Author Topic: What else would I need?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
What else would I need?
« on: April 04, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »
If I get a Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station what else would I need to get in order to connect it with cumulus or WD?

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: What else would I need?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

You will need Davis Weatherlink in either serial, USB or IP version, or equivalent to connect to a compute/router and run one of the weather programs.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:52:49 PM »
Another option would be to purchase the USB interface for the console and then get a meteobridge. http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home

Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:19:02 AM »
Another option would be to purchase the USB interface for the console and then get a meteobridge. http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home

MBPro (Red) then you wouldn't even need a USB interface.

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »
Where is the best place to get the best prices on these?

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 04:53:27 PM »
Where is the best place to get the best prices on these?

You can make your own meteobridge by purchasing a https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Portable-Router-TL-MR3020/dp/B00634PLTW on amazon and flashing it with the meteobridge software.

As for the meteobridge plus, I think there is only one source in the US. 
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
If I get a Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station what else would I need to get in order to connect it with cumulus or WD?

A logger of some kind, and a computer if the logger doesn't include a CPU, and some software or firmware.

Are you hunting a "plug and play" solution?  Or do you want to save some money but have to do some thinking and construction work?

Decide that first, before asking where to get "it".

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 05:28:03 PM »
I want to plug it in and be able to use it with either WD or Cumulus.

Pricing things out right now once I get the $ saved up I'll purchase everything at that time.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »
I want to plug it in and be able to use it with either WD or Cumulus.

Assuming that you have a PC running Windows - you will need a Davis USB logger.  [A Davis Serial logger would also work if your PC has a serial port]. 

Check out the discounted price list at Scaled Instruments https://www.scaledinstruments.com/  (Make sure you log in to get the discounted prices).

You could consider the WeatherLinkIP.

The other solutions suggested in this thread would work nicely - but are not just simply "plug it in" solutions.

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 06:02:56 PM »
I've noticed almost nothing PWS related is Plug it in and go.  I am open to other brands but Davis seems to be the leader in the PWS market.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 11:23:19 PM »
I've noticed almost nothing PWS related is Plug it in and go.  I am open to other brands but Davis seems to be the leader in the PWS market.

So I own a couple of non-Davis PWS. I have a WS-2080 (no longer sold but you can find them still in the box) that would be plug and play with the addition of the $40 meteobridge. I also have a WS-1400-IP that is totally plug and play but only supports Weather Underground. That's a bit limiting for me. I'm also having some issues with the way the anemometer works on the unit. I'm expecting a warranty replacement sensor unit on Friday. If that one doesn't work better, I'm going to return the unit for a full refund.

I'm going to purchase a Davis VP2 even if the new sensor unit works better. The Ambient Weather stations are just a bit too consumer for my liking. Davis takes things more seriously and the units seem more serviceable when things break, and they will break. Weather is harsh.

I've been at this for a few years so if you want to follow my lead I'm getting a VP2 6152, the daytime FARS 7747 (not necessary but, I want it), the USB Datalogger 6510 and the TL-MR3020 I mentioned in a previous post flashed to become a meteobridge.

This setup will not require a computer to post to any of the services (weather underground, CWOP, or others) and will be far more accurate and reliable than the stations I currently have.

As a side note: I don't like relying on a computer to post my weather data. I work in the IT world and have a pretty hefty lab at home. Having to keep one computer running all of the time and be careful with upgrades to the os and such so as to not interrupt my weather data is a pain. Having a device, the TL-MR3020 appliance do it will mean my data posting will have far fewer gaps in posting and I don't have to worry about software upgrades or licenses needing to be renewed.

Just my .02 cents. Others are welcome to disagree with my opinion. But, remember by definition an opinion cannot be wrong, just different than yours.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:26:40 PM by kmahler »
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

anything