Author Topic: Repair/replace Rainwise Station, or move to Vantage Pro2?  (Read 1077 times)

Offline afriedman

Repair/replace Rainwise Station, or move to Vantage Pro2?
« on: March 07, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »
My school has had a Rainwise weather station for over 15 years, and it is showing its age. Wind direction and rainfall no longer show up on the display, despite my efforts to maintain the instrument cluster. I want to get our station to be fully functional AND accessible from the Web. I suspect the most effective long-term option is to replace the entire station with a more modern set (Mark III LR), in addition to their IP-100 Network interface, for a cost of $1500 (!!).

The high cost makes me wonder if we should just scrap everything and go with a Davis Vantage Pro2 system, which looks like it would cost $850 for a wireless station, plus a Weatherlink.

The only thing that gives me pause is that we have always liked the big bright Rainwise display mounted in the hallway for everyone to see. I really want the station to be on the Web for students to view, so perhaps the hallway-mounted display is not that big a deal anymore.

So, what do you think? Stick with Rainwise or switch to Davis?

Thanks!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Repair/replace Rainwise Station, or move to Vantage Pro2?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 06:22:32 PM »
They're both very capable/comparable PWS's. The thing I prefer about the VP2 is that you can get it aspirated (highly recommended) and you can detach the anemometer and remote it wherever you wish with the remote transmitter for optimal siting of both the ISS and anny.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 07:11:15 PM »
You can put a TV in the hallway and display the live data. Numerous software options exist to show the live data. It doesn't need to be a webpage with data. The display can be the some weather software like Weather-Display or Cumulus MX that gets data from the WeatherLink Live.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 03:29:15 AM »
My school has had a Rainwise weather station for over 15 years, and it is showing its age. Wind direction and rainfall no longer show up on the display, despite my efforts to maintain the instrument cluster. I want to get our station to be fully functional AND accessible from the Web. I suspect the most effective long-term option is to replace the entire station with a more modern set (Mark III LR), in addition to their IP-100 Network interface, for a cost of $1500 (!!).

The high cost makes me wonder if we should just scrap everything and go with a Davis Vantage Pro2 system, which looks like it would cost $850 for a wireless station, plus a Weatherlink.

The only thing that gives me pause is that we have always liked the big bright Rainwise display mounted in the hallway for everyone to see. I really want the station to be on the Web for students to view, so perhaps the hallway-mounted display is not that big a deal anymore.

Thanks!

Hello

Do this get a Davis VP2 and a meteobridge product you will have many ways to display data including your own school website plus many other means of viewing data online . If your school has a local server for other purposes in education i.e books etc then you can basically with the help of your IT department make everything self sufficient .

About to install this at an international K-12 school here later this month it took 3 years to pin down someone who would actually oversee/maintain it all. due to the nature of international teachers come and go at random we bought a VP2 THREE YEARS AGO its sat in a box ever since so hopefully and finally it will get used.

more info about meteobridge products https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home

This is a screenshot of using on a large tv screen with a Davis VP2 connected to Meteobridge NANOSD . it was purely designed for large screen use.At the school it will be accessible by all and also easily used on SMARTBOARDS (I guess these are the replacements for chalkboards),iPads,Phones,Desktops and so on .

need more info get in touch and its free and students of all ages like to see the obvious ..it also caters for display chart data in realtime view, daily view, monthly view, yearly view, or if you have years of data , it also caters for different metrics a useful tool to get students interested the technical stuff is down to you to educate and implement it .thing I learnt in my short time working in a K-12 school of all ages was to present something understandable to get there interest the rest came after getting them over that interest hurdle..

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:49:35 AM by weather34 »