Author Topic: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.  (Read 57381 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« on: March 12, 2020, 09:51:24 AM »
Not meant to be a political thread.

It is crazy right now. Do what needs to be done to stay healthy and safe. Don't watch the Today show.

With that said-I took a leave from teaching. I have been home 3 weeks. Stress, disrespect, lack of support, rising heart rate and BP and developing anxiety was just too much. Total burnout. Even looking for a job outside of education.

This virus talk is not helping. I try not to watch the news.

We have already cancelled one trip to CA.  We may be cancelling the one to NYC for a college visit and Broadway intensive for kid #2.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:55:59 AM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Hope everyone is ok...Wash your hands.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 10:22:49 AM »
I'm also one that probably over worries but sometimes it does have advantages because I started prepping well over a month ago with supplies so never had any issues finding what I needed.

Good luck with your job search.
Randy

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 12:48:39 PM »
There will be an epic fallout before it's all over.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »
I work in higher education, and today is day one for everyone working from home.  Only three days ago, the president was still adamant that we would NEVER, EVER have a work-from-home policy.  Now, we sent all of the resident students home, and transitioned to online format classes for the next 2.5 weeks minimum.

The NY State governor ordered all state (SUNY) and NYC (CUNY) schools to transition to online-only for the rest of the spring semester (mid-May).  Other big schools like Princeton are following suit.

I was watching the early TV news on the NYC CBS affiliate this morning, and noticed that they have had a lot of second and third-string reporters on camera.  I think that it was yesterday that they announced two people in the CBS network news department tested positive, and the NYC local newsroom is in the same building.  They had their third-string weather woman doing her reports from their storm vehicle out in Columbus Circle, where they normally do it in-studio.  Their traffic woman was not in, and they were sorta filling her void with audio reports with camera video from their news chopper.

Interesting times we live in.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 02:29:41 PM »
The weather in Des Moines is cloudy and might rain, snow this weekend, but then it melts later.    I just got off of facebook commenting that a friend of mine (real friend)  is pissed off because she can't go to her credit union and get a free bag of popcorn. Trust me this lady licks her fingers.

The three state Universities in Iowa have extended spring break and now going online.  Grinnell college  is closing until June, canceling commencement and every class online as of tomorrow. 

Take precautions seriously. I'd even go as far as buying some rubber gloves , the surgical kind for going out and about in public, then tossing them in the trash and washing your hands.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 03:53:43 PM »
Not trying to scare anyone we have enough already. I was listening to some of the interviews with Infectious Disease expert Michael Osterholm explaining why this is so contagious. The primary way it infects is through the air secondary is touching face eyes nose.

Those people on the Crusie Liners stood no chance and why so many caught it. They recirculated the air on the ships so quarantine people to their rooms was the worst thing they could have done.

We really need to wear N95 mask in public or keep a 10-foot distance. I'm sure once the supply is built up so everyone can have a mask it will be recommended to wear in public. I wish the CDC would just be honest about this.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 04:05:43 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
Never touch a public door knob with a bare hand. Also those pens in stores that you need to use to use to sign credit card pads -- never was a very good idea.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 04:40:15 PM »
Gas station pump handles are bad also. Crazy days we find ourselves mixed up in... The most important thing is to not panic.

Offline Waimarie

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
We really need to wear N95 mask in public or keep a 10-foot distance. I'm sure once the supply is built up so everyone can have a mask it will be recommended to wear in public. I wish the CDC would just be honest about this.

I worked on the "Bird Flu" threat a few years back for the NZ Government and one of the main issues we found was the ignorance around face masks.  N95 for the general public is a non-starter.  Very few will be able to get an air tight seal around the mask and without that there is little point in using one.  The biggest advantage of wearing any mask in this situation is to stop people touching their faces which is how the virus can get into the lungs, not from breathing it in.  For this a cheap paper filter mask is just as good as a full blown N95/P2 mask.
Fine Offset WH3081 (Deceased)
Mi-Sol  WH2900C
Ecowitt HP2553
Ecowitt GW 1000 915MHz
Ecowitt GW 1000 433MHz
Ecowitt WH31
Ecowitt WH51
Ecowitt WH57
WU: IFEATH6
WOW: 910486001

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »

I worked on the "Bird Flu" threat a few years back for the NZ Government and one of the main issues we found was the ignorance around face masks.  N95 for the general public is a non-starter.  Very few will be able to get an air tight seal around the mask and without that there is little point in using one.  The biggest advantage of wearing any mask in this situation is to stop people touching their faces which is how the virus can get into the lungs, not from breathing it in.  For this a cheap paper filter mask is just as good as a full blown N95/P2 mask.

