Author Topic: Mounting WS-2080 rain guage on rooftop  (Read 5032 times)

Offline raedh

Mounting WS-2080 rain guage on rooftop
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »
I need a guideline for mouting ws-2080 rain gauage to get the best result and i wish i can do it by tomorrow that the first rain event since 6 month expected tomorrow night  :grin:, and there is a note that in my roof subject to high wind in winter

Offline raedh

Re: Mounting WS-2080 rain guage on rooftop
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:10:37 PM »
Today we had a thunderstorms a heavy rain period with near gale wind 72 km/hr I saw the rain running on the street and only got 0.3 from ws2080

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:58 PM »
The NWS and CWOP state in their guidelines to install no closer than half the height of nearby objects, ie. no closer than 2m to a 4m tree. From your pictures it looks like you can use the walls to block the wind by placing the rain gauge near a corner. Just measure how high your wall is, divide that by 2 and place your gauge that far(*) from each wall in a corner. *You will need to move in slightly closer than your measured distance because it needs to be raised up off the roof floor to avoid splash in (screwed down to a planter bowl for example).  Maybe place a couple of your potted plants on the opposite side, the same distance, to block wind from the open side.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 07:10:53 PM by DanS »

Offline raedh

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:49:07 AM »
this is a great idea :idea:, doing it today and waiting next rain event

Offline raedh

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:51:11 AM »
is it a matter to mount it in north, south,west, east corner side ?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:06:33 AM »
It probably would be best in a corner that blocks your prevailing wind direction. That is, the direction your winds come from most of the time.

Offline raedh

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:34:40 AM »
I'm thinking to make a modification to the rain gauge that make it deeper, the station missed alot of heavy rain pour for example yesterday with multiplier 1.3 in cumulus recorded 5.5 mm the manual gauge 13mm, I know there are many threads on this topic but what is the ideal depth can I use.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:53:32 AM »
Personally I wouldn't think altering the funnel depth is going to correct your readings. Was your manual gauge right up next to your station gauge during all of your comparison readings? Even separated 1 meter can give you big differences. If both gauges are next to each other and giving those reading differences then some other adjustment(s) need looking at. Wind wouldn't cause overshoot on only one of the 2 gauges. Also the fact that you have to put in a "1.3 multiplier in Cumulus" indicates something else may need attention.

I would try a calibration check if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:53:29 AM by DanS »

Offline raedh

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 12:50:21 AM »
first i will do the calibration check ,but  how I can check for tips while unpluging it from station?

then in the next rain i will put both close to each other

Thanks DanS

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 02:34:11 AM »
You can hear the clicking of the bucket tips if it isn't too noisy around you. You could take the gauge inside and set it on the shower floor. Quiet in there and water can run out of the bottom and down the drain. Just be sure to set it where the floor is the most level because of the floor grade down toward the drain.
Another option would be to stop any data uploading to the Internet/website and let the station console count for you. When finished just delete the daily total reading.

Offline raedh

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:56:36 AM »
Great doing it today and back with results