has always been to be able to use it on older hardware which is also why I've made it compatible with the old Android 4.1 and since the tablet I use it on (and test it on) has never been a fast one it self, I don't think you have to worry about the older hardware :-)

EDIT : Also olicat has confirmed that the app runs on Android 11  :grin:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 08:43:02 AM by Da9L »

Offline Pax

« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2020, 11:15:45 AM »
Thanks so much for such a rapid response Da9L. This is exactly the info that I was looking for. I had been leaning towards an 8" 1280x800, thinking it would be large enough, but for the few extra $$ I think I will follow your recommendation and get a 10" model. Also,   it's good to hear that your app runs on the latest OS as well as such old Android OS's. My hat's off to you as that is actually an amazing feat of coding to keep all things operational over such a long stretch of years.

thanks again for the reply, and more thanks for filling a need for the GW1000!!
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH32
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WS68

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2020, 03:19:54 AM »
Amazon Prime day coming in a few weeks and the opportunity to pick up a cheap 10" Fire tablet.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline Pax

« Reply #205 on: October 08, 2020, 05:05:27 PM »
Amazon.ca has a limited time deal going on right now on the GW1002 and I ordered it. Was delivered in 2 days and now I've got to get some time to set up my locations. I'm excited!!! Now I'm waiting and hoping for a great Android 10" next week on Prime Days!!!
Edit: The regular price on Amazon.ca for the GW1002 is $189.99 Cnd. Is now on sale for $161.49.
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH32
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WS68

Offline distortionist

• Livingstone Cove Weather Station
« Reply #206 on: October 08, 2020, 07:33:26 PM »
I like your app, I wish I had a spare tablet / phone for it lol. I will certainly get one if I can and buy your app! I love it.
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

Offline cvee72

« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2020, 04:52:45 AM »
I wish this app was available for IOS.

Just got myself an ecowitt setup on prime day sales.... and my only issue is that there’s no good display method for seeing all the data. Yes I can access the ecowitt web site.... but it’s not very pretty.

I also use weather underground app... but it only shows main data.... not my internal temp sensors, air quality, lightning etc.

I’m still new... so maybe there is better way.... but your app seems to tick all the boxes.
Ecowitt GW1003 includes : Ecowitt GW1000, Ecowitt WS80, Ecowitt WH40
Added : Ecowitt WH31, Ecowitt WH41, Ecowitt WH51, Ecowitt WH57

Offline Pax

« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2020, 11:14:20 AM »
I wish this app was available for IOS.

Just got myself an ecowitt setup on prime day sales.... and my only issue is that there’s no good display method for seeing all the data. Yes I can access the ecowitt web site.... but it’s not very pretty.

Welcome here from another newbie. I'm wondering what part of the world you are from, and which Ecowitt setup you have?

I've been following this forum for more than a year, but just bought Ecowitt GW1002 in the week prior to Prime days. Glad I did as here in Canada the Gw1002 wasn't a prime day special and yet in the week prior it was on sale.

Anyway, I too am an IOS guy and have never owned anything other than IOS and Mac and would love to see this App in IOS. However, I understand the issues presented to Da9L in even keeping one version of this app up and running and and bug free, and still making the improvements that he has, let alone trying to learn a new programming language for a new platform altogether. I am very impressed with what he has done with this and I also feel that this is the best app I've seen for displaying the data of any PWS device!!! HUGE kudos to Da9L for his work!!! And while I really wish that there was also an IOS app, I am in the process of trying to find a great Android tablet, used or new, that is nice and cheap to be able use. It would be a purchase that would only see it running this app as a dedicated console would be.

I also use weather underground app... but it only shows main data.... not my internal temp sensors, air quality, lightning etc.

I’m still new... so maybe there is better way.... but your app seems to tick all the boxes.

I agree that Da9L has ticked all the boxes and his app is better than anything else out there. Besides WU I am also pushing data to WeatherCloud and WOW. Just no app's for IOS or Android as far as I can see. It has a nicer display format than WU in my opinion, but the free version updates only every 10 minutes.

For me, I've decided that a purchase of an Android tablet is cheaper than a console, and this PWT is the best choice of display software there is for Ecowitt and so that is the way I'm heading right now while continuing to hope that Da9L will wake up one morning and make the rash decision to leap into the IOS app world!  :-|
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:20:47 PM by Pax »
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH32
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WS68

Offline K5GHS

• K5GHS's Website
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
I actually have the console also.  Its nice, but its by my computer in the bedroom.  So I have a tablet next to the bed and one in the kitchen running this.

