Author Topic: Connect to Nano SD with multiple instances (of WeeWx for example)  (Read 481 times)

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
    • Cape Small Harbor Weather
Is it possible to set things up so that more than one instance of WeeWx (or any other program that uses ethernet) can access a NANO SD on a Davis VP2? I know the Weatherflow devices broadcast via UDP which allows any number of listeners but my networking skills are insufficient to know if there is a similar alternative using TCP/IP.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Connect to Nano SD with multiple instances (of WeeWx for example)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 10:06:08 PM »
No.

If you invest in a WeatherLink Live then you'll have exactly that... support for a local network API where multiple devices / software can have at the data simultaneously. The WLL connects to your network via Ethernet or WiFi.

WeeWX supports the WLL API via external driver.
https://github.com/jonotaegi/weewx-wll

The WLL API is supported by the major weather software options; Cumulus MX, Meteobridge (standard, Pro Red, Pro Black), Weather-Display, and WeeWX. Run the all at the same time and even multiple instances of the same one, on the same device or different local network device. Simple setup and very powerful option to test. Makes data migration easy if moving from one system to another while not losing data on other live system. Good solution to have a backup upload to your online services.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:14:38 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 08:35:00 PM »
Thanks, interesting. So I would not eliminate my pricey NANO SD using that box then? I'm not entirely sure of the network config when using it. Will study their docs some more.

Do you use one? Satisfied with it?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 09:03:59 PM »
I've installed few, but I don't have one myself.

It is up to you if you want to eliminate the NANO, but I'd keep it. The WLL is independent. It doesn't need your display console at all.

The WLL receives data directly from the sensors. Then the WLL makes the data available over the local network and it can also upload itself directly to Weatherlink.com.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39751.0

« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 10:13:25 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
That thread with the graphics of the different options is really useful, many thanks for the pointer!

anything