Author Topic: Davis vantage pro2  (Read 2482 times)

Offline pyejam

Davis vantage pro2
« on: December 03, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »
I believe I want to purchase the pro2. Two questions...what is my best method to get the data to weather underground? Also, I live in an area that loses power frequently and still want tocapytee and upload that data. Is that possible?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Davis vantage pro2
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 11:16:55 PM »
Last question. Yes, in normal time by installing some form of primary backup power to the station and router/modem to handle the main power loses or the least option is to use the VP2 backup capability (which isn't very good/long if using IP loggers) which will allow the station to continue running/logging at which time when the main power comes back will upload the backlog.

By far the better method is some form of UPS running the station & router full time   

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:47:37 AM »
Depends on how complex you want to get. The console itself has 3 C batteries, so that will last a little while (hours to days, don't remember exact time frame).

A laptop (which has a battery obviously) directly connected to the console is the most sure fire way, but if you want something small, a Meteobridge with a small backup power supply will work too.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 03:59:25 AM »
Assuming VP2 console & WLIP less than 2 days (Envoy less than 1 day), to use a standard (serial type) logger then one would be reliant on a continuously operating PC and that creates additional overheads and power requirements.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 06:34:10 AM »
I use a Laptop and UPS and anything over a Hour with out power, I fire up a 10Kw Generator................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
Depends on how complex you want to get. The console itself has 3 C batteries, so that will last a little while (hours to days, don't remember exact time frame).

A laptop (which has a battery obviously) directly connected to the console is the most sure fire way, but if you want something small, a Meteobridge with a small backup power supply will work too.
" The Vantage Vue console does not require the use of an AC adapter. You may use the included adapter if you wish, but three C-cell batteries (not included) should power a wireless console for up to nine months."  - Davis

Your archive interval choice will determine how many days of archiving you get.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »
" The Vantage Vue console does not require the use of an AC adapter. You may use the included adapter if you wish, but three C-cell batteries (not included) should power a wireless console for up to nine months."  - Davis

Though as Mattk says, this is clearly not true when the IP logger is fitted. Personally, I think that the batteries are best taken out with an IP logger and a UPS used on the mains supply - that's better than having the IP logger stall after some hours of battery-only use and then not always restart properly when the power comes back on after an outage.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »
I power BOTH my modem and my Vue Console with WL-IP dongle from an APC 350VA UPS...the modem needs to be working too if you want your data transmitted (assuming only LOCAL power outage)!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:08:42 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
Personally, I think that the batteries are best taken out with an IP logger and a UPS used on the mains supply

I'm curious - why remove the batteries in that case?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 01:06:30 PM »

The batteries run down pretty quickly in the event of an outage (especially if not brand new) and in the past I'm sure that I've had IP systems with batteries+mains fail to reboot properly after a mains outage. Not 100% sure what the cause was, but guessing that the batteries fairly quickly reach a voltage where they cannot support error-free Ethernet comms but the rest of the circuitry is trying to keep going. Or something like that!
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 01:34:57 PM »

The batteries run down pretty quickly in the event of an outage (especially if not brand new) and in the past I'm sure that I've had IP systems with batteries+mains fail to reboot properly after a mains outage. Not 100% sure what the cause was, but guessing that the batteries fairly quickly reach a voltage where they cannot support error-free Ethernet comms but the rest of the circuitry is trying to keep going. Or something like that!

Yes.  However:
Personally, I think that the batteries are best taken out with an IP logger and a UPS used on the mains supply

You specified having a UPS.  Wouldn't the batteries provide a (perhaps just a few hours) additional bit of safety, if the UPS runs out of power? 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 02:03:02 PM »
You specified having a UPS.  Wouldn't the batteries provide a (perhaps just a few hours) additional bit of safety, if the UPS runs out of power?

I'd regard it as safer to have the unit reboot correctly after an outage rather than have the unit 'stalled' and potentially offline for an extended period until the lack of fresh data was noticed - that's the point I'm making. But admittedly it's not a fault state that I've investigated a lot.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
The trick is to try and ensure the Console/Envoy/logger combination doesn't have to reboot which can be a bit of a call in a remote situation using a WLIP, not always possible but it's all a matter of time, how much time do you require on backup and internal batteries just don't cut it?

Considering a serial logger runs 1 milliamp and WLIP around 100 milliamp it's not that difficult to gauge which is the better logger "option" when longevity is required but as far a data loss then this is also linked to the archive interval, not much point having 3-4 months backup if the logger starts to roll over after a few weeks, you will still have a hole in the data.     

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
The trick is to try and ensure the Console/Envoy/logger combination doesn't have to reboot which can be a bit of a call in a remote situation using a WLIP...

Well yeah, but the majority of users need a simple solution. UPS is probably  as far as most users wish to go. For remote locations (assuming a cell signal is available) then Connect or EM would be the preferred solution.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »
The trick is to try and ensure the Console/Envoy/logger combination doesn't have to reboot which can be a bit of a call in a remote situation using a WLIP...

Well yeah, but the majority of users need a simple solution. UPS is probably  as far as most users wish to go. For remote locations (assuming a cell signal is available) then Connect or EM would be the preferred solution.

....Connect or EM would be the preferred solution....
Well yes maybe in the case of users who want a plug and play solution while being locked into what is essentially a propriety system but even for non remote sites I believe there has to be a better option as far as the internal battery type backup, this has always been a PITA right from the WMII days