Its great if you want consoles anywhere basically-just need a plug and wifi.  \:D/
Joshua
K5GHS
http://www.k5ghs.radio

Collin County, TX  Grid: EM13qd  CWOP: AV590
Skywarn Repeaters:  147.180 Primary 146.740 Secondary
100% Emergency Powered Ham Radio Station (540AH Batteries/Solar Rechargeable)
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline cvee72

« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2020, 06:01:20 PM »
Welcome here from another newbie. I'm wondering what part of the world you are from, and which Ecowitt setup you have?

Hey Pax,

I updated my profile to include that extra info.  :-P

I told ya I was new here.

My last weather station was an Acurite..... but I was one of their unhappy customers who they burned after forcefully disabling their network bridge to force everyone to upgrade to new hardware.

I probably should have done more homework but Ecowitt was an impulse buy during prime sales.
I do like the modularity of the setup.

I just need to install it now.
It’s been too wet to get on the roof.

One thing I did notice while my sensors are all in the kitchen... the temperature of the gateway sensor and the outdoor sensor are slightly off. I would expect them to be similar seeing as they are within 2 meters if each other.
Ecowitt GW1003 includes : Ecowitt GW1000, Ecowitt WS80, Ecowitt WH40
Added : Ecowitt WH31, Ecowitt WH41, Ecowitt WH51, Ecowitt WH57

Offline Pax

« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2020, 09:05:14 PM »

Hey Pax,

I updated my profile to include that extra info.  :-P

I told ya I was new here.

My last weather station was an Acurite..... but I was one of their unhappy customers who they burned after forcefully disabling their network bridge to force everyone to upgrade to new hardware.

I probably should have done more homework but Ecowitt was an impulse buy during prime sales.
I do like the modularity of the setup.

I just need to install it now.
It’s been too wet to get on the roof.

One thing I did notice while my sensors are all in the kitchen... the temperature of the gateway sensor and the outdoor sensor are slightly off. I would expect them to be similar seeing as they are within 2 meters if each other.

Thanks for updating your profile and signature!! It's always great to see where others are from and what they are using. When you do get set up, list you're WU ID in your signature. It's great to see what weather others are encountering.

I made up for your impulse buying by researching and studying things almost to death!!  :-) I think you've made a great purchase. I chose to go with the cup style anemometer WS68 rather than the WS80 because to the cold climate that I live in. Over half our year we see temps below freezing, and there are sometimes months that we don't see it actually get above freezing!!

Ecowitt is also the main brand that Fine Offset uses to try out their never ending new hardware and improvements. Although I haven't had any need to contact them, I've read here lots that FO is very active, listens to their customers and has a good support network, and Lucy is very quick to respond to any requests. That's what I like to hear about a company!

I initially also found a difference of several degrees  between my gateway sensor and the WH32 reading when set up inside. I then realized that I had the gateway's  sensor not exactly sitting next to the WH32 and the temps were different on the floor and on the desk, which was a a meter or so higher in room. When I got the sensors actually sitting in the same local, they were reading the same. It took a while for the WH32's readings to change, while the gateway's sensor was quicker to respond to changes.
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH32
Ecowitt WH40
Ecowitt WS68

Offline wardie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2020, 01:24:22 PM »
LOVING THIS APP! Thanks @ Da9L
Quick question: I'm struggling to figure out a good URL to add into one of the boxes to show a weather map and/or forecast. Like Windy shown above or any other one (In in UK so UK/EU ones tend to be good, but anything really). Have people got some examples of working URLs ( as opposed to some HTML To embed) from weather services that generate an appropriate HTML response to fit in the box? I'm assuming a load of params need specifying to make it fit etc.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:26:53 PM by wardie »
Froggit HP1000SE Pro-C console (HP2551-C)
Froggit HP1000SE Pro ultrasonic multi sensor with Ecowitt EC0002 heater (WS80)
Ecowitt Anemometer 5-in-1 array (WS68)
Froggit DP80 rain gauge (WH40) with spikes
Froggit indoor temp/humidity/pressure (WH32B)
Froggit DP50 Internal temp/humidity x2 (WH31)
Ecowitt Outdoor temp/humidity & RS-00001 shield (WH32)
Froggit DP200 PM2.5 outdoor (WH41)
Ecowitt indoor CO2 PM2.5 PM10 (WH45)
Froggit DP100 soil moisture (WH51)
Froggit DP60 Lightning detector (WH57)
Froggit DP1500 server dongle (GW1000A) x2
Raspberry Pi 4 / WeeWx-GW1000 API interface
WU: IKNEBW2

