Author Topic: Build Your Own Davis Console Datalogger  (Read 109552 times)

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
Re: Build Your Own Davis Console Datalogger
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
Sure you can!  Right off the Davis website.. In fact they promoted it when all the 5.9.3 issues arose.

I would be interested if you can. from their website I can only install upgrades, but if you can post a link, that would be useful. It might be a feature of my location (uk) but I am unable to find stand alone downloads.

BTW I am a licensed user, but when my Davis logger got zapped it needed to find a cheap way of archiving my data, and this thread provided it. I really love Davis kit, even if I have spent a fair bit of time servicing and repairing it.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2012, 04:46:23 PM »
Pulling from a previous post about SW versions that Davis promoted...  http://toolbox.davisnet.com/downloads/Weather/software/
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2012, 03:47:16 AM »
 :grin: Cheers Bushman, I was previously unable to find that link, I guess that's because it says at the start "only use this area if directed to by Davis support staff"

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:52:05 AM by belfryboy »

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2012, 12:29:29 PM »
Sure you can!  Right off the Davis website.. In fact they promoted it when all the 5.9.3 issues arose.

Isn't 5.9.3 the latest version?  Released 11 months ago?  If so, what issues does it still have?

[Yeah, I know this is off-topic]

I switched back to 5.9.2a-beta, because with 5.9.3 I experienced big gaps in my CWOP uploads when it would attempt certain APRS servers.  In 5.9.2 this would crash WL.  In 5.9.2a-beta it would keep trying and eventually hit a working server.  In 5.9.3 if it times out, it would skip it, leaving gaps.  That's not Davis' fault (the slow reponse from certain APRS servers) but the 5.9.2a-beta seems to be the best solution for me.

I misplaced my CD shortly after my first installation.  Every move and re-install has been downloaded from the link mentioned above (5.9.3 and 5.9.2a-beta)

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »

I have made sure that this will not work with WeatherLink software, even though I now know how to. This is to prevent software piracy, which has previously been a problem.

It's good to be concerned about software piracy.  However...

A question:

I have a Davis serial logger, which includes a "license" for WeatherLink.  I have a copy of the WeatherLink Version 5.5 Installation CD, and I also purchased an Extra User License (Davis Part #: 06510X).  I have two consoles, and I'm considering getting one of these Dataloggers (probably with your wireless addition) so that I can connect to the second console and experiment with software on an additional PC.

It's my responsibility to be properly licensed.  So, why shouldn't the Datalogger (as delivered) work properly with WeatherLink?

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2012, 03:27:53 AM »
Dalecoy, you're right that it is your responsibility, however, if I were belfryboy, I would not want to do anything to "encourage" you to break the rules. Furthermore, I personally would also disable the unit from working with WL to avoid any possible future threats from Davis.  Theres no point in deliberatly upsetting them is there?  Sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie...
Woody

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2012, 11:06:07 AM »
So, it should be belfryboy's responsibility to make sure his hardware can't be used with software that's not properly licenses?  Including (for instance) Weather Display if I'm violating the license terms?

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »
Dalecoy,

I was working for McMurdo during the upset caused by Bluewave with their datalogger. One of the problems was piracy of Davis software.

Regardless I am not willing to make this work with Weatherlink, the hassles are potentially too much. I have done this for Vantage Pro/Vue users that previously wanted to get their data archived, but had no means to do this other than the Weatherlink route.

Besides if you have bought weatherlink than you have a datalogger, whats the problem? If you have multiple PC's then get another davis license, it's cheaper than my logger.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2012, 12:14:10 PM »
Who in their right mind would want to pirate Weatherlink  SW?  Heck, even Davis doesn't protect the code.  And at the end of the day, Davis cannot stop an INDIVIDUAL from producing  a device that works with WL.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
Dalecoy,
Regardless I am not willing to make this work with Weatherlink, the hassles are potentially too much....

OK, I respect your thoughtful decision.

Besides if you have bought weatherlink than you have a datalogger, whats the problem? If you have multiple PC's then get another davis license, it's cheaper than my logger.

Please re-read what I posted.  I already have another Davis (Extra User) license from a previous purchase.  And I have two consoles.

The point was that to use that second console for data capture, I need another logger.  And your hardware (with the wireless addition) seemed to offer an attractive way to do that conveniently.

However, it's clearly your call.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:27:11 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »
Including (for instance) Weather Display if I'm violating the license terms?
huh?
If users want to install WD on another pc they just need to email me for a new code, simple as that

was working for McMurdo during the upset caused by Bluewave with their datalogger.
I did wonder if you might have worked for them  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:39:51 PM by Weather Display »
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2012, 02:59:44 PM »
Including (for instance) Weather Display if I'm violating the license terms?
huh?
If users want to install WD on another pc they just need to email me for a new code, simple as that

I was just hunting a quick example.  I don't know (or want to know) how easy it would be to hack that code, etc  The point I was trying to make was the responsibility of hardware vendors.

Do we expect HP or Dell to be responsible for making sure their computers can't run pirated or unlicensed software?

