Author Topic: Acurite, Ambient, Davis - Model Comparison  (Read 7047 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Acurite, Ambient, Davis - Model Comparison
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 04:38:11 PM »
I've amended my OP to state that for some the failure of the Davis SHT31 is 18 months give or take and for some it has lasted 5 or 6 years.

That 4-6 years was a typical estimate from me. But some SH11 sensors have lasted 10 years or more and there's no obvious reason that SHT31 wouldn't perform equally well. I'd say that 18 months was a misleadingly low estimate for many users, but it does depend on how pernickety users might be and what the actual hard evidence might be that the sensor is not performing adequately.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »
Like anything, you'll see 10X more post about when things break then when they don't.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 05:40:37 PM »
Being a little bit nitpicky but the Atlas display is a TFT LCD display. TFT = touch screen

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
My only comment is that ~300 ft fir Acurite is, IME, wildly overstated.

What should it be Acurite then? Ambient advertises 300 ft but typical performance is only 100 ft which I why I went with 100 ft for the Ambient.
Maybe change the current row name to "Mfg. Stated Range" and add a second "Real World Range"; and I'd say 100 ft is about right.  I have LOS 25 feet away and I get 2-3 of 4 bars.  A sensor in the garage 40 feet away gets 1-2.  Nothing unusual for 433mHz

I'm getting 300' range from my Acurite 5 in 1 which is located about 30' up a hill, then angling down into my house to my Access via a window. (It does cross a very small pond-- maybe this boosts the signal?) Signal strength is excellent according to MyAcurite. No lost data though sometimes extra data such as occasional 1" of reported rain when the sun is shining!  ](*,) (I'm waiting for a resolution from customer support......) When I had the SmartHub with the same 5 in 1 the range wasn't as good but I didn't get erroneous rain data. I did get a few 100+mph readings on calm days from time to time though.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 06:10:00 PM »

What should it be Acurite then? Ambient advertises 300 ft but typical performance is only 100 ft which I why I went with 100 ft for the Ambient.
Maybe change the current row name to "Mfg. Stated Range" and add a second "Real World Range"; and I'd say 100 ft is about right.  I have LOS 25 feet away and I get 2-3 of 4 bars.  A sensor in the garage 40 feet away gets 1-2.  Nothing unusual for 433mHz

I'm getting 300' range from my Acurite 5 in 1 which is located about 30' up a hill, then angling down into my house to my Access via a window. (It does cross a very small pond-- maybe this boosts the signal?) Signal strength is excellent according to MyAcurite. No lost data though sometimes extra data such as occasional 1" of reported rain when the sun is shining!  ](*,) (I'm waiting for a resolution from customer support......) When I had the SmartHub with the same 5 in 1 the range wasn't as good but I didn't get erroneous rain data. I did get a few 100+mph readings on calm days from time to time though.

Rhino is in these videos.  He pops in here infrequently.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My8HF6nBcF0[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgZWKtJlHE[/youtube]

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »
How does the 5n1 not have easy local data access?  There are 5n1 displays that have a serial port that can be read by VIS, weewx, Meteobridge, etc.  Many report that way.

As for the Access, have you ever tried Acuparse?  The auto-installer works nicely, and he's built in a tool to make the server name change on the Access simple.  Other than making a Windows version, I can't see how this can get much easier.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 06:40:41 PM »
Being a little bit nitpicky but the Atlas display is a TFT LCD display. TFT = touch screen

Updated - Thank you.

How does the 5n1 not have easy local data access?  There are 5n1 displays that have a serial port that can be read by VIS, weewx, Meteobridge, etc.  Many report that way.

As for the Access, have you ever tried Acuparse?  The auto-installer works nicely, and he's built in a tool to make the server name change on the Access simple.  Other than making a Windows version, I can't see how this can get much easier.

Updated 5-in-1 regarding USB display for easy local data acquisition.  Thanks!

Acuparse = Linux = Not Easy. Just mentioning Linux to many people is an automatic no go where they won't even attempt it no matter how easy the instructions are. Besides there is more than the Linux component as you have to put your console behind a different network to capture the data.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 06:49:29 PM »

Updated - Thank you.

