Author Topic: VP2 'Mega-Station' Config  (Read 767 times)

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
VP2 'Mega-Station' Config
« on: February 14, 2023, 08:23:52 PM »
For quite some time now (since last spring), I've been planning out the 'ultimate' wx station setup, or as ultimate as I am willing to go for.  After a nice bonus and raise at work, I've started to purchase what I need (wife is super excited...).  I'll be doing all of this in phases.

Core Station - Mounted straddling a 6ft wood fence in the middle of my backyard

-VP2 6163, base of station just above the top of the fence, and anemometer mounted at 3m.
-WLL as the logger here at my desk.
-Leaf/Soil Transmitter (full station, sensor details as I continue below), mounted horizontally across from the ISS at the same height.
-Radiation Shield 7714, mounted below the L/S transmitter, with a single temp sensor in it from the transmitter (idea is to be able to see the difference between 24hr aspirated air temp and 'natural' aspirated air temp).
-Leaf Wetness sensor, mounted above the L/S transmitter and slightly forward (directionally, to the south) because...
-Custom Is-Raining sensor, mounted behind, on a 30 deg angle, and slightly above the leaf wetness sensor.
From the L/S transmitter above, I'll have one (the 2nd) temp sensor running to my shed about 50ft south, a temp (3rd) sensor and soil moisture sensor running to the lawn below and slightly east of the station, and a temp (4th) sensor and soil moisture sensor running north along the fence and then slicing at a NE angle into the lawn in the front yard.
In addition to the above, at a 90 degree angle to the orientation of the station bracket setup, and several feet higher, I'll have a Microsferics lightning detector (already worked out all of the mounting setup to ensure I am not going to deal with interference), and opposite of that and slightly lower in elevation, a custom-configured Allsky camera.

Fence Station - Mounted on a 6x6 on the other side of the yard on the east side of my property

-Leaf/Soil Transmitter, mounted about 5' up (not relevant anyway).
-Soil moisture and temperature sensor running to the lawn below and slightly to the NW.
-Temperature sensor running along the fence and into my pool (another project in the works lol).

Roof Transmitter - Mounted on a grounded fence rail at the peak of the roof, with the top of the pole about 5' above the peak

-Sensor Transmitter, self explanatory, right? Mounted just above the bottom of the pole as I don't want to climb higher than I already am...
-Anemometer, the big goal here to have a second anemometer to get 10m wind speeds as compared to the 3m.
-Temp Sensor, running from the transmitter, through the soffit and into the attic to get the mid-summer central NC attic temp.

WLL will take over logging for my existing Vue so that the multiple stations can be easily handled.  However, due to the lack of editing options for data with WLL, I do not want to just 'stop' at that.  I've been a Cumulus user for years and know the product inside and out.  However, the lack of APIv2, thus lack of handling the second anemometer, is a problem.  My current website is just the base site provided with Cumulus (I migrated away from my Meteotemplate site a year or so ago and have not spent the time to bring up a new one besides the base site).

I know I could run a second instance of CMX and then have all the data from each instance feed to the not-yet-in-existence website, as that is what can take over for my primary viewing (as opposed to the CMX customized dashboard I am using) as well as end users.  Or, I could forgo CMX and utilize Weather Display which I know can handle that second anemometer.  Regardless, when I am ready to work on the new site, I will probably utilize the Saratoga templates.

So with all the above said, suggestions???  I've purchased and setup, but not yet mounted, the VP2 itself and WLL.  But otherwise, nothing else has yet been purchased.  Main concerns in the end will be the ability to edit data (a must), ability to send the sanitized data to 3rd parties (cocorahs for instance), and finally a clean yet customizable viewing option (monitor size and number are not an issue).  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 08:42:25 PM by stefanbagnato »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: VP2 'Mega-Station' Config
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 08:34:00 PM »
Radiation Shield 7714, mounted below the L/S transmitter, with a single temp sensor in it from the transmitter (idea is to be able to see the difference between 24hr radiated air temp and 'natural' radiated air temp).
Just as an FYI, in this instance "radiated" is not the term you're looking for...it's aspirated vs passive. Regardless, have fun!

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
Re: VP2 'Mega-Station' Config
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 08:42:56 PM »
Radiation Shield 7714, mounted below the L/S transmitter, with a single temp sensor in it from the transmitter (idea is to be able to see the difference between 24hr radiated air temp and 'natural' radiated air temp).
Just as an FYI, in this instance "radiated" is not the term you're looking for...it's aspirated vs passive. Regardless, have fun!

Yes, good call!  I had to fix that.