Of course, if HP or Dell encouraged the use of pirated software, that would be another matter.  But I don't personally consider "ability to be used with WeatherLink" to be encouraging someone to do that.  [Regardless of whether Davis makes unprotected WeatherLink software freely available]

I don't have any problem with belfryboy doing whatever is his preference, of course.  I'm just saying that it's fundamentally the responsibility of the user to make sure the licensing is legitimate.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2012, 04:20:03 PM »
Of course, if HP or Dell encouraged the use of pirated software, that would be another matter.  But I don't personally consider "ability to be used with WeatherLink" to be encouraging someone to do that.  [Regardless of whether Davis makes unprotected WeatherLink software freely available]
As I said, Davis see it very differently!
I did wonder if you might have worked for them  ;)

Curiously, I found and nothing about the workings of the datalogger whilst working for them and have only recently discovered, through this forum, the inner workings of Davis kit. So I honestly have little insider or proprierty knowledge of their equipment.

As a service technician I found it almost impossible to understand the guts of their kit because the "training" revolved around;

"this is how to fix a faulty ISS, first take your screwdriver, removed faulty ISS, replace with working ISS, dispose of faulty ISS....."

I come from a background of component level fault finding, so once you get a feel for the circuit boards the rest just comes naturally.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2012, 04:44:37 PM »
well, I say, keep up the good work :)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2012, 05:19:22 PM »
Curiously, I found and nothing about the workings of the datalogger whilst working for them

That's not too surprising though Rob, is it? The VP logger is obviously potted and so there's essentially zero that you can do with it in the way of repair. Though Kevin clearly did work it out - maybe it's not too different from the 7862 logger, which was more open IIRC.

Don't the economics of any repairs also come into it? I guess that on average the total cost of repairing a board in engineer's time has to be eg $80-100 (unless it's an obvious fault like a supercap or a battery connector with a loose wire), by the time you factor in troubleshooting, diagnosis, repair and testing. So for something like a VP2 system it's just not going to cost-effective to do other than just to replace the board in general. I agree that it's shame that there's not more scope for repairs but I can see the economics involved.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
Sorry John, but I have to disagree with you to a degree. It is often very cost effective for a skilled technican to diagnose and repair a common fault in a relativly short period, before resorting to replacement. Remember we were supporting VP 1s at their end of life, with no supply of replacement boards, and any request for information was met with a resounding "no". The ill will that was felt towards Davis when customers were told that the best thing they could do was shell out for a VP2 was a little hard to swallow.

Reliability has improved, and the VP2 is well supported, so I would hope we are safe for now.

But I feel this is getting of topic.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2012, 04:17:36 AM »
Just to be clear (and at the risk of continuing the OT drift I know, but it's not an uninteresting point) automatic whole-board replacement is not a trend that I welcome. But if the marginal manufacturing cost of a board were say $25 (which is a total guess for an ISS board, but I suspect not wildly out) then it's fairly plain that - purely on business economic grounds - you can't allow an engineer to spend too long trying to fix a fault before it becomes more cost-effective just to replace it as a matter of course.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2012, 04:47:47 AM »
I would agree with you there John.

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2012, 02:58:53 PM »
Just a note pointing to this thread discussing the hack necessary to get DIY dataloggers recognized by Weatherlink, and belfryboy's intention to develop a new version of his design that incorporates this capability.  Followups regarding his clone logger should go there.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #119 on: March 09, 2012, 04:20:47 AM »
I have 5 USB Mk I loggers left, and 3 serial loggers (the serial loggers will work with WeatherLink) Price is still £50 this inludes worldwide postage. Once these are gone I shall produce the MK II USB logger (this will work with WeatherLink)

The Mk I loggers can be seen in action at these 2 sites

Penybont Weather From MaxHawkins

Milford Haven Weather From UKwoody

Please feel free to contact me.

Offline JHellis

• Grandpa as drawn by Grandson
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2012, 06:37:15 AM »
I can give a personal recomendation.

This cute little pakage works very well indeed.

And as a bonus it comes with flashing red and green LED, I mean, come on, it's got to be worth the 50 quid (quid = British slang for UK Pounds) just for the flashing lights!  ](*,)

BTW, it also records weather data very well!  \:D/

John
Davis Vantage Vue
Belfryboy Data Logger

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
I have just received the first 20 of the new WL enabled loggers! \:D/

I have tested one using the loopback feature, so these are now under full production and will be ready for sale in the next few days.

Price is still £50, and that includes worldwide shipping.

Newsflash.....
I have just checked the logger with my console and weatherlink, and they work perfectly!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 03:38:43 PM by belfryboy »

Offline Devonian

« Reply #122 on: April 24, 2012, 06:14:41 PM »
Have you thought of these for wireless transponders?
http://rf-store.com/index.php?s_phr=rfm&pv=search&view=2&PHPSESSID=997ggu3fqej8rsvgtc5gau7o04
Coupled to an Arduino, you have transmit and receive capability for not a lot of cost.
It can do fixed frequency, frequency hopping (Spread Spectrum) and send data in various modes with adjustable power levels.

Arduino library for the RFM22 (433MHz)
http://www.open.com.au/mikem/arduino/RF22/

Maybe use the Arduino to store data as well? (SD card shield).

I don't write software as I'm more a hardware kind of guy, but there is quite a bit of open source code around if you google it out.

Nigel.

Offline Andiadm

« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2012, 02:12:53 AM »
If the logger had a WLan interface added or the board had a layout that one could be soldered in I would buy it immedeately. I am currently using http://www.rovingnetworks.com/products/RN_174 and it works like a charm.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2012, 03:28:24 AM »
If the logger had a WLan interface added or the board had a layout that one could be soldered in I would buy it immedeately. I am currently using http://www.rovingnetworks.com/products/RN_174 and it works like a charm.
The serial logger would do this, it has an RS232 output.