Author Topic: Upgrading from IS 1.9.14 to IS 2.0.13  (Read 8928 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Upgrading from IS 1.9.14 to IS 2.0.13
« on: March 14, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
Well, it seems it is time for me to upgrade to the latest version of Image Salsa (it's only been 6+ years now on V1) and am wondering if anyone has any pointers to do this? I'm also getting ready to add a second camera (my old Olympus C-5050). I'm still running on Win XP Professional SP3. Will also look at the streaming capability of IS.

Here are some questions:
  • Can I just install V2 on top of the existing V1 installation
  • Any special things (gotcha's) I need to watch for?
  • Any pointers for using IS with streaming?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Upgrading from IS 1.9.14 to IS 2.0.13
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »
I've been running the (beta) 2.0.13 for 6 years now..  Pity he hasn't done an upgrade in that time.

2.0.13 works just fine.  I'm using HTTP access to the camera, not streaming.  And a small script to overlay conditions on the webcam image.  All works great.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »
Thanks Ken! Is this a direct upgrade that I can run on top of the existing version?

Of course, I'll back everything up before I do it but just wondering about the process.

Yes, too bad Justin hasn't done anything on either of his products in many years.

Have a great day!
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:24:57 AM »
It's been so long ago (and so many memory cells are not responding), but... I'd originally put V1 in the directory, then overwrote it with V2, then re-customized the canvases.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:40:48 PM »
Well, I finally got some time to attempt to upgrade to IS v2.0.13. It did NOT go well. Kept getting failures when selecting my webcam (a LogicTech Quickcam Fusion) saying I had insufficient resources. Tried this several different times and also after rebooting with no change in symptoms. It simply won't install and run.

Went back to v1.9.14 and all works fine. Have sent a message to IS Support via their website asking for assistance with the upgrade.

Any ideas or has anyone else had similar problems?

Have also tried to run IS by itself with nothing else running and get the same error. My normal configuration is with Startwatch, VPLive, VirtualVP, VWS, WL & IS running together. My PC is an ACER Netbook with 1GB memory. Pretty basic setup with nothing exotic running that may take up the resources...

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:51:17 PM »
FWIW Don, I've had problems with the beta as well.  My solution was the same as yours, revert back to 1.9.14.
As they say, If it ain't broke...  ;)

Keep us updated on any response from the developer.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:58:15 PM »
FWIW Don, I've had problems with the beta as well.  My solution was the same as yours, revert back to 1.9.14.
As they say, If it ain't broke...  ;)

Keep us updated on any response from the developer.

I am getting ready to add a second camera (an old Olympus C-5050) thus, the reason for trying to upgrade to v2.0.13 which is supposed to handle more than one camera. If I can't get ImageSalsa running, I'm going to have to find another solution to the problem.

I see Jason last visited the forum on March 18th so he is still watching it. Just wondering if he is still supporting his products even though we haven't seen any updates for a very long time.

Well, shame on me for missing a detail - Jason last visited the forum March 18, 2011. That is OVER a year ago...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:01:09 PM by W3DRM »

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:08:15 PM »
Jason's last beta was what, six years ago?  I'm surprised it even runs on Vista/Win 7.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »
I'm still running the old version.  Seems I recall trying to upgrade several years ago to the beta and it kept crashing or hanging my old computer.  The old version is solid as a rock for me.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:44:26 AM »
Yup, been a very long time since any new IS or MS revisions have come out and over a year since Jason has even logged-in to the forum. We may never see him again, at this rate. I've sent him an email so we'll see if he responds.

The old v1.9.14 is rock-solid. I only wanted to upgrade because v2.0.13 supposedly can handle two camera inputs which is what I want to do.

Any suggestions for "other" software that allows for superimposig VWS data elements on the resulting webcam image? Not sure if SebecTec, VM95 or Cam2Com have that capability or not.

I also want to ge back to producing time-lapse movies as I used to do with Movie Salsa.

Jason is also one of the moderators of this group. His username is now DataCrunchTech.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:46:38 AM by W3DRM »

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »
Any suggestions for "other" software that allows for superimposig VWS data elements on the resulting webcam image?

If you can run PHP scripts, it's not too hard to write one to overlay text on an image.

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 10:59:46 PM »
Any suggestions for "other" software that allows for superimposig VWS data elements on the resulting webcam image?

