Author Topic: Belfyboy logger for Mac  (Read 1434 times)

Offline cmgc

Belfyboy logger for Mac
« on: October 03, 2022, 04:45:42 AM »
I wonder if anyone can help.  I have a Davis Vantage Pro and am using the Belfryboy datalogger to link into my Imac. I am using "weathercat" software to display and record the data. When the computer is on with weathercat running the data streams in aand is recorded much as you would expect. However when I switch off the imac at night the console or logger seems not to have recorded or stored any of the data from the time the software was switched off.
Can anyone show me where I am going wrong.
Many thanks in anticipation
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 05:50:56 PM by cmgc »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Belfyboy logger
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2022, 09:01:41 AM »
I don't believe the Belfryboy version has the memory chips installed like the Davis USB.  That's a big part of why he can do it at half the cost.

So you'd have to run the computer 24/7.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline cmgc

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 09:11:51 AM »
92 merc - thanks for the reply.  Ok  on that basis is there anything I can do apart from buying a  weatherlink logger?

Offline cmgc

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 09:16:34 AM »
I have another option possibly.  I also run a fairly old TFA Nexus weather station for which the outside station and sensors are becoming unreliable. However the cosole and link to my imac work very well. Has anyone experience of if it is possible to get the Nexus cosole to recieve the signals from the Davis Vantage Pro as if they were from nexus sensors?

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 09:30:15 AM »
92 merc - thanks for the reply.  Ok  on that basis is there anything I can do apart from buying a  weatherlink logger?

https://wifilogger.net/

Offline cmgc

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 10:07:44 AM »
Tks DavidMC  I am speaking with an outlet that sells wifilogger to see if it will solve the issue.  Happy to hear of any other solutions however. !!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:18:03 AM by cmgc »

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 10:52:19 AM »
I don't believe the Belfryboy version has the memory chips installed like the Davis USB.  That's a big part of why he can do it at half the cost.
Mine certainly does!
Mark

Offline cmgc

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 11:31:57 AM »
mcrossley -  Ok so your belfryboy is able to keep several days of historic data on it when your computer is not active and  when you fire up the software it can then download it?
Can I ask what weather station , computer platform  and  weather software you use?

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 11:44:04 AM »
Yes, it functions just like the Davis logger - which I have in another console. Both VP2 consoles. The logger will work with any software, but I use Cumulus MX.
Mark

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 11:46:40 AM »
I'd suggest, you remove all power from your console (batteries and DC), remove the logger, and replace it ensuring it is fully seated.

Ah, you have a Pro - not a Pro2 ?
Mark

Offline cmgc

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 12:08:24 PM »
Yes do you think being a Pro (1) not 2 makes a difference?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 12:26:52 PM »
I have 2 VP2 consoles I'm using with BF loggers.  I bought both of these about a year ago.  Neither of mine have logging capability.  Just live coms.

Did he change something compared to older versions?
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline cmgc

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 12:40:03 PM »
Ok 92merc  I seem to be in th esame place you are. We await a reply from mcrossley to see if we can work out how his BF logger works.

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 12:45:41 PM »
Yes do you think being a Pro (1) not 2 makes a difference?

I found this old page that suggests it should work with the Pro but doesn't specifically mention WeatherCat.

Original thread here.
Ecowitt GW1102 (with GW2000) + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline cmgc

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 01:01:53 PM »
Tks vasco.  Yes I have bought one of these and it streams data when live. However I am struggling to get it to record/ hold on to data from when th ecomputer is not working and downloading records when I power up the computer in the morning.

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2022, 03:04:41 PM »
From what I have read the loggers are compatible across VP and VP2.

The only thing that stopped them working was to fiasco when Davis changed their firmware to block non-Davis loggers (locking out their own old ones in the process!). But the Belfryboy and other clones quickly found the way to add the required code to their loggers. However the original clones, just like old Davis loggers will not work with Davis firmware that locks out non-"Green Dot" loggers. See - https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/green-dot-loggers

I think the clue is in the name, Belfryboy "logger" - they have always had the logger memory chip fitted afaik.
Mark

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 03:06:52 PM »
Tks vasco.  Yes I have bought one of these and it streams data when live. However I am struggling to get it to record/ hold on to data from when the computer is not working and downloading records when I power up the computer in the morning.

The clue is in the name - it's a logger, so it should log records when the computer is off. It has a dataflash chip. So you have a setup problem on Mac, and I see that Belfryboy's setup app (op. cit., but I can't access it) is only for PC. . .  Nor can I access his install instructions :-(

Sorry, I was only trying to be helpful  :?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:09:34 PM by Vasco »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 03:24:39 PM »
I was going to wait until I got home.  But I remember when I bought my latest 2 BF loggers.  I recall he said he had to change chipsets due to chip issues.  I was going to see if the email stated anything about the logging capabilities.  But I do recall a couple of emails going back and forth.  I don't have access to those emails at work.

But when I try to connect my WeatherLink to either my COM3 Cumulus console, or COM4 WD console, it won't connect.  And yes, I shut down each program briefly for the test.

So I'm thinking something has changed with latest version of the logger.  I previously had a Davis branded serial logger that worked fine.  I had to switch to all USB with new PC.

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 04:39:42 PM »
Nor can I access his install instructions :-(

Correction: yes I can, so I presume I can access the setup app too. You have to click on the link, apply for access to Google Drive and then wait for e-mail permission  :roll:

EDIT: Yes, got the PC setup app too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 05:02:34 PM by Vasco »

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 05:08:45 PM »
I knew I'd seen it somewhere: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=13574.msg141420#msg141420

Obviously you need a PC to run the app to activate the logging if you want it to start saving data (should be possible in a virtual instance of Windows as well).

Offline cmgc

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2022, 05:16:35 PM »
Ok excuse me if I am missing something here,  but does this mean that I need to put my Belfry logger into a PC in order to get it to record and store data from the console. Surely this could have been done before I bought it?

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »
Ok excuse me if I am missing something here,  but does this mean that I need to put my Belfry logger into a PC in order to get it to record and store data from the console. Surely this could have been done before I bought it?

I have no idea, I'm just an old fart who likes to search around to try and help other members. Why don't you e-mail or PM the author, I've done all the hard work for you.

Offline cmgc

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2022, 05:33:05 PM »
Many thanks to you all for your helpfull inputs. Trust me I am on 3 different forums trying to get to the bottom of this and am chasing the maker of Belfryboy and other parts of my hardware. So far nothing conclusive has come to light!! 

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2022, 05:45:54 PM »
Many thanks to you all for your helpfull inputs. Trust me I am on 3 different forums trying to get to the bottom of this and am chasing the maker of Belfryboy and other parts of my hardware. So far nothing conclusive has come to light!!

Go back and modify the title of your first post to "Belfryboy logger with Mac" and you might get a few more posts  ;)

Offline cmgc

Re: Belfyboy logger for Mac
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2022, 05:51:18 PM »
Will do . Tks