Author Topic: Ambient WS-1090 915mHZ data reading project  (Read 2731 times)

Offline itsmatt

Ambient WS-1090 915mHZ data reading project
« on: October 31, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place but since my weather station is a WS-1090, I'm guessing so.  Feel free to direct me otherwise.

So, I've got our console mounted in the kitchen - where everyone can easily see it.  There's no computer in that room and I don't really wish to relocate the console, purchase another or run wiring to that console.

I'd like to be able to push the data to the wunderground site.

As a winter project I thought that it would be interesting to build something that could receive the signal from the station, interpret the signal and then post the data.  I've seen a couple of arduino 915mHz transceiver shields and some usb devices that might work plugged into my PC or Mac.  Was wondering if folks had tried this before and if they had any suggestions for the hardware.  This is all new territory for me and an opportunity to learn something.

I've read that the data is sent every 48 seconds (I believe that is what it is) and I expect that there is some set protocol that it uses - whether that is published somewhere, I don't know but I guess that's part of the fun of the project - figuring out how to get the data and understand the protocol.

Anyhow, if you've had any experience with this or have a hardware recommendation, I'd love to hear about his.

Thanks much,
Matt

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Ambient WS-1090 915mHZ data reading project
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »
Would the Arduino Weather Board mentioned here help?

Offline itsmatt

Re: Ambient WS-1090 915mHZ data reading project
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:30:29 AM »
Would the Arduino Weather Board mentioned here help?

Thanks for the response.  Interesting board.  If I were looking to build one from scratch, that would be pretty fun.

But not really in my case.  What I'm wanting to do is actually receive the broadcast from the Ambient station I've got and interpret the data myself, so what I need is a 915mHz receiver for starters.

Thanks,
Matt