Acuparse = Linux = Not Easy. Just mentioning Linux to many people is an automatic no go where they won't even attempt it no matter how easy the instructions are. Besides there is more than the Linux component as you have to put your console behind a different network to capture the data.

No.  That's not correct.  Why are you saying that?

If "Linux = Not Easy", then what's the point of continuing?  You can't type or cut-and-paste one line?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 07:02:39 PM »

Updated - Thank you.

If "Linux = Not Easy", then what's the point of continuing?  You can't type or cut-and-paste one line?

What is not correct? What is the point of continuing what? cut-and-paste????? I'm sorry I'm not understanding what you are saying.
Tele-Pole

Offline Theo

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 07:05:28 PM »

Well, it is a lot more than copying and pasting one line, you have to  create your own internal DNS servers and override acurite.com dns ip address.  I am a Linux expert and I would call that non-trival.  (Oh, I can do it, I have 2 Pi Holes and weewx running with interceptor) I just would not call acuparser trivial to setup. 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 07:06:01 PM »

Updated - Thank you.

What is not correct? What is the point of continuing what? cut-and-paste????? I'm sorry I'm not understanding what you are saying.

Besides there is more than the Linux component as you have to put your console behind a different network to capture the data.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 07:07:34 PM »

Well, it is a lot more than copying and pasting one line, you have to  create your own internal DNS servers and override acurite.com dns ip address.  I am a Linux expert and I would call that non-trival.  (Oh, I can do it, I have 2 Pi Holes and weewx running with interceptor) I just would not call acuparser trivial to setup.

No.  You don't need to do a DNS override.  He has a tool built into the admin interface to change the server name in the Access.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:13:24 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 07:14:05 PM »
Okay I hope this thread does not get derailed...

I'm putting this nicely.....Let's not debate what steps are trivial or not or what the specific steps are to accomplish a given configuration.

I think it is a solid point that the minute many people hear the word Linux they dismiss it. They need to install Linux and deal with maintaining a Linux system. Just dealing with the command prompt is foreign to a lot of people....whether they cut and paste or what not.

Linux = Not Easy....period. The End.
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »

I'm putting this nicely.....Let's not debate what steps are trivial or not or what the specific steps are to accomplish a given configuration.

I think it is a solid point that the minute many people hear the word Linux they dismiss it. They need to install Linux and deal with maintaining a Linux system. Just dealing with the command prompt is foreign to a lot of people....whether they cut and paste or what not.

One line.  Just one line.

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/acuparse/installer/master/install.sh && sudo sh install.sh | tee ~/acuparse.log

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 07:22:30 PM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 07:30:41 PM »

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/acuparse/installer/master/install.sh && sudo sh install.sh | tee ~/acuparse.log

Yes but you have to install and maintain a Linux system. Most people don't even know how to install Windows. They use what came loaded on their computer.
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2019, 07:47:59 PM »

Yes but you have to install and maintain a Linux system. Most people don't even know how to install Windows. They use what came loaded on their computer.

Installation of Linux is very painless these days.  Especially for things like a Pi that grade-school kids put together.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »

Good idea. Done.  What is the Real World RF Range for a Davis?
When I first got my Davis I tested the range out to 700 feet as that is where my buddy's cabin was as he wanted his own console.  Worked fine.  I would say 700+  I've read others who say much more than 1000 ft.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »

When I first got my Davis I tested the range out to 700 feet as that is where my buddy's cabin was as he wanted his own console.  Worked fine.  I would say 700+  I've read others who say much more than 1000 ft.

