Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-2000 displays data from the Ecowitt Lightning sensor  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project

After the last firmware (version 1.6.0) update to my WS-2000 I was surprised to see that it started to display the data from the Ecowitt lightning sensor.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Obviously, I didn't expect this but it has apparently happened in the past with other newly released sensors from Ecowitt. Unfortunately, it also seems to be Ambient Weather' s practice  to adjust the firmware in future versions to stop this ability.

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
You let the cat out of the bag. Ambient will be rushing to fix this oversight no doubt.

We have seen this before with other sensors only to later see Ambient push some new firmware and shut the party down.

What we learn from this is that there is no technical limitation. This is deliberate. Do people want to continue to buy Ambient consoles with limited firmware? Remember when IBM attempted to build PC computers with proprietary MicroChannel (MCA) expansion slots?...well that didn't work out to well for IBM...they had to go back to the compatible Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) expansion slot.

I understand Ambient's determination to protect future sales. They don't want people to buy sensors elsewhere. But at the same time limiting what sensors are compatible makes it so that people will not choose Ambient for the initial console investment, as people will seek an investment that will secure them future sensor compatibility. Granted Ambient provides exceptional customer service and they test their products before they sell them. Still there are plenty of sensors that Ambient has passed up on that have no problems as we have seen from users using the Ecowitt WS68 spinning anemometer....etc.

Ambient is doing more harm to themselves in the long run than the short term gain of preventing people from using the sensors they want. This is a personal rift between Ambient and their OEM which is Fine Offset, as they are not happy about the existence of Ecowitt.

Vote with your wallet!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 02:59:30 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline LeeS

I have no issue with their policy but if they won't provide the sensor they shouldn't block the generic one.
AW WS-2000 - Ecowitt GW1000 - Meteobridge
AW:  Dashboard
WU:  KORHAPPY83
CWOP:  FW7602
PWS Weather:  KORHAPPY83

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
Hi LeeS

Take it a step further. They provided an updated firmware that does accept the sensor. If I remember previous occasions , on a future firmware release, that capability will be removed.

Its not like the system always had the capability, it didn't. They pushed out a firmware and it does. Now they will more than likely removed it.

If I were them, in order to mitigate this confusion, would not have pushed out a firmware that does. Sure I like having it, but knowing its probably temporary , well ... eh

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
I think it kinda comes down to a big "Ooops" on Ambient Weather's part for not seeing or understanding what their latest firmware was capable of.

And I might be wrong, maybe they have decided to just support it, and that would be great!.

History shows a contrary evidence to this though.

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
Here's my take on the topic.

I buy a WS-2000 and decide I'd like to have a different location for the temp/humidity. I buy the AW sensor, all is well.
Then I decide I'd like to have a rain gauge mounted at a different location than the all-in-one. I buy an Ecowitt and it works, replacing the source in my WS-2000 console. Nice.

A firmware (WiFi) upgrade is available. Great! Install. Hey! Where did my rain gauge go?

So, I can either wait on Ambient to certify and sell the exact same rain gauge and then buy one or I can get an Ecowitt console that will work with my Ambient sensors.

For me, that exact scenario took place not long ago and I am most unhappy with Ambient for that. No reason to disable sensors. I've bought your system and the same amount of data is heading to you no matter the sensor used. It would be different if I could buy a US$20 item that would send data to the Ambient servers then put a full suite of sensors from another company on it. That's not the case though.

For me, I've ordered replacement console and wind/UV from Ecowitt. When it comes, I'll have a WS-2000 system for sale at a reasonable cost.
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
WS-2000 Firmware revision 1.6.2 , No more Ecowitt lightning sensor :(

Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000

Offline SWX

This sort of thing is partly why I’ve held off on upgrading from the WS-2902A to the WS-2000. If Ambient had their lightning detector (among other things) as an option their closed ecosystem might be more justifiable, but they don’t.

Ecowitt has the edge in terms of expandability on the hardware side, Ambient has it on the software side. Kind of sucks as a consumer.
Wunderground / PWS Weather
Ambient Weather WS-2902A
Ambient WeatherBridge
Ecowitt GW1000
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH41
Ecowitt WH51 x 2
Ecowitt WH57
Ecowitt WS68

Offline funsutton

• Contributor
    • Weather Underground
I got a promo email yesterday from Ambient which says they are coming out with a new lightning sensor next month:

"The Ambient Weather lightning detector is a separate wireless device that sends strike data to the WS-2000 and WS-5000 weather station consoles, and is scheduled for release in June."

Offline BoilermakerDave

Hey guys. New weather guy here. Just purchased  and have set up the WS-2000. Love it. As I said, very new to this so could someone fill me in on what exactly firmwear is and does it auto install? Does that make any sense?

Dave

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
This sort of thing is partly why I’ve held off on upgrading from the WS-2902A to the WS-2000. If Ambient had their lightning detector (among other things) as an option their closed ecosystem might be more justifiable, but they don’t.

Ecowitt has the edge in terms of expandability on the hardware side, Ambient has it on the software side. Kind of sucks as a consumer.

Ah, you want to upgrade and eat your cake too....well good news, you can. If you have a WS-2902A and you want to upgrade then it is simple. Just start getting some Ecowitt parts. You could get the GW1000 and it will pick up your WS-2902A sensor array.  Or if you prefer to get a better display then get the Ecowitt HP2551-C display console and it too will pick up your WS-2902A sensor array. Then later, or all at once, if you are ready to upgrade to separate sensors then get WS68, WH40, and WH32. You can do it all at once with the GW1002 complete kit plus the HP2551-C.  Up to you which way you want to upgrade. If you want the WS80 then you get that part from Ambient and the Ecowitt consoles (GW1000 and HP2551-C) will pick it up too. After you have either the GW1000 or the HP2551-C you can start to add other Ecowitt sensors. Oh you think I forgot about Ambientweather.net as you think that is better than Ecowitt.net....well I didn't forget that either. To keep all your Ecowitt sensors working all you need is the GW1000 paired up with the Ambient WeatherBridge (their Meteobridge) and you can keep uploading to Ambientweather.net.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:25:25 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Hey guys. New weather guy here. Just purchased  and have set up the WS-2000. Love it. As I said, very new to this so could someone fill me in on what exactly firmwear is and does it auto install? Does that make any sense?

Dave

The WS-2000 has two different firmware types to upgrade.

• Revision firmware - You get this by downloading the updated firmware using your computer and saving it to a micro SD card. It has to be SDHC type (FAT32 formated). Then you place the SD card with the firmware in the WS-2000 and power cycle the device. It will then upgrade.
    https://help.ambientweather.net/help/ambient-weather-ws-2000-firmware-download-center/
  • WiFi firmware - You get this by using the Ambient awnet mobile app (or you can also use Ecowitt WS View app). The app will find the WS-2000 on your network and offer to upgrade its WiFi firmware to the latest version.

The two firmware types update different things on the WS-2000. It doesn't matter which you do first.
Tele-Pole