The paper one size fits all are what we are talking about as long as they have an N95 rating.  The rubber cartridge type need to be fitted yearly.  I've worn both since 1978 in the fossil fuel power industry. 
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 05:27:24 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »
Unprecedented...NCAA tournament canceled, men and women; NHL canceled; MLB spring training canceled with at least a two week delay to the regular season. Already getting stir-crazy... :shock:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 06:05:01 PM »
Live tracking of every plane in the air at this very moment. Second image is a close-up. After midnight tonight no more flights in, with some exceptions. It will be interesting to see what this looks like tomorrow.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 06:07:33 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 06:37:56 PM »
Hopefully this won't get to a 9/11 scenario where not one single aircraft, except military, was airborne over the US a few hours after the second tower fell. That would trash the economy even worse than Wall Street.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2020, 06:52:00 PM »
Tonight's local TV news on their NYC station was out of the CBS Los Angeles news studio, using the Los Angeles anchor.  The NYC regular evening weather guy was reporting from the empty streets of a village on coastal Connecticut, using what I assume is their second storm remote truck because they have two and one was in NYC for the morning broadcasts.  The weather guy didn't even know the name of the anchor that he was throwing back to at the end of his segment.  Remember, this guy is in the #1 TV market in the country, and frequently appears on the CBS network news when there is a weather story in the northeast.  It is obvious that there is a lot of confusion in their shared NYC broadcast center right now.

In terms of content, it looks like a few of the NYC field reporters are still filing stories, but everything was about Coronavirus.  It also looked like the Los Angeles folks were scraping the national virus stuff to fill the rest of the 30 minutes.  Not one subway turnstile jumper, bodega robbery, parking scandal, or "feels good" filler piece.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 07:05:47 PM »
I'm glad I don't need toilet paper.  The east side Wal-Mart in Stillwater was totally sold out of toilet paper.  I guess people associate flu with the runs.

OSU and OU in Oklahoma have extended spring break and will go online.   Thunder basketball game in Oklahoma City was suddenly canceled because a Utah Jazz player tested positive.  Cher concert in OKC got canceled.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 07:10:05 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 07:17:11 PM »
Speaking of TP I read a lot of funny jokes on social media yesterday, Like

" If the first thing you do when you panic is buy toilet paper. You suck at panicking. "
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 07:19:26 PM »
Speaking of TP I read a lot of funny jokes on social media yesterday, Like

" If the first thing you do when you panic is buy toilet paper. You suck at panicking. "
[tup]

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 08:44:57 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 03:34:56 AM »
How did China defeat the spread? Aggressive “social distancing” measures implemented in the entire country included canceling sporting events and shuttering theaters. Schools extended breaks that began in mid-January for the Lunar New Year. Many businesses closed shop. Anyone who went outdoors had to wear a mask.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/china-s-aggressive-measures-have-slowed-coronavirus-they-may-not-work-other-countries
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 04:29:23 AM »
Tests indicate HCoV-19 can survive through air transmission is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days,"

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487110-tests-indicate-coronavirus-can-survive-in-the-air?fbclid=IwAR1wj-VwIhrc7xaUpng6510FPBYI_vT7FGtkhWYr_G61muSS0RRLgNDVvtA&mod=article_inline
Randy

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 05:37:29 AM »
This is the scary scenario that can happen.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/

This already happens:  it's called triage.

Triage of combat situation proportions was the point. If you let it overrun you the next wave of patients will be the PTSD of the ones who had to make those calls.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »
My school district closed today. Parent says he/she was in contact with someone with CV.

taking caution.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.