Thank you. I'll just stick to saying Davis range is 1000 ft for real world RF range experience. I have to say I've not seen people complain about the range in a Davis. Perhaps because 1000 ft is more than adequate for most people.
Tele-Pole

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »

You've got to put some qualifications on it, eg what's the height of transmit & receive antennas, is it genuinely clear line of sight etc. I'd say the Davis figure of 300m/1000ft is a pretty good central estimate for antennas at eg 5-6 ft and with good LoS with no obstructions. But it's better over water for instance where you might still see an RSSI of upper 20's at anything up to 400-500m, provided the antennas were reasonably elevated.
If I have some extra time, I'll take my console out on the lake - will be interesting to see how far I get over water.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2019, 10:29:29 PM »

Installation of Linux is very painless these days.  Especially for things like a Pi that grade-school kids put together.

Annnnnnnnnnnndddddd so true.
+1

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2019, 04:07:18 AM »

I'm 100% with galfert on this. A small proportion of AWS users are tech savvy enough not to be challenged at all by the idea of running Linux. And personally I agree completely that once you dip your toe in the Linux water it's not tricky at all to get a working system up and running on a Pi or whatever.

But the substantial majority would just react against the idea of running an alien operating system like Linux and wouldn't even entertain the idea. So many users want a turnkey data-handling system with an absolute minimum of set-up challenges and unfamiliarity - they can struggle enough with Windows, let alone Linux.

I think the misjudgement that some contributors are making is to assume that their own expertise with a range of operating systems extends to the hobbyist weather station user-base in general. It really doesn't IMO.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 05:19:51 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2019, 09:05:08 AM »
Perhaps it would be easier to simply say that this is a comparison of packages offered by various manufacturers, and if something is not part of the package that the manufacturer offers, then it has no place in the comparison. This is really aimed at beginners, not people with skills beyond.

johnd, it's interesting to me you your British customer base seems to not care much about relative humidity. Here in the mid-Atlantic USA, sweltering humidity can make RH and Dew Point data very important to folks.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »

I'm 100% with galfert on this. A small proportion of AWS users are tech savvy enough not to be challenged at all by the idea of running Linux. And personally I agree completely that once you dip your toe in the Linux water it's not tricky at all to get a working system up and running on a Pi or whatever.

But the substantial majority would just react against the idea of running an alien operating system like Linux and wouldn't even entertain the idea. So many users want a turnkey data-handling system with an absolute minimum of set-up challenges and unfamiliarity - they can struggle enough with Windows, let alone Linux.

I think the misjudgement that some contributors are making is to assume that their own expertise with a range of operating systems extends to the hobbyist weather station user-base in general. It really doesn't IMO.

Have you installed one of the mainstream Linux distro lately? Dont confuse UNIX with Linux. I have seen quite a few folks running raspberry pi's without knowing they are running Linux! How? They are buying this canakits with preinstall software (not necessarily this brand just an example) and they follow online instructions to get what they bought it for working. You are assuming Linux is hard. Is not 1988 any more. Linux now days is click and go. Now if you are going to use for a primary desktop and you are a windows person. You are up for a surprise. Running weewx and other type of weather apps in the pi is super simple. Take an account... Allot of the weather enthusiasts are retired folks with time in their hands and the old school come from the ham radio sector.... They are not dumb by no means.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:57:39 PM by txweather.org »

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2019, 10:17:47 AM »
johnd, it's interesting to me you your British customer base seems to not care much about relative humidity. Here in the mid-Atlantic USA, sweltering humidity can make RH and Dew Point data very important to folks.

Don't forget that the mid-UK latitude is around 55N. It's a predominantly damp climate and RH much below 40-50% is uncommon, while Dew Point much above 20C is also pretty uncommon, though that doesn't stop people complaining about discomfort if the DP rises much above 15-16C. For instance, today is a pretty average, somewhat overcast, July day in southern England - temperature at 1500Z is 21C; DP around 15C (though DP was a degree or two higher earlier).

And, just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that RH/DP is of zero importance here, it's more that wind, rain & temperature seem to be of much greater priority to users than RH or, within limits, pressure.

What might happen in the years to come about RH perception is a different matter of course, though it's not impossible that if the North Atlantic Drift (as distinct from the Gulf Stream) should switch off - as some speculate might happen - then the UK could conceivably even cool off a little relatively, at least for a limited period until overall warming overcomes it again.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 10:58:47 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather

anything