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2020, 04:07:23 AM »
I use Windy in my 'window' in PWT
What I did was use Windy on my PC and adjust it till you find the zoom area and features you want...ie Weather radar and lightning on etc
I simply took the resultant URL from the browser and pasted into the PWT setting.
I do find I need to re-centre the window each day (you can drag the page about) when it reloads (or whatever value you choose) and occasionally dismiss a Windy popup about tropical storm x

That's the best I have managed so far!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline distortionist

« Reply #214 on: October 23, 2020, 10:27:24 AM »
It is too tempting. I purchased it for my phone, hope it works lol.
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

Offline distortionist

« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2020, 10:31:31 AM »
Crap, it doesn't support the pull API, I don't want to configure the GW1000 to send data, it is already sending data to somewhere.

Something for you to work on in your down time man! give us pull api support so we just need to plug in the GW1000's address and the app can suck out that information as often as we want!

Feature request! :)
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

Offline _John C

• Contributor
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2020, 11:50:31 AM »
Can you send data to the app from your Ambient console like I can with my Ecowitt console?

I run 2 tablets with the app, one is fed from the GW1000 and the other from the HP2551 console.
Ecowitt GW1000CA x2,   HP2551CA,   WH65 Outdoor 7in1 2 arm array,  WH32B Indoor Temp/Hum/Baro, WH45 Co2/PM2.5/PM10,  WH41 PM2.5,   WH57 Lightning Detector,   WH31 Temp/Hum x8,  WN34L Liquid Temp x2,  WN34S Soil Temp x1, WH51 Soil Moisture x8,   WH55 Water Leak x4,   Meteobridge (TL-WR902AC v3),   Da9L PWT x2, Home Assistant Integration

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »
Can you send data to the app from your Ambient console like I can with my Ecowitt console?

I run 2 tablets with the app, one is fed from the GW1000 and the other from the HP2551 console.

The answer is to that is yes, as of recently. However the format is different for the custom server option.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2020, 01:01:06 PM »
Crap, it doesn't support the pull API, I don't want to configure the GW1000 to send data, it is already sending data to somewhere.

Something for you to work on in your down time man! give us pull api support so we just need to plug in the GW1000's address and the app can suck out that information as often as we want!

Feature request! :)

Another option, is to get another GW1000 :)

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2020, 01:55:42 PM »
Another option is to use Olicat's great software FOSHKplugin. That will allow you to send to multiple tablets with just one console device.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline distortionist

« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »
The best option would be to implement the API so any tablet / phone can get it right from the GW1000 any time they want!
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

Offline Da9L

• Contributor
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »
The best option would be to implement the API so any tablet / phone can get it right from the GW1000 any time they want!

Hi there. This is something that I'm working on, although it has been standing still for a week or so, but its coming in the next version :-)

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2020, 03:33:08 PM »
I was just looking at ways to not burden Da9L, I mean he is doing this on his own.

Also my understanding is the API is not a friendly animal.

But, Kudo's to Da9L for the entire effort.

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline distortionist

« Reply #223 on: October 25, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »
Hi there. This is something that I'm working on, although it has been standing still for a week or so, but its coming in the next version :-)

Awesome! Thank you and there is no rush for me! It would be the icing on the cake on your app I think! :)
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

Offline distortionist

« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2020, 08:37:15 AM »
I was just looking at ways to not burden Da9L, I mean he is doing this on his own.

Also my understanding is the API is not a friendly animal.

But, Kudo's to Da9L for the entire effort.

I hope I didn't sound like I am demanding or trying to pressure, it was just a suggestion. I am not upset I got the app and it doesn't have the API mode at all. I have one free console able to send data to my phone if I really wanted it to work. I just suggest that the API would ultimately be the way to go so you can have it on as many devices as you want. I want it on my phone and my daughter said she wanted it haha.
Ecowitt GW1000
Ambient WS-2000
Ambient WS-3000
Ambient WH31E x7
Ambient WH31P x2
Ambient WH31LA x2
Ambient PM25 Outdoor
Ambient WH31L

anything