If you can run PHP scripts, it's not too hard to write one to overlay text on an image.

I haven't created multiple canvases or used any of the more advanced features yet, but...

Would it be possible to have another basic webcam software simply save the extra camera's image to the hard drive and then have Image Salsa do it's thing on this image? (the source would be an image instead of the camera)
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 02:55:16 PM »

Will have to look into that possibility - thanks.

BTW, my email to datacrunchtech bounced. Looks like we are all out of luck as far as any further support for the Salsas...  :-(

From LFWX - Would it be possible to have another basic webcam software simply save the extra camera's image to the hard drive and then have Image Salsa do it's thing on this image? (the source would be an image instead of the camera)

Not sure if Image Salsa can grab an existing image file and place text on it. Will look into that too. Thanks for the idea.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 03:11:09 PM »
According to the IS manual you can specify either a live video feed or a bmp or jpg file as the source,

From page 12 of the Image Salsa User Manual:

Working with the first line, set the following values:
Enabled=Yes
Update Interval=0.03
Source Type=0 - Video Feed
Video Feed=The name of your video feed that you just enabled

If you didn’t have a video capture device, you can set the following values:
Enabled=Yes
Update Interval=0
Source Type=1 – Graphic File
Source FileName=Some .bmp or .jpg file on your PC – provide the full path (i.e.
c:\pictures\mypic.bmp). It can be any size, but 320 x 240 is preferred.
Leave all other settings the same (you can experiment with them later J)
You should now see you video feed or picture in your canvas:

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »
BTW, my email to datacrunchtech bounced. Looks like we are all out of luck as far as any further support for the Salsas...  :-(

Maybe the contact form on the ImageSalsa site would get a response or did you try that already Don?

http://imagesalsa.com/support2.htm
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »

Maybe the contact form on the ImageSalsa site would get a response or did you try that already Don?

http://imagesalsa.com/support2.htm

Yes, I've tried that as well as an old email address I had from several years ago. I either get an error message or no response at all. Interestingly, the wxforum shows him as "DataCrunchTech". Am wondering if Ken or one of the other moderators may have a phone number that they could try to see if there is any response?

I'm beginning to believe he has just moved-on and no longer supporting the product. Maybe he won the LOTTERY and is sailing the South Pacific.  :grin:

I wonder what would happen if someone tries to purchase it? I think the process of creating a new user key was manual and not automated but I may be wrong - it's been so long since I purchased IS & MS that I can't remember the details.

EDIT: Should have looked before I typed my response - sorry...
You can purchase IS & MS via third-party outlets and registration is via regnow.com:

• Ambient LLC
  • Meteorologica, LTD

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:43:15 PM by W3DRM »

Offline DataCrunchTech

• Data Crunch Technologies
  • Developer of ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa
    • ImageSalsa Web Cam Software
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »
I'm not dead yet. :)

ImageSalsa/MovieSalsa are still being supported and sold to whomever wants to buy them, but as noted, no more development is occurring.  Ed convinced me to productize ImageSalsa a decade ago based on his experience with VWS.  I probably sunk about 6 solid months of evenings and weekends into making the first version of ImageSalsa.  Well, let's just say the road to riches is not lined with weathercams #-o

The most reliable email is usually support@imagesalsa.com.  I've switch web providers a few times and I have to keep altering the support web page to circumvent spambots -- so some of the support and email methods go up and down periodically, but the support email gets my top priority.

I've also happy to say I've got a young family going now.  As such, most of my time is dedicated to them.  So, you won't find me perusing the boards much unless -- as in this instance -- someone like Don lets me know via email that there is a thread I should look into.

Now, with the issue that you are seeing, Don.  I don't have a specific answer to give you because the error is coming from a third-party module that ImageSalsa uses to do its video capture.  And they are notorious for providing very little useful information in their error codes back to ImageSalsa.  I'd first make sure that your standard video feeds (under the old menu from 1.x days) are disabled for the same camera -- you can't (usually) connect to the same device using two different programs or the same program using two connections.  If the old connection is still enabled, then trying to enable it with the 2.0 connection will fail.  This may be what the error message is trying to convey.

Jason
Jason
support@datacrunchtech.com

www.imagesalsa.com
Home of ImageSalsa and MovieSalsa

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »
congrats on the young family